Solar panel orientation - flex panel roof mounted

Stu_C

So I'm scratching my head!
Is there any reason why I wouldn't mount the solar panel as per the image? Flexi panel with the cables forward into the gland housing, standard roof, no pop top

The cables then enter the roof and I would go across the roof panel and down the drivers B pillar, into charge controller under the drivers seat, then across into the leisure battery under passenger seat.

If for whatever reason I altered the layout in terms of additional leisure battery, I could change the cable routing to across the roof and 'right' before dropping down C or D pillar into kitchen cabinets.

If I mount in the way I've seen most mounted, I would have the cables at the rear of the vehicle and through either a gland housing OR the tailgate mounting grommets (I have barn doors) and then run the cable all the way along the roof and down the B pillar - Seems a lengthy cable run

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

D783CEC4-ABDB-4286-BD3A-4D24B41FCCC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't see why not.

A lot of people with camper conversion s have the leisure battery and solar controller at the rear so rear entry is more convenient.

Personally I prefer the panels that have a rear gland cable exit. (Cable come out the back of the panel) That way you don't see the cable at all and in is waterproof.

More info here....

I went for rear panel as recommended by Dellmassive. As long as you are careful and take your time. See below
IMG_1811.jpeg
IMG_1813 2.jpeg
IMG_1816.jpeg
IMG_7545.JPG

I watched loads of videos before going for it. Very happy with result. Total time 2 hours followed by 1 hour next day checking all bonded.

This is super tidy. I looked at Dellmassive posts at saw this method.

My panel has different cables and (original post now edited) I don't have a pop top. Rear mount with a pop top seems logical I'm just second guessing myself on mounting with the cable forward facing

Back