Bognor Motors TVS + REVO remap

Is there much difference between the boxes in different vans? I dont seem to have what most people complain of in this thread. This is the 4th vehicle I have had with a DSG/ S-tronic box. (TT, A1 and a Golf GTD)

Man, I so desperately want this. The lethargy of my DSG box is unreal, which i do find surprising because my skoda, with the 6 speed DSG and 184ps, is so much more responsive.

But being less than 1 yr into my warranty I'm just a bit terrified of invalidating any warranty over the box

The way I looked at mine throughout all my ownership and modifications, is I'm not waiting 3 years to actually get it how I wanted it.
Warranty or not, it's my van, I pay for it and if something was to go wrong because of anything I'd done to improve on VW's work, then on my head be it.

I'd have a new 6.1 booked in for an engine mapping and box map pretty much instantly to get the best out my driving ownership and experience.

Is there much difference between the boxes in different vans? I dont seem to have what most people complain of in this thread. This is the 4th vehicle I have had with a DSG/ S-tronic box. (TT, A1 and a Golf GTD)

Yes although all the same they do all behave differently with some worse than others. Outcome is the same though, which will be to improve how your vehicle drives.

The way I looked at mine throughout all my ownership and modifications, is I'm not waiting 3 years to actually get it how I wanted it.
Warranty or not, it's my van, I pay for it and if something was to go wrong because of anything I'd done to improve on VW's work, then on my head be it.

I'd have a new 6.1 booked in for an engine mapping and box map pretty much instantly to get the best out my driving ownership and experience.

Dammit dont get all logical! But yeah i do get your point, entirely. Better stick this in the budget then...

I had a DSG Passat in the past and wasn't happy with it so I was hesitant when spec'ing the van but I really wanted an automatic. The test van I drove was a 150 and I'd agree it somehow felt better than the 199 but that was a small, gentle test drive.

Now that I've driven a few hundred miles in mine I have all the symptoms described above. I just can't understand how so much time, effort, and expense can go into developing systems like this and then a short period of driving highlights such flaws... the missus growls every time I attempt to pull away from a junction briskly... press the accelerator, not much happens, so you instinctively press harder, then the gearbox realises you want to go forward and engages the clutch sending the wheels into a spin. Loutish behaviour! Then you approach a roundabout cautiously, spot a opportunity to go, step on the peddle and, nothing happens... cue a squirming wife who now believes I deliberately waited too long to pull out and then didn't get a move on when I eventually did. My Mercedes slush box was so much more responsive, was almost always in the correct gear, and I can't say that the changes felt any slower than the DSG.

This software update sounds like the code VW should have put in the thing in the first place but, given how complex and costly a DSG gearbox issue could be, I wouldn't want to give VW any excuses to wriggle out of repairs.

150 better than the 199? What nonsense! ;)

Yes although all the same they do all behave differently with some worse than others. Outcome is the same though, which will be to improve how your vehicle drives.
Interesting point Oli, you say outcome is the same in that they all improve, but have you noticed any difference between actual vehicles post TVS remap? So does a vehicle that starts with a fairly laggy box end up being exactly the same post map as one that wasn't particularly laggy to begin with, or will the delta always be the same?

We've only mapped customers TSIs - We had our TSI two years before we became a TVS dealer unfortunately.

It works with any Transporter to be fair, and then depending on the power/torque, it may well be worth looking at Stage 2+ for a mapped transporter TSI

OK thanks for that, we have ours booked in Monday for the drivability upgrade, I doubt a TSI with just a remap to around 300bhp will be putting out any more torque than a 204 BiTdi would as standard so probably not much to be gained from stage 2 until further engine mods?

Had the TVS remap done Monday and really happy with the changes. Feels so much more refined now and pulling off from standing is now predictable and "normal" feeling. The van chuggs along nicely in a civilised gear now instead of holding onto low gears unnecessarily and labouring in high gears when a down shift seems more appropriate. As said by many people, this is how the van should drive from the start! Best money spent on the van since Koni/H&R suspension! Recommend!

That’s great to hear more positive feedback. It’s really does make the van drive how it should have driven out of the factory.

@BognorMotors loved the van from day one but the TSI remap, suspension and now DSG map are making it so much better than VW ever could.... or would. We're quite far from you so had them done in Sheffield but only found out the DSG map was a thing reading your thread about it so a thanks is in order. Cheers :thumbsup:

No worries we like to help all near or far, and are always happy to recommend garages around the country if we are too far.

No worries we like to help all near or far, and are always happy to recommend garages around the country if we are too far.

Hi,
love the thread and a great interesting read. Think I am sold on the TVs dsg upgrade now. I am not after better speed, acceleration etc but to be a lot smoother ride. I have never really felt I was in total control at some junctions, using ramps etc.
I read and see some have or have not upgraded engine, just the box. I have a 2016 204 so plenty of power available for my needs but I feel VW over these short years have really slugged the mill with the last s/w upgrade being increase the amount of add blue being used.
it would be good I think to have the engine work as best it can with current hardware attached.(ie, not removing egr or depleting the inners of a dpf)

Any advice welcome for engine remap or not would be helpful.

As I am here in West Wales a trip south for upgrade is a fair jaunt for me, can you(Bmv) recommend a good installer to do dsg?

Thanks again in advance and thanks to everyone who contribute to all of the threads, some real informative reads.

You really want both, engine and box. My 204 with a Revo engine map and TVS gearbox map work really nicely together, so much more effortless, none of that silly hesitation or chopping/changing gears unnecessarily. I don’t drive my bus hard at all, I’m a smooth driver and sympathetic to the mechanical side of things, but if you need to press on a bit the power is there all the way through the rev band.

Hi,
love the thread and a great interesting read. Think I am sold on the TVs dsg upgrade now. I am not after better speed, acceleration etc but to be a lot smoother ride. I have never really felt I was in total control at some junctions, using ramps etc.
I read and see some have or have not upgraded engine, just the box. I have a 2016 204 so plenty of power available for my needs but I feel VW over these short years have really slugged the mill with the last s/w upgrade being increase the amount of add blue being used.
it would be good I think to have the engine work as best it can with current hardware attached.(ie, not removing egr or depleting the inners of a dpf)

Any advice welcome for engine remap or not would be helpful.

As I am here in West Wales a trip south for upgrade is a fair jaunt for me, can you(Bmv) recommend a good installer to do dsg?

Thanks again in advance and thanks to everyone who contribute to all of the threads, some real informative reads.

You can go for the TVS by itself, we do loads of standard vans, its such a great improvement over the standard settings.

The Revo just takes it to the next level , and both softwares just compliment each other perfectly

Just think a drive to Sunny Bognor Regis, get your software uploaded, and you'll have a much more fun drive back ;-). Im not sure exactly where you are but Im sure there isn't a dealer in Wales - I think maybe Litchfield are your nearest dealer?

Back