My DIY sliding MTB tray

Hi, Have you found the 18mm hardwood to be suitably strong with no sagging over time? I’m currently working out how to build 1M full extension load tray and considering 18mm structural grade plywood but not sure if the span 1.2M wide is too much without supports. Cheers.
Yeah the hardwood ply has remained really strong, even when I’ve loaded the van up for tip runs with rubble and other rubbish sacks.

The one change in going to make next year is replace the metal brackets for fixed wood lengths which the tray will fixed too as the brackets have too much give when loaded up the locking catches on the sliders undo.

If you are concerned about the ply sagging, a few lengths of wood from side to side underneath might just help strengthen.

It is seriously a great job. I want to build a pull out box, about half the width but just as deep, but I'm not sure how to fix it to the floor. Any thoughts?
You could create a bottom piece like I’ve done which links the lashing points. I did then think about having further pieces of wood from side to side to strengthen. I may still do that.

Or just have a piece of wood which runs the width from each lashing point. Then fix your frame for a pull out box on one side.

The key for me was to make something that can be removed easily

Really good job there.
I’m currently thinking of ways I can keep the rear seats in my lwb shuttle and have a flexible mtb and bed system. I need about another ft of van! Lol

Yeah the hardwood ply has remained really strong, even when I’ve loaded the van up for tip runs with rubble and other rubbish sacks.

The one change in going to make next year is replace the metal brackets for fixed wood lengths which the tray will fixed too as the brackets have too much give when loaded up the locking catches on the sliders undo.

If you are concerned about the ply sagging, a few lengths of wood from side to side underneath might just help strengthen.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I ordered the mounting brackets with the slides (set of 4). They seem really strong (they were £94 though!). I’ll be fitting the slides over Christmas so will let you you know if the locking mechanism holds.

I have considered routing in some 4mm steel bar to the underside of the Ply for strength but I don’t think it’s needed. I’ll go with the ply at first and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Do you have the link for the brackets pls?

Should be fine with just the ply. The wood I fixed on the sides gives it added strength. I’ve loaded mine up with some heavy bits and it’s been fine.

Do you have the link for the brackets pls?

Should be fine with just the ply. The wood I fixed on the sides gives it added strength. I’ve loaded mine up with some heavy bits and it’s been fine.
These are the slides I brought

And this was the bracket set which matches them, you’re slides are longer than mine so you will likely need a longer set:

Back