1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake pad dust

Discussion in 'Suspension Steering Brakes' started by Keaney, 6 Sep 2017.

1. Keaney

Keaney Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Had my T6 nearly a week now and the alloys are starting to look rather dusty off the brake pads.

Has anyone changed them to something similar to ebc red stuff? Doesn't look like they do them for the T6 yet.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Sep 2017
  2. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 VCDS User Admin Moderator VIP Member

Map
    I opted to coat the wheels in Gtechniq C5 so most doesn't stick and rest washes off really easy.

3. Keaney

Keaney Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Yeah I plan on going to that after using the last of my poor boys stuff but still seems like a lot of dust considering it's done only 100 miles or so

4. MikeB

MikeB Member T6 Pro

I seem to recall reading that new pads have some form of break-in layer - certainly the pads on our van produced a lot of dust in the first few hundred miles and seem to produce much less now (just over 1,000). Likewise my car which had new pads and discs recently.

5. Tourershine

Tourershine Senior Citizen VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Just to revive this thread.

I'm due new front brake pads, and possibly discs. Has anyone found a better pad than original that doesn't dust up so quickly.
    Although my new steel wheels are nice and easy to clean, they do dust up from the front pads really quickly. I'm wondering if there's a better option that someone else has actually tested out.

T6180 likes this.
  6. T6180

T6180 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

I think the EBC ones produce less brake dust but need to look into this more :thumbsdown:

7. Tourershine

Map
    I know thats what they claim, but wondered if anyone had actually had a set.
    My issue is, I can have a full set of Brembo front brake pads and discs from EuroCarParts for less than £150 delivered, but I can guarantee that even though it's through the Reg number, they will be wrong knowing my luck. It just seems quite cheap.

T6180 likes this.
  8. Loz

Map
    I’ve had EBC in the past and they were better. I was going to switch to them when I need a set.

T6180 likes this.
  9. Tourershine

Map
    Better as in less dust?

10. Loz

Map
    Yes, and for the Touareg the discs were painted so looked better and no rust.

T6180 and Tourershine like this.
  11. Tourershine

Map
    Sorry, I don't know what I asked that question. Too many beers and eyes fixed on tennis matches for waaaaaaaayyyyy too long. (Go Anderson:thumbsup:)

12. Coradia63

Coradia63 Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
  13. Dannyb6467

Dannyb6467 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Surely the rear brake grinding that almost all 204 Kombis suffer with is reason not to put OEM pads and discs back on.
    What have other members used?

14. andythom188

andythom188 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Ebc green stuff i found where very good

T6180 likes this.