Bognor Motors TVS + REVO remap

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
This is an interesting one.
How do you improve on what most describe as perfection? No, not my vehicle styling, that's already at the peak... I'm referring to the formidable Volkswagen DSG box. The slick, reliable, fun, lazy drivers answer to a manual, but without the actual effort of moving your left arm, or your left foot, or is it right foot?? One forgets its been so long. Either way, its a great gearbox that Volkswagen perfected years ago. Or at least until you start tinkering outside VW's stock parameters and jamming an amazing Revo map under the hood of my already fast 204, but that's another review altogether (found here actually Revo Review in more detail. ) The Revo seemed to slightly outperform the gearbox in a couple of small ways. Nothing major, a very slight clutch slip in 2nd and 3rd when driving enthusiastically, and the need for more driver input with the paddles, which no respectable automatic owner has the time to do. A quick back and forth to Oli over WhatsApp and he assured me I needed a TVS box mapping. I set to my research and discovered a whole new world of underground chatter about the little known DSG mapping, with all the usual mixed opinions, but I figured what can I loose, other than a tank of fuel and a day off work, so back down to Bognor I shot.

I'm going to give an easy first impression of my drive home from Bognor today.
You know in your head when you want a box to change gear, but annoyingly it doesn't and you subconsciously fettle the throttle to encourage it to change, or taps fully open, you have the luxury of paddles to take the control. Either way, if that's what you are doing without even realising, you may need to think hard about a box map. Think peak power, bang, next gear, peak power bang and so on. Not rev rev rev, scream then bang change gear. That's the hardest part to adapt to. I'm so used to my van screaming through the rev range, passing peak and then changing gear, that the box doing it at the perfect time is not easy to grasp. Also, the correct gear is already selected when you kick down, not the top end of the rev range in the totally incorrect gear, sending valves bouncing out the bonnet. Power at your feet in exactly the right place at exactly the right moment. Now that's some kind of Witch craft that I don't understand, but it was a small fee to get right, unless you get both the engine and box mapped at the same time, and then its not so small, but boy is it worth it.

Perfection perfected.

Thank you @BognorMotors for the usual fun today. Thank you for the blast in the stunning Pure Grey 6.1 and thank you for being such a great bloke.

Excellent review, thanks Paul. I’m glad you are loving the new settings, it really does transform what is already an excellent gearbox - just makes it so much better.

Looking orward to hearing your feedback on it as you gel further with it.

Great to see you as always.

Update on this latest modification.

Its been a couple of days and I've been on some pretty long distances, and I'm surprised to say I'm actually getting better MPG. Not a huge amount, but certainly better. I guess it's down to how the box minimises the revs, and holds everything in the lower end of the rev range.

At first I personally found it hard to adapt to the new way of driving. I'm not adverse to giving my van a shove when I feel like it (mainly when I have an arrogant saloon driver trying to push me out the way) and the fact it doesn't scream through the gears, almost gives the impression that you aren't actually getting anywhere quickly, but that's wrong. It's so much better at thumping through the gears, making it feel far smoother and its only when you look at your speed, you realise you better slow down.

Ok, so not everyone drives hard or does my kind of mileage, but genuinely, the other 90% of normal driving is just more improved, cleaner and far more linear.
I thought my T6 was a fantastic drive before, but the Revo map and TVS map have just made everything much much better.

Hi.. @Tourershine ..Good review...unfortunately I’m still under warranty and I am looking to improve my terrible MPG but that’s really my fault 60+ and still a boy racer ( years of driving around A406 London north circular) . The questions I’m asking are aimed at you and @BognorMotors ....
Does the TVS map do any thing for the 204 regarding quick pull aways and front wheel spin...also when the DSG is in for service would VW notice the remap...also what would happen if VW had any updates for the DSG
Revo mapping...similar questions...If the vans is in for service and the engine has updates (Egr or Dpf or other ) would it cause any issues ...Finally do the remaps change any values regarding MOT emissions
sorry lots of questions...I’m old school and remaps where somewhat a black art ( skill )......many thanks

Hi.. @Tourershine ..Good review...unfortunately I’m still under warranty and I am looking to improve my terrible MPG but that’s really my fault 60+ and still a boy racer ( years of driving around A406 London north circular) . The questions I’m asking are aimed at you and @BognorMotors ....
Does the TVS map do any thing for the 204 regarding quick pull aways and front wheel spin...also when the DSG is in for service would VW notice the remap...also what would happen if VW had any updates for the DSG
Revo mapping...similar questions...If the vans is in for service and the engine has updates (Egr or Dpf or other ) would it cause any issues ...Finally do the remaps change any values regarding MOT emissions
sorry lots of questions...I’m old school and remaps where somewhat a black art ( skill )......many thanks

Hello Sir, a phone call would be the best way to go for this, do you want ot DM me your number and ill run through it all for you

I'm not avoiding answering it just flat out today , and a phone call would be easier:) and can put this all in writing at some point

Last edited:
EGR side topic now moved to a separate discussion.

As Oli @BognorMotors was saying, he was flat out last Friday.... that is because he was giving my 2018 DSG 204 - 4 motion, a TVS remap.

The comments from the guys above are very true, don't doubt that. The TVS remap really does transform your box.

Things I have found for certain since my 2 .5 hour journey home.

1. I don't need to put the DSG in sport mode when slowing down anymore, previously needed to do this to ensure I was in the right gear when coming out of a corner. There is now no need, every time I come out of a corner or off a roundabout, I am naturally in the correct gear in D. The DSG remap matches the road speed with the correct gear - it gets it right every time, it's like witch craft.
2. I noticed whilst over taking, if I used kick down, then it selected the correct gear, giving me plenty of acceleration, instead of the box selecting too low a gear and over revving and then needing to change again.
3. Also no labouring of the engine, DSG's in the Transporters are terrible standard, for labouring in 7th at 41mph. I don't reach 7th now until about 58mph. With the revs higher, that means the van can react much quicker when you accelerate in all gears, instead of waiting for the Turbo to kick in. Some will say you will use more fuel, maybe, but I'd rather have a much better response from the box. You don't buy a T6 to save money...
4. Pulling out from junctions and from standstill is more reactive and you feel more instant drive, instead of the normal, wait a week to get the drive and then whiplash.
5. The gear changes are smoother.

These are just the points that come to mind. If any of the above annoy you with your box then go and see Oli @BognorMotors. He is a top guy with so much knowledge and he is happy to talk any of it through with you. I did the drive to him as I had seen other reviews on this website. My spider sense was good. I truly trust Oli.
I make up my own mind with everything, unless the wife tells me different, lol. This is a no brainer, so glad I did it!

Thanks Marty for the review.

I'm pleased that it has met and exceeded your expectations. It really does transform the gearbox and its operation.

Always trust your spider sense ;-)

Thanks Marty for the review.

I'm pleased that it has met and exceeded your expectations. It really does transform the gearbox and its operation.

Always trust your spider sense ;-)

Oli, does this DSG update invalidate warranty and will it be overwritten next time the van visits the VW dealership?

Hello, anything you do to a vehicle outside of VW parameters will invalidate the warranty, and we tell customers as such.

TVS software upgrade is hard to detect unless specifically looking for it it, unlike an ECU remap.

Also, the term "invalidates the warranty" is widely used on the forum, but the warranty covers many parts and only affected parts could not be covered unless proved as contributing to the failure.
So oversized wheels could invalidate the warranty on the drivetrain components like driveshafts, differential and gearbox. But aftermarket headlights won't.

Yes the warranty on the gearbox and associated parts if found to be directly related :)

Back