Brake pad dust

Keaney

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Had my T6 nearly a week now and the alloys are starting to look rather dusty off the brake pads.

Has anyone changed them to something similar to ebc red stuff? Doesn't look like they do them for the T6 yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I opted to coat the wheels in Gtechniq C5 so most doesn't stick and rest washes off really easy.

Yeah I plan on going to that after using the last of my poor boys stuff but still seems like a lot of dust considering it's done only 100 miles or so

I seem to recall reading that new pads have some form of break-in layer - certainly the pads on our van produced a lot of dust in the first few hundred miles and seem to produce much less now (just over 1,000). Likewise my car which had new pads and discs recently.

Just to revive this thread.

I'm due new front brake pads, and possibly discs. Has anyone found a better pad than original that doesn't dust up so quickly.
Although my new steel wheels are nice and easy to clean, they do dust up from the front pads really quickly. I'm wondering if there's a better option that someone else has actually tested out.

Just to revive this thread.

I'm due new front brake pads, and possibly discs. Has anyone found a better pad than original that doesn't dust up so quickly.
Although my new steel wheels are nice and easy to clean, they do dust up from the front pads really quickly. I'm wondering if there's a better option that someone else has actually tested out.

I think the EBC ones produce less brake dust but need to look into this more :thumbsdown:

I think the EBC ones produce less brake dust but need to look into this more :thumbsdown:

I know thats what they claim, but wondered if anyone had actually had a set.
My issue is, I can have a full set of Brembo front brake pads and discs from EuroCarParts for less than £150 delivered, but I can guarantee that even though it's through the Reg number, they will be wrong knowing my luck. It just seems quite cheap.

I’ve had EBC in the past and they were better. I was going to switch to them when I need a set.

Yes, and for the Touareg the discs were painted so looked better and no rust.

Sorry, I don't know what I asked that question. Too many beers and eyes fixed on tennis matches for waaaaaaaayyyyy too long. (Go Anderson:thumbsup:)

Surely the rear brake grinding that almost all 204 Kombis suffer with is reason not to put OEM pads and discs back on.
What have other members used?

saw something on another forum where someone got discs and pads from MTEC discs were grooved and dimpled plus he paid extra for corrosive treatment (silver,gold or black available) the pads wear the treatment off the disc face but the outer edges and centres don't rust.never used them myself or know if the coating lasts but thought I would throw it out there.

The OE pads on my 2017 T32 produce a frankly ridiculous amount of brake dust.

Does anyone know of, or have direct experience of, any low dust ceramic brake pads for T6 variants? I've had a quick look but nothing coming up with the obvious suppliers.

TIA :thumbsup:

I barely use my van, maybe one or two short trips on a weekend and the dust my pads give off is ridiculous. Also the rust! I’ve never had a car that once you finish cleaning and drying it it looks perfect but soon as you drive it rusty water appears from some hidden area of the brakes covering the clean wheels.

It annoys me that much I now wash the van, drive it round the block, dry it and take the wheels off and clean them individually. Takes me ages but I can’t leave all that rusty crap on my wheels!

Pics from Sunday! And to make it worse the heavens opened soon after :mad:

02728B72-DCCC-413A-95BF-B8C89F14DFF8.jpeg

Back