Brake Cost Replacement

MrGreen

Couple of questions:

I have a T28 T6.1 and want to get an idea of brake replacement costs before I visit the VW dealer. An oil service is supposed to be £216, but a dealer just quoted me £275 so I can see they’re charging whatever they like.

1. How much have people paid VW to fit new brake pads?

2. How much have people paid VW to fit new brake discs?

3. What depth are on VW pads? I think it’s 10mm maximum, 2mm minimum.

4. What depth are on VW discs? Maximum and minimum.

Thanks.

Always cheaper to book online (or use your local VW independent).

Attachments

• Online Service Booking _ VW Vans.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 28
You'll not get much change from £1k if you use VW for a full set of disks and pads. Criminal.

I recently changed my backs myself, so not specifically the question you asked but gives you an idea of parts costs. I didn't buy anything flash just Eicher discs and pads and I got em from Halfords as they are local to me and with the trade discount worked out cheapest. Normally about £80, trade was £65..fitted them in about an hour.

The previous owner of my Van had a bill of 870 quid to replace front and rear disks+pads. Vw main dealer invoice dated 2019.

The previous owner of my Van had a bill of 870 quid to replace front and rear disks+pads. Vw main dealer invoice dated 2019.
I recently paid £900 for my partners golf discs and pads all round. I was ready to cry...but it failed its mot and we were mid house moved from the north east to south west and just didn't have time to diy myself. To be fair to halfords the did them as plan and you get replacement pads in future, I paid for convience ,hassle free and short notice which is what I got

Vw commercial st albans quoted £660 for front and rear pads when mine was in for a service. I knew the front was low so expected them to pick up on it but thought it was pushing it saying rears needed doing. I changed them myself £76 for front and rear pads from local auto factors. Main dealers labour rates for pads and discs are a joke labour rates work out £2/300 a hr.

At my last VW service, probs May 2022, they told me I needed new pads as they were worn I think 55%. So I bought uprated discs and pads and did it myself.
When I took the ‘old’ pads off they had about as much meat on as a new set. I’ve actually kept them they are that good.
Bunch of scammers.

Last edited:
Same here.
VWCV dealer told me my discs and pads needed replacing front and rear.
Just had them checked by an independent and they said there’s 20,000 miles still left on them.

Just had all brakes & pads (front & rear) done at WAS in Worcester for just under £500. They're more conveniently located for me than the official VW place in Tewkesbury, but they're also more human, cheaper, and I just have a better feeling about them. Not that the VW place ever told me I needed something I didn't and they were perfectly fine, but I just like that personal touch you get from an independent and that feeling you get that they really know their stuff and are actually interested in what they do. Looking at previous comments at the prices VW are charging for brakes, I'm glad I went independent! Very happy with WAS (sister company of & next door to Dirty Weekender van conversions) VW T6 2016

Just had front and rear pads done today on our T6.1 at VW van centre Derby, £495. Thank god we didn’t have to pick up this bill as they are covered in the cost of our lease. Wheelchair user or not I would try and do them myself at that price if it was a van I owned :eek::eek:

Back