Best way to secure wooden batten to D-rings

Dubious

Hi all

I’m building a bike rack holder in the back of my swb kombi. I know how I’m going to build it but the only bit I’m unsure of is how to I’m going to secure the wooden batten to the d-ring. It needs to be secure enough to hold the 4x2 wooden batten so that the bikes don’t move and yet I need to be able to remove it when the bikes are not being transported.

Any ideas folks?

I’ll post pictures when I’ve built the main section to help people visualise what I’m doing.

You could maybe cut out a larger hole to go over the mount and then put a bracing bar over the top. Get a couple of M6 turn buckles and take the hooks out and put them through the bracing bars with washers/wing nut/thumb wheel.

Should be able to hook the ring and tighten down?

71374.jpg

Another option I've used in the box trailer is a board with grip underneath and a hole cut, each end then I just thread a load strap across through both over the top of the board and ratchet down - I smoothed the edge of the holes flat and radiused.

That works as it holds stuff behind it away from the roller door, might not work as well if you need to mount stuff on the board.

Advantage is load straps generally useful for other things.
916pGXkZV5L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all!
I was worried about ruining the bolt hole threads with constant removal and reseating. Am I overthinking?

I’m going to presume that an ‘Ugga dugga’ is a battery powered drill/screwdriver
I have one but not the required sized adaptor (yet). What is required to unto the during bolt?

Another option might be J bolts though you may heed to hollow out the back of the timber.

TBH only used mine a few times so no issue stripping the captive nuts. If its a weekly thing then I think you need another solution.

Well it worked.
- Custom fitted so it doesn’t move.
- D-ring holes cut to secure (not 100% sure how as yet)
- first mount bought and tested in various places on the rail. Works a treat.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

IMG_4606.jpeg

IMG_4613.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4617.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4614.jpeg

My mind immediately jumped to marine grade linch pins, the ones where the hoop snaps over the top to close and avoid rattling:

Back