Brake Change Prices

My Pagid front and rears are painted to stop them looking unsightly and rusty on the edges.

Just had mine in for a service. Advised to change both discs and pads all around. Need to find a good local independent I'm sure that the price will be better. 30500 miles covered from new. Not that impressed they don't seem to have lasted long . California 4x4 204 and auto.

From memory VW would normally recommend a disc change every second pad set...

I just depends on the disk condition regarding the lip edge, overall thickness and corrosion.

I've had 4 sets of rear pads before changing the rear disks in the past..

Depends on how heavy the van is and how heavy your breaking is. Motorway heavy decelerations will wear both out quicker that light urban commutes.

Of course VW will always recommend a a full set of pads and disks.........

Just had mine in for a service. Advised to change both discs and pads all around. Need to find a good local independent I'm sure that the price will be better. 30500 miles covered from new. Not that impressed they don't seem to have lasted long . California 4x4 204 and auto.

Mine's 3.5 years old with 33k on but the pads have already been changed. An auto will always chomp through the brakes quicker too usually.

I had to change my rear disk and pads at 16k! Badly rusted disks and they ground the pads down on the inside to nothing.
I posted a how to for the rears, got Brembo from ECP
C6720CE2-4DCC-497A-8C3A-F637F50616C5.png

I had to change my rear disk and pads at 16k! Badly rusted disks and they ground the pads down on the inside to nothing.
View attachment 45176
Half the price I paid, are they easy to do? Might have to invest in some proper gear.
I've just been charged £750 to replace all.

Am I reading this correctly - you need new discs on a sub-3 year old vehicle? My T3 had new discs after 25 years but they were not worn out - still well within specs. Has longevity declined that much on VW parts? Pads are a general service item but discs?
Back in the days of the T3, brake pads probably still contained asbestos and disks were solid chunks of iron that never wore out. Nowadays, disks are made of material to compliment (give best retardation) the healthier stuff that the pads are made from and as a result are almost as sacrificial as the pads. The also rust a lot more.

You can grind a lip off the edge of the disk, but the only way to get rid of a corrosion ridge in the middle of the working surface would be to get it skimmed (assuming it would still be above minimum thickness). Fitting new pads and hoping that they will "clean" up the disk doesn't work as the pads end up with a groove worn in them that just exacerbates the problem.

Thankfully changing disks is generally easier than it used to be.

Oh, and its generally recommended not to use copper grease on brake componants any more, but use a dedicated brake grease.

The above is just my own opinion - I am not a proffesional mechanic, just a keen amateur.

View attachment 45176
Loz, I guess its difficult to access, but would you think these pads/discs are at least as good as VW-OEM?

Loz, I guess its difficult to access, but would you think these pads/discs are at least as good as VW-OEM?
Better, purely because of the disks are painted and UV coated.
There are only a few friction material makers and Brembo pads are probably made for them by Pagid but their kit has always been top notch in my opinion.

2 x Brembo rear discs with Brembo pads from Euro Car Parts, £117.47. Need to act quick though and reserve by midnight tonight, using code SALE60. Pick up from your local store in a couple of days.

Does anyone know what's involved with converting to the bigger front discs? Are the calipers the same and just a different mount and disc?

Does anyone know what's involved with converting to the bigger front discs? Are the calipers the same and just a different mount and disc?

I was wondering this today too, when I noticed ECP sell calipers also. When it comes time to change the front discs and pads, would sourcing the larger calipers and caliper carriers be all that's needed. Good time to change the brake fluid if the calipers are getting changed. However, would it be a mod that can only be done on the T32 hub and strut assembly, or could it be done across the board.

I was wondering this today too, when I noticed ECP sell calipers also. When it comes time to change the front discs and pads, would sourcing the larger calipers and caliper carriers be all that's needed. Good time to change the brake fluid if the calipers are getting changed. However, would it be a mod that can only be done on the T32 hub and strut assembly, or could it be done across the board.
The calipers are two pot large type with a larger disc as the smaller set up are single pot calipers with smaller disc ! I have looked at changing my small brakes but just buying the calipers alone will fetch you back around £600 second hand then you need the discs and pads , the only other way is to go is aftermarket aluminium 4 pot calipers and discs which will set you back in excess of £1600 depending on the brand

Back