Blackvue Dashcam Install

Sorry to highjack the thread. Here’s a picture of my setup which i did recently. My rear camera is mounted at the top of the tailgate rather than on the wiper motor. I had to drill a hole in the tailgate to facilitate this. Cable is routed from the front camera through the roof (near side along with all the other cables), through the flexi boot into the tailgate and then across inside the tailgate to the centre where i drilled the hole. I have a Thinkware Q800Pro. The downside of this is that the rear camera uses a micro USD cable so has a connector pre moulded onto it which makes feeding it through panelwork tricky. If you drill where I did be careful not to go too far as the high level brake light sits right above this point. I managed to break mine but thankfully it glued back together very well and doesn’t leak (not yet anyway). In some ways this was a blessing as I was then able to access the back of the hole I had drilled via the slot where the brake light sits. I’m just waiting for a rubber grommet to arrive to pop in the hole now (ordered the wrong size initially).

View attachment 60930

View attachment 60931

View attachment 60932

View attachment 60933
Nice job ! But ...
“Through the flexy boot ?”
I guess you mean the rubber tube thing where all other cables go ?
I had the nightmare of fitting my reverse camera cable through that hideous tube before and never want to have to do that job again if I can help it .. unless someone has a secret that makes that job easier ????
The BlackVue rear camera has quite a large moulded plug and I’m amazed anyone got that though that damn rubber tubing ... my current solution is just to have a short loop of cable coming from above my headliner to the camera fitted at the top of the tailgate it’s not perfect but my god it saves what seems to me to be a massive undertaking trying to get that plug through that rubber hose and then still having the nightmare of how to get the bloody thing back out of the door to plug into the camera .
Very interested to know other people’s methods of getting cables especially with moulded plugs through that flexy tube ...

Nice job ! But ...
“Through the flexy boot ?”
I guess you mean the rubber tube thing where all other cables go ?
I had the nightmare of fitting my reverse camera cable through that hideous tube before and never want to have to do that job again if I can help it .. unless someone has a secret that makes that job easier ????
The BlackVue rear camera has quite a large moulded plug and I’m amazed anyone got that though that damn rubber tubing ... my current solution is just to have a short loop of cable coming from above my headliner to the camera fitted at the top of the tailgate it’s not perfect but my god it saves what seems to me to be a massive undertaking trying to get that plug through that rubber hose and then still having the nightmare of how to get the bloody thing back out of the door to plug into the camera .
Very interested to know other people’s methods of getting cables especially with moulded plugs through that flexy tube ...
So the way I do it is to use a cable fish, basically something thin and stiff enough to push through. You can improvise with a wire coat hanger or a bit of solid core electrical wiring or a thin garden stick. To get my USB plugged cable through it, I used a bit of old 1mm earth cable. I fed that through the rubber tube, then stripped back about 4” of the insulation and separated the cable strands into two bunches. I sat the USB plug in the middle and then wound the stripped earth cable round the USB cable below the plug. That way the overall diameter was a bit less and the USB was protected by being inside the other cable. Wrapped tape round it, squirted a bit of Teflon grease into the rubber tube and pulled the guide cable back out which pulled the USB cable in with it, presto!

I have yet to do the reversing camera cable. When I do I will remove the pins from the plug at the camera end so the plug can be removed. That way I’ll only need to feed through a relatively thin cable, not a fat lump of a plug. Same method, push a guide cable in first, tape the camera cable onto it, lubricate the flexi rubber gaiter and pull the guide cable through. Once the cable is in place I can the re-insert the pins into the plug. When doing this be careful not to pull the cable through too quickly as it risks burning the insulation on other cables with the friction, the grease helps reduce this risk as well.

Hope this is of some help

Apologies in resurrecting a really old thread, but I've been reading through and it wasn't answered which is the permanent live in the fuse box. Switched live is in the top middle of the box, but permanent live? Any ideas? The below is from the blackvue manual regarding installation (DR590x-2)

1674304669270.png

EDIT: actually that is probably a silly question. If the top middle of the fuse box is switched live then all else should be permanent live.

Last edited:
Apologies in resurrecting a really old thread, but I've been reading through and it wasn't answered which is the permanent live in the fuse box. Switched live is in the top middle of the box, but permanent live? Any ideas? The below is from the blackvue manual regarding installation (DR590x-2)

View attachment 185596

EDIT: actually that is probably a silly question. If the top middle of the fuse box is switched live then all else should be permanent live.
I think I used the cigarette lighter 12v feed behind the dash .

Back