Boats - small speedboats or whatever they’re called…..

t6blo

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Anyone got/had/want a boat?

I live about 10 miles from the coast and have a towbar on my Transporter.

Often see people ‘boating’ when I’m down the seafront.

I know nothing about boats but have always fancied a small powered boat to tool about in - nothing fancy or expensive lol

Where would I even start - can I just buy one and take it to the launch ramp and drive it in the water?
Is there a speed limit? Do I need a licence?

Tell me, show me or encourage me/put me off :whistle:

RYA Power Boat L2.
Speed limit will be 6 knots on the inland rivers monitored by the Harbour Master.
Don't need a licence for PWC but knowledge and appitude for navigation and boat handling would be acquired on the RYA L2.
Would only be able to transit 3 mile from sage haven.
Personal life jackets a must.
Permit for the slip
Deep pockets if you open her up for fuel;)

I’ve had similar thoughts as seen a few accounts on insta where they take their RIB all over Europe. Was shocked at the price tho of some of the boats, £50k+ for something which was quite small.

Going back 25 years used to have a Ring 21 speed boat with a 150hp lump on the back for water skiing
positives: fast and great for water skiing
Negatives: you have to be able to park and pay for both van and trailer in a car park
we used to get through £200 of petrol on a long day out generally £120 on a normal day 25 years ago
some slipways only accessible at high/low tide
boat and engine needs proper clean down and flush out after getting home salt water
launch fees
slipways your not getting back up in a transporter F2WD
security/storage of boat and engine
getting bored after a few trips
only using it in good weather we had dry suits and went in winter as well if sea was flat calm
finding time to go
other than that just say F*** it and get one
if you really want one wait until the summers over and the bored are selling them off and spend the winter tarting it up for next year

RYA Power Boat L2.
Speed limit will be 6 knots on the inland rivers monitored by the Harbour Master.
Don't need a licence for PWC but knowledge and appitude for navigation and boat handling would be acquired on the RYA L2.
Would only be able to transit 3 mile from sage haven.
Personal life jackets a must.
Permit for the slip
Deep pockets if you open her up for fuel;)
Ditto this. The powerboat level 2 will give a good grounding, i would VHF radio licence too

These are what I was brought up with from the age of 5 -

willy's boats.jpg

I despair of people who just buy a boat and put to sea. I have seen boats overturn trying to beach - people who do not understand or respect the sea. When you have this in your heritage and relatives who were members of the lifeboat crew you tend to view most weekenders as poor seamen:

Untitled 8.jpg

lbt3.JPG

Strongly second an RYA course (I have one for the narrowboat and a number of offshore ones - about 4000 miles covered so far) - just because you can take a boat with no training or knowledge doesn't mean you should.

If you are near or regularly visiting an area talk to the local boat club. Likely have plenty of advice and many will offer reduced training for power boats to members willing to take a turn at safety boat cover. You may also get offers of a trip out in exchange for beer vouchers to see if it's for you.

If you just want to be on the water consider inflatable SUP or Kayak.

A bit further up look in the village shop/post office windows of places you visit. Often a lot of local rowing or tender type boats for sale second hand. A small boat with an electric outboard and some oars is a great way to explore estuaries and get to out of the way places. If you do always worth checking with the harbour master about any private beaches or risky currents etc.

If you do venture offshore then get yourself a VHF licence and handheld. Yes a phone will work a decent way offshore but search and rescue will have no way of picking your phone out whereas they can direction find on your radio transmitter. Also much assistance on the water comes from your fellow boaters who will not hear your phone call. It's also why it's a good idea to keep your radio on in case you can offer assistance.

Most of all, have fun, being on the water is ace and I miss it.

I know nothing about boats but have always fancied a small powered boat to tool about in - nothing fancy or expensive lol

Where would I even start - can I just buy one and take it to the launch ramp and drive it in the water?

JOG puts this thread on his watch list!

Get one of these, Zodiac Futra inflatable, we had one for a few years, went like a rocket, stored it in the shed, sold it when we moved to the Lakes as speed limit is 10 knots, bought canoes and paddle boards..EC39A127-9B77-4B5B-BA33-FAF2F7402B12.jpeg, definitely worth doing the Power boat 2 course, we did ours in Southampton on a 300hp Rib, that was a brilliant weekend.

@t6blo - I believe @Salty Spuds has a rib he takes in his trailer, if I remember previous threads of his?
He’s a good man to poke…

Some helpful advice as ever - thanks.

I live near Southend on sea so it is effectively the start of the Thames estuary if that makes any difference to speed limit or other restrictions.

Yes, there is a huuuuuge risk, as with all hobbies I have a go at, of getting bored within a few weeks and selling everything :whistle:

I hadn’t realised how expensive boating could be. Also hadn’t thought about my van trying to drag a boat out of the water.

This is the sort of look from the outside, but the interior is minging and the boat is from 1991 so it’s over 30 years old ffs :confused:

Maybe I’ll have to carry on researching.

What about a jetski ?

I once dreamed of owning my own offshore boat but believe me when I saying buying a nearly new Caravelle was much cheaper.

There is a saying that to simulate offshore boating, get dressed in warm gear, take 500 quid out of the ATM and then stand in a cold shower full blast for 20 minutes and rip up the notes.

My narrowboat I've posted about on other threads 12 of us run together as a syndicate. I own 1/12 and several times a year the other 11 people lend me their bit to go on holiday. It's a great way of spreading costs but doesn't work for the smaller boats you're looking at.

Don't be put off by age in boats but do know what you are looking at and get a marine survey if spending serious money. 10 years in a car is a lifetime, but it's just run in for a well maintained boat.

I live near Southend on sea so it is effectively the start of the Thames estuary if that makes any difference to speed limit or other restrictions.

Yes, there is a huuuuuge risk, as with all hobbies I have a go at, of getting bored within a few weeks and selling everything :whistle:

I hadn’t realised how expensive boating could be. Also hadn’t thought about my van trying to drag a boat out of the water.

This is the sort of look from the outside, but the interior is minging and the boat is from 1991 so it’s over 30 years old ffs :confused:

What about a jetski ?
Depends on what you want to do on the water… if water skiing and pulling water toys for friends and family to hang on for dear life a personal watercraft (sit down) with a tow hook will probs do.. if you want to sit and have a picnic on then they’re not so great, but you can do a beach picnic down the coast in a private bay… we did that last year though in an inflatable kayak and 2 dogs so think what you really want to do and then I’m sure good folks her will provide some suggestions on how to achieve it… RYA PWC or powerboat level 2 worth every penny so you understand collision avoidance and what the different colour buoys mean etc

Last edited:

What about a jetski ?
Very Crockett and Tubbs, looks good to me ( a landlubber).

Mine will be up for sale soon ( getting too old and infirm ) but you will need a big trailer! ( and wallet )

View attachment 210575
That would make a fantastic T6F club booze cruise boat. Could be kept at @Pauly 's gaff, as I think he lives near the sea?
Paint it orange with club stickers (free advertising whilst cruising) & dream LED lights, with a Forum flag.
@Dellmassive & his good lady doing the best impression of Leonardo Decaprao & Kate Winslet at the pointy bit of the boat.

Last edited:
@t6blo - I believe @Salty Spuds has a rib he takes in his trailer, if I remember previous threads of his?
He’s a good man to poke…
Did someone call??
Yup, we’ve had RIBs for going on 35years. Currently have a 5.5m RIB & a 3.9m SIB. RIBs are Rigid Inflatable Boats. They have a hard (Rigid) hull, usually made from GRP or Aluminium, and an inflatable collar. Think inshore lifeboat. SIBs are Soft Inflatable Boats, which are usually smaller, have an inflatable floor or wooden/aluminium boards & a similar inflatable collar.
Typical prices for a secondhand decent condition RIB start at £10k up.
SIBs are much cheaper, a decent secondhand outfit can be had for £1k+
Before spending any dosh on boats, I’d echo the sentiments of previous posters. If you have zero experience, then the RYA Start Powerboating & then the PB2 is the way to go. You’ll have fun, learn a lot & probably save your life or stop you from killing someone else, it happens frequently.
Caveat, if you think owning a Transporter is wallet emptying, you ain’t seen nuthin’ till you get into boats.IMG_3496.jpegIMG_1539.jpeg
Croatia
IMG_4549.jpegIMG_3496.jpegIMG_1539.jpegIMG_4549.jpegIMG_5980.jpeg
Portugal
IMG_7242.jpeg

Normandy 4kg Bass caught by the daughter

Back