Boats - small speedboats or whatever they’re called…..

Bugger! There goes the “For Sale” ad I was hoping for!!!
Sometimes it is better to cut out the middle bit and prevent a huge chunk of money going up in smoke at the end - I have had so many ‘hobbies’ over the years like this I really should learn. But on the other hand, where I have gone in head first, if I hadn’t paid the entry fee to try, I’d still be wondering what if.

Although as I am counting down the days to my 50th I must be all grown up now or something - I have recently started to realise if the new/potential hobby involves leaving the house it won’t end up being very successful so it’s better not to even go there :rolleyes:

Now done enough ‘research’, thanks for the input. Like this idea of it but have decided going down this rabbit hole is not for me :thumbsup:
@t6blo if you like the thought of getting on the water consider dingy racing/cruising
look it up first its not little pvc inflatables kids use
I did this after speed boats and probably no where near as much aggro no fuel no engine problems much lighter can be cheap to buy
more social if you join a local sailing club we even sailed/raced on windermere do the RYA sailing course first to see if your going to like it sometimes local clubs are look for crew another way of trying it out/getting into it
plus you don't need a van to launch it

BOAT .... it is an acronym for "Break Out Another Thousand."

In my experience it is also quite accurate .... but they are a completely different camping experience .... got some fantastic memories of my last one.

SETtb-pYRQqlJB9GHmo0Ew.jpeg

... and yes, I am that stupid, and will be getting another - my standard excuses for such things are "you only live once" and "you can't take it with you" ... as well as avoiding spending anything on brand names, expensive clothes, furniture, TVs, all-inclusive holidays, etc. etc. etc....

Did someone call??
Yup, we’ve had RIBs for going on 35years. Currently have a 5.5m RIB & a 3.9m SIB. RIBs are Rigid Inflatable Boats. They have a hard (Rigid) hull, usually made from GRP or Aluminium, and an inflatable collar. Think inshore lifeboat. SIBs are Soft Inflatable Boats, which are usually smaller, have an inflatable floor or wooden/aluminium boards & a similar inflatable collar.
Typical prices for a secondhand decent condition RIB start at £10k up.
SIBs are much cheaper, a decent secondhand outfit can be had for £1k+
Before spending any dosh on boats, I’d echo the sentiments of previous posters. If you have zero experience, then the RYA Start Powerboating & then the PB2 is the way to go. You’ll have fun, learn a lot & probably save your life or stop you from killing someone else, it happens frequently.
Caveat, if you think owning a Transporter is wallet emptying, you ain’t seen nuthin’ till you get into boats.View attachment 210582View attachment 210583
Croatia
View attachment 210584View attachment 210582View attachment 210583View attachment 210584View attachment 210585
Portugal
View attachment 210586

Normandy 4kg Bass caught by the daughter
Towing all the way to Croatia

RYA Power Boat L2.
Speed limit will be 6 knots on the inland rivers monitored by the Harbour Master.
Don't need a licence for PWC but knowledge and appitude for navigation and boat handling would be acquired on the RYA L2.
Would only be able to transit 3 mile from sage haven.
Personal life jackets a must.
Permit for the slip
Deep pockets if you open her up for fuel;)

transit as far as you want with pwc, absolutley no experience or certification needed,
to launch from public slipways and private slipways, 99.9% of these require valid insurances and permits / payment
beach launching is possible in numerous locations if you have the correct vehicle to launch n retrieve

coming from unfortuantley a commercially endorsed unlimited day / night paying passenger certified yachtmaster offshore skipper :) ( ex commercial fisherman / standby / charter boat skipper ) :)
lots or red tape there, but a far better life than sitting behind a bloody keyboard nowadays

A small sib is a good introduction for a pootle about. We got one at the start of the year to try with the family - a 3.9m with 15hp and a small trailer. Very different to the 135hp speedboat I had in my twenties. A rib would be a good choice if your budget allows.

A small sib is a good introduction for a pootle about. We got one at the start of the year to try with the family - a 3.9m with 15hp and a small trailer. Very different to the 135hp speedboat I had in my twenties. A rib would be a good choice if your budget allows.
100% agree. We bought the SIB for our foreign travels. The "Big" boat is great, but it's a PITA when travelling & you want to stop off & explore small towns & villages off the beaten track. Plus I was paranoid about leaving it un-attended in foreign climes. We have the SIB now & it lives in a secure box trailer & I don't even notice it's on the back of the van. It's also cheaper on the ferry.

went from a 16ft wilson flyer at the age of 12 to a final fling with a twin engined lochin 38 with 2 x 400p john deers in her :) licenced n coded for 12pax up to 60nm from any safe haven day or night

stick to a decent blow up and sensible outboard package, and have fun in it

transit as far as you want with pwc, absolutley no experience or certification needed,
to launch from public slipways and private slipways, 99.9% of these require valid insurances and permits / payment
beach launching is possible in numerous locations if you have the correct vehicle to launch n retrieve

coming from unfortuantley a commercially endorsed unlimited day / night paying passenger certified yachtmaster offshore skipper :) ( ex commercial fisherman / standby / charter boat skipper ) :)
lots or red tape there, but a far better life than sitting behind a bloody keyboard nowadays
Just Adv PB commercially endorsed for me...but aware of the PWC lack of restrictions although legislation came in March to bring them inline with the Merchant Shipping Act. I was referring to the RYA PB L2 and dependent on what coded vessel you have retricts your transit.

I have a chum with boats. He never learns. With each one he says he can get the same experience ripping up £20 notes in the shower. He then just buys another boat rather than a better shower.

Hire something wherever/whatever you can, abroad is better and get rid of the itch. If it’s still of interest you can invest in training, gear etc.

I find this is a good cost effective way to deal with most of these kind of desires. Paddle boards, e bikes (just returned 9k worth of bikes after a days hire which cost £100), kayaks, segways ( ;) ) we hired a boat in France last year, a day was enough, job done!

Hire something wherever/whatever you can, abroad is better and get rid of the itch. If it’s still of interest you can invest in training, gear etc.

I find this is a good cost effective way to deal with most of these kind of desires. Paddle boards, e bikes (just returned 9k worth of bikes after a days hire which cost £100), kayaks, segways ( ;) ) we hired a boat in France last year, a day was enough, job done!
Yep, and what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!!!

some itches just need scratching!

Good advice. Boating per se can be quite boring (ever hired a jet ski?). We “boat” for a purpose, either to get somewhere or to catch our supper. We have to have a reason to take the boat out, other than to just go boating for boating’s sake. We enjoy fishing & exploring, the boat is just a tool to allow us to do either.

Good advice. Boating per se can be quite boring (ever hired a jet ski?). We “boat” for a purpose, either to get somewhere or to catch our supper. We have to have a reason to take the boat out, other than to just go boating for boating’s sake. We enjoy fishing & exploring, the boat is just a tool to allow us to do either.
Jet ski has to be up there with one of the best hires! Lots of fun, give it back. My mate had his own but was a pain to launch, maintain and store for the 11 months of the year it wasn’t being used. Killed the clutch on his disco launching it too!

Back