Big Brakes: talk to me

Has anyone else had any problems with the handbrake since they moved to rear Forge Big Brakes?
I've only just bough the van (used) and it came with Forge Big Brakes all around. I parked it up last night on a very small slope at the back of my house. Woke this morning to a call from my neighbour the van had rolled during the night. The hand brake had been on since 4pm and wasn't put on after a really long drive so the brakes weren't hot. It's cracked the bumper and dinted the rear door, thankfully i hadn't parked on a bigger slope on the road.

Anyone else had this?

Has anyone else had any problems with the handbrake since they moved to rear Forge Big Brakes?
I've only just bough the van (used) and it came with Forge Big Brakes all around. I parked it up last night on a very small slope at the back of my house. Woke this morning to a call from my neighbour the van had rolled during the night. The hand brake had been on since 4pm and wasn't put on after a really long drive so the brakes weren't hot. It's cracked the bumper and dinted the rear door, thankfully i hadn't parked on a bigger slope on the road.

Anyone else had this?
Has a swivel been fitted to the drivers seat? As if the handbrake bracket has been dropped to allow the seat to turn, the cable might need a tighten/ adjusting. The big brakes should only be better at holding the van not worse!

Hello
Any ever fitted Leighton Vans brakes 380mm 8 pot and under 2k.
Are they better than the forge ,Revo or Alcon ?
They do some nice wheels as well and with those size discs they would have to be 20”

Hello
Any ever fitted Leighton Vans brakes 380mm 8 pot and under 2k.
Are they better than the forge ,Revo or Alcon ?
They do some nice wheels as well and with those size discs they would have to be 20”
If they sell under 2 k they will not be better than the other kits you mentioned. LV don’t manufacture them so it will be bought out parts

i've been contemplating the porsche 6 pot upgrade.

Does anyone know if the VW touareg 6pots are the same caliper? they certainly look the same

Hi all, over here in Ireland we don’t badge as t28 or t30 so just wondering how you can tell the difference?
I’d like bigger callipers/discs on the front

weight rating will be on the V5/DVLA logbook (not sure what you call it over there ?
its also on a black sticker in the engine bay stuck to the bulkhead behind the airbox

example here

the top of the four numbers is the vehicle weight rating, in this example 3200kg or 3.2 ton so T32

We have a new big brake kit just about to be released. Based on the Brembo 4 pot we already offer for the 340mm discs. It will come with a 362mm two piece disc and it’s Ferodo pads - watch this space
This is interesting, do you know what the minimum wheel size is yet ?

Is there any practical benefit in going bigger than 340mm? In the dry my 340mm discs are way more than adequate and in the wet I can activate the ABS even with newish Goodyear Cargo Vectors. The braking is only as good as the friction between the van and the road.

Is there any practical benefit in going bigger than 340mm? In the dry my 340mm discs are way more than adequate and in the wet I can activate the ABS even with newish Goodyear Cargo Vectors. The braking is only as good as the friction between the van and the road.
You are 100% correct, if your current brakes can make the ABS kick in, then its simply not possible to brake any harder.

Most fit it for styling (even if they think its for performance)

Only benefit bigger brakes have, is the ability to dissipate heat, so you can hit them harder more frequently - Which entirely depends on what you're doing with your van.

I have a set of Audi/Aston 4 pots (as used in the VAGbremtechnic kits the various dealers fit) but no point fitting them, as the OEM 340's are more than good enough for my use.

I’m in a similar situation.
By my tape measure the front brakes on my T6.1 - T30 150 are 300mm diameter (without my glasses on).
I’m lifting the van and putting on 235/65/17 in an attempt to get the plastic under trays further away from anything that might damage them (puddles).
With the extra wheel diameter I’m wondering if I should have better brakes.
A set of 340mm should be a vast improvement?
Also will probably need a re-map to get it going in the first place.
This is being done this week so I’ll report back.

You are 100% correct, if your current brakes can make the ABS kick in, then its simply not possible to brake any harder.

Most fit it for styling (even if they think its for performance)

Only benefit bigger brakes have, is the ability to dissipate heat, so you can hit them harder more frequently - Which entirely depends on what you're doing with your van.

I have a set of Audi/Aston 4 pots (as used in the VAGbremtechnic kits the various dealers fit) but no point fitting them, as the OEM 340's are more than good enough for my use.
Half agree and half disagree here , apart from heat control we run bigger diameter discs to be able to grip the disc harder with out locking it up .
I do understand we are actually talking about Transporters and not track cars but Our track car ran full race brakes and we have to replace wheel bearings almost as often as pads due to the increased forces from a bigger calliper and Disc . The bearings suffer from the heat as well because of the increased forces from the brakes and slick tyres .
So I run 405 mm discs on my T 28 and apart from the obvious look they are unbelievable at stopping the van . ABS rarely kicks in unless the road surface is slippy
The Veemann wheels need race valves to work otherwise the valve hits the calliper

forge brakes  van.jpg

CRS Van brakes.jpg

Back