EGR Delete

Loz

Admin
VIP Member
As far as the engine goes, I think an EGR delete would be worth it post extended warranty..

Agree, EGR delete would be awesome. Not illegal like a DPF delete is, so I believe. As long as it passes its smoke test, and they do like the engine to be warm for the mot...

Agree, EGR delete would be awesome. Not illegal like a DPF delete is, so I believe. As long as it passes its smoke test, and they do like the engine to be warm for the mot...

Strictly speaking if it takes it outside of its original homologation then it is illegal, that being said you are unlikely to have any issues as it will be hard to see that anything’s been done.

Its worth remembering that the EGR cools the combustion so you could have problems with dealing with excessive heat although this wont be a problem in the UK.

I have personally done it on a couple of big diesel engines as a project and it worked really well but I wouldn’t want to do it on my own van without a lot of research. Unless someone has already done the work and is offering a deletion service that’s tried and tested.....

I've moved this discussion to a new thread.

Its worth remembering that the EGR cools the combustion so you could have problems with dealing with excessive heat although this wont be a problem in the UK.
I would have thought this was the opposite.

The EGR has a cooler to cool exhaust gases before passing them into the inlet manifold. If you don't put them in at all you will have a cooler combustion.
Its the charge cooler that cools the intake air.

I’ve just had my van MOT and was advised that it isn’t possible to carry out a valid smoke test with these engines, I didn’t enquire much further but I believe it’s to do with ECU limiting RPM in neutral. I’m not sure why they don’t do it on the rolling road. Euro 5 engine.

I would have thought this was the opposite.

The EGR has a cooler to cool exhaust gases before passing them into the inlet manifold. If you don't put them in at all you will have a cooler combustion.
Its the charge cooler that cools the intake air.
Loving this! :inlove:

impossible to tell (EGR delete not DPF delete)

I've blanked the EGR on a couple of previous cars and there is a plate that goes in the pipework, which if you were looking for it would be easy to spot. I'm not sure if they would look for this on an MOT though?

If the EGR valve is left maintenance free it will eventually block up and ‘delete’ itself.
It’s a quick and easy job to make a stainless steel shim / plug and sandwich it between flanges.

As far as the engine goes, I think an EGR delete would be worth it post extended warranty..
I’ve watched quite a few YouTube videos about EGR deletes, also heard and read lots about EGR troubles as well as personal experience with an EGR failure in my Mrs’s Golf on the M5 driving through Bristol to Cornwall which wasn’t pleasant on the motorway!
So @Loz, as you’re obviously a very knowledgeable gent, I’d be very interested to know what your opinion is on this, why you would do it and the benefits of it?
Cheers, Matt :thumbsup:

I have also blanked off the ERG on 2 previous vehicles and I simply swapped the metal shim gasket for a solid gasket so there is nothing to see.
However, on the two previous vehicles, they didn't have the sophistication in monitoring to flag up the block in the flow as we have on these.

Personally, I don't do remaps nor modifications that would be detrimental to the engine and certainly not during the warranty period.
But the EGR doesn't really contribute much towards reducing emissions as the DPF and SCR do, so I don't feel bad about deleting it.
What would be needed is a blanking shim to block the flow rather than changing or removing components (much like a vasectomy) but there would be a need to change the ECU software to ignore the flow sensor and avoid the error flagging up.

These EGR failures are unacceptable in my opinion and should have been foreseen as I had a Discovery 2 back in 2001 that had a coaked up egr valve (no cooler matrix to get blocked) and VW should have designed something different.
Maybe someone will design a replacement machined cooler that we can drop in but in the meantime, there are no options.

Last edited:
I have also blanked off the ERG on 2 previous vehicles and I simply swapped the metal shim gasket for a solid gasket so there is nothing to see.
However, on the two previous vehicles, they didn't have the sophistication in monitoring to flag up the block in the flow as we have on these.

Personally, I don't do remaps nor modifications that would be detrimental to the engine and certainly not during the warranty period.
But the EGR doesn't really contribute much towards reducing emissions as the DPF and SCR do, so I don't feel bad about deleting it.
What would be needed is a blanking shim to block the flow rather than changing or removing components (much like a vasectomy) but there would be a need to change the ECU software to ignore the flow sensor and avoid the error flagging up.

These EGR failures are unacceptable in my opinion and should have been foreseen as I had a Discovery 2 back in 2001 that had a coaked up egr valve (no cooler matrix to get blocked) and VW should have designed something different.
Maybe someone will design a replacement machined cooler that we can drop in but in the meantime, there are no options.
I totally agree that these EGR failures are unacceptable.... in my personal experience a safety issue too, so I’m not a fan!
I was driving on the M5 in Bristol as previously mentioned, coming towards the bridge where there are four lanes.... I accelerated from the third to the fourth lane to overtake and had a sudden loss of power and basically into limp mode. How we weren’t rear ended by a HGV or coach or car trying to get back over to the ‘slow’ lane I’ll never know!
There was me and my other half, two dogs in the boot and luggage for a week’s holiday in Cornwall. A scary experience!

Do you notice any difference with it mapped out? Power, MPG, does it run better???

Definitely a lot better the guy who remapped it back in January. Said the van will feel like it's quit smoking and he was right so smooth. I suppose there is an increase in MPG but I don't really keep tabs on it. He said it might regen more frequent but haven't noticed any difference. I still can't believe how fast these vans are.

Back