I’m just about to fit vanshdes in the tailgate this weekend... chosen because they look good and simple to use. Currently I have curtains in barn doors and keep forgetting to close offside one before setting up for night and it’s not easy to get to it behind furniture...compared to the barn doors there is still better rear view vision

Did you get them fitted?

When I converted my van I wanted Vanshades but couldn’t get them to work with my furniture and window configuration. I ended up with Kiravans curtains all round and love them.

Edit - cut and paste of what I wrote in my build thread that explains the issue -

“I was wanting Vanshades but after talking to Pete the owner I realised it wasnt going to happen. 3 things were going against me - The fact I fitted a slider behind the drivers seat, the fact I have an LED light shelf from Evo Motion and the fact that I dont want to lose the partial window at the rear. To get past the slider a special pod needs to be used which put the pod 30mm out from flush at the top which would mean I couldnt fit my LED shelf. The way people get round this is by fitting a panel and losing the partial window at the rear and bonding the pod to the rear of the panel. Since I didnt want to lose that window this wasnt an option. So it was a choice between Vanshades or my LED shelf. Also Pete couldnt do a special pod for the partial window for me either so if I chose the Vanshades route I still would have a pod on that rear partial window and would have to reach through the wardrobe to open and close, so in the end the best option for me was to go with curtains”

Last edited:
Im happy with my VEEDUB ones tbf @kn0bby ... Easy to fit, and dont really notice them when i look in my rear view mirror.

Still not ordered anything. Still no idea. Furniture is nearly ready and need to sort out what I’m doing with the splash back hole.

HELP!

Vanshades
Best looking for me, out the way. Total black out.
Just a few people in the trade have said they don’t like them.
Surrounds make windows too small.

Curtains
Simples! Fitted right and tight they look smart.
Hear some say total blackout if difficult to achieve.
More of the window viewable.
Perhaps a little outdated.

Swell shades
Like the units without the enclosure. Don’t appear to take up any window area.
Look a little unfinished.
Blackout?

Sucker thermal covers
Might just use these. lol.

We had the same dilemma so made our own window blinds and secure them at night with sewn in magnets. Choose your own material / theme and add black out backing. They fold up / store nicely in a homemade bag.

My current van has blackout curtains and they do work, however the pop top ( austop ) tent material let’s in a fair amount of light, unless the bed board is down

Kiravans black out in mine and it’s plenty dark. My young kids have no problem nodding off when it’s bright outside on the longer nights

hi there , I’m having my van converted shortly and are currently trying to decide wheather to have blinds or curtains , I like the look of the blinds but I am wondering if they are practical or not ? The chap doing my conversion says the blinds are blackout and the curtains are not so I wondered if any of you guys could give me any first hand experience of both to help me decide
Thank you

I have both in my motorhome, but never use the curtains. The blinds are fantastic, but you do often end up sleeping in.

Welcome to the forum.

Blinds are more practical but expensive, curtains are cheap but less useful. Probably the best middle ground is the stick on internal screens, preferably magnetic but the sucker ones are usable.

Hi, Got blinds and had curtains. For me the finish looks much better on blinds but I find mine rattle and do at times make me wish I’d stayed with blinds.

Thankyou , I’ve also noticed that the blinds do not expose all of the window and wondered if this was an issue

Yea you do loose a bit viewing space it doesn’t bother me to much. When I’m parked up they work well and keep out all the light if u look at photos you can see the recess the blind sits in. I went for vanshades blackout. Best bet get a look and play of some.

EDF653D3-D66A-4954-B132-4056F4B5F378.jpeg

C2F1F6C6-73F2-4F20-B002-2F45B7A2080A.jpeg

63CDEAE5-2319-4336-A030-68300A6E412D.jpeg

They really do look fantastic, I think I will be investing , thanks for the info

Hmmm. Not sure I would like those...

We have blinds - and they are excellent - but they hardly obscure any window area. They only use about 30mm at the top of the window when up.

DSC_0012.JPG

Back