Sorry I can’t help with that. On my Android tablet I just went in to Settings - Bluetooth and Carista popped up as an available thing to connect to. I tapped on Carista and then paired it with PIN code 0000. Then in settings on VAG DPF i set the connectivity type to Bluetooth and selected Carista.

You need Carista to be plugged in with the ignition switched on before you try to Bluetooth pair.

My Carista dongle is only about 6 months old so it’s pretty new.

Sorry I can’t help with that. On my Android tablet I just went in to Settings - Bluetooth and Carista popped up as an available thing to connect to. I tapped on Carista and then paired it with PIN code 0000. Then in settings on VAG DPF i set the connectivity type to Bluetooth and selected Carista.

You need Carista to be plugged in with the ignition switched on before you try to Bluetooth pair.

My Carista dongle is only about 6 months old so it’s pretty new.
Yeah it was plugged in (and communicating between the dongle and Carista app) but doesn't appear in my list of bluetooth devices, even when connected. Odd. When I initially set Carista up I don't recall even having to go through a pairing process at all like you did. Mine is about 3 months old. Phone reboot first I guess and see what happens.

On my iPhone I don’t recall ever having to pair it but on Android it was the only way to get it to work.

Just sorted out Beta, and it appears I have 14.5g of soot.
More worrying is that it over writes the original app, but doesn't recognise I have already paid for an annual subscription. Nice.

Just sorted out Beta, and it appears I have 14.5g of soot.
More worrying is that it over writes the original app, but doesn't recognise I have already paid for an annual subscription. Nice.
Don't you go to the about and recover purchases?

Sorted in the end. Don't know why my phone wouldn't see the (connected) Carista dongle but after a reboot and some fiddling it appeared in the list of BT devices so I could add it into the VAG DPF app. Couldn't load any data first time around because the app seemingly couldn't detect the engine code on the 'auto' setting any my engine code wasn't listed in the manual groups. Added engine 'Group 15' I think it was manually (even though my engine code wasn't listed in that group) and the data appeared. Proved it worked so paid the £4 for the full version which is a very nice app and a convenient way of tracking what the DPF is up to.

Does anyone know what the soot weight thresholds are?
Passive regen
Dash light and active regen
Forced regen
Oh shit this is gonna cost me

Actually the exact values depend on what engine + what software you have. The last ECU software update changed things on some engines - including mine.

Last edited:
Sorted in the end. Don't know why my phone wouldn't see the (connected) Carista dongle but after a reboot and some fiddling it appeared in the list of BT devices so I could add it into the VAG DPF app. Couldn't load any data first time around because the app seemingly couldn't detect the engine code on the 'auto' setting any my engine code wasn't listed in the manual groups. Added engine 'Group 15' I think it was manually (even though my engine code wasn't listed in that group) and the data appeared. Proved it worked so paid the £4 for the full version which is a very nice app and a convenient way of tracking what the DPF is up to.
Is it possible that you still had Carista app running in the background connected to the the device, a don't think is can connect to two apps at one but could be wrong lol

Here are some screenshots of VAG DPF in action during a regen, btw I pulled over to take each shot :cool:

A small egg timer symbol appears when it wants to do a regen but is not yet hot enough, then the colour changes as the DPF surface temperature rises, then returns back to normal as it finishes and cools back down.

I spent yesterday doing very short journeys so the regen didn’t get finished each time and clocked up 20 miles in the process over about 4 engine starts. Once it gets up to temp it will do the regen quite quickly, under 4 miles is typical for my van.

View attachment 91434
A bit curious here - noticed that Oil Ash Residue is very low for the 67043 miles driven. However, ash accumulation rate is very typical (58mg/mile) - just compared the Oil Ash Residue values from the above and the one in your recent post --> DPF Regen Frequency / Issues / Force discussion.
Have you got a new DPF at 45000 miles?
1605205130712.png

A bit curious here - noticed that Oil Ash Residue is very low for the 67043 miles driven. However, ash accumulation rate is very typical (58mg/mile) - just compared the Oil Ash Residue values from the above and the one in your recent post --> DPF Regen Frequency / Issues / Force discussion.
Have you got a new DPF at 45000 miles?
View attachment 91545

Thanks @mmi

I bought the van earlier this year at 53,000 miles, I don’t know if the DPF had previously been replaced. I know it has a VW service history but haven’t seen the detail of what has been done to it.

What would typical ash residue values be for 67000 miles?

Reactions: mmi
Thanks @mmi

I bought the van earlier this year at 53,000 miles, I don’t know if the DPF had previously been replaced. I know it has a VW service history but haven’t seen the detail of what has been done to it.

What would typical ash residue values be for 67000 miles?
Ok, thanks. I'd expect to see about 35-40 g - so the DPF would be full at approx. 200.000 miles (specified limit 110g). May be the counter has been resetted. Anyways, it's just a counter based on some fancy algorithm which uses fuel consumption, engine startups, regens, etc. as input. So nothing to worry about. Anyways, would be interesting to recheck this some time next year :geek:

Good info, thanks @mmi

Before I got my T6 I had a Ford Galaxy with nightmare DPF issues so when I got a VW and heard about VAG DPF I was naturally interested to see what was going on. I’ve had no DPF issues with this van but I will check the DPF with VAG DPF occasionally to see what is going on.

I am impressed with your attention to detail and logging various statistics. This forum really is brilliant for sharing information.:thumbsup:

Reactions: mmi
Is it possible that you still had Carista app running in the background connected to the the device, a don't think is can connect to two apps at one but could be wrong lol
No, the thing I didn't understand (and still don't) was how I could be using the Carista app connected to the dongle but the dongle wasn't appearing in the list of bluetooth devices. No matter, not loosing sleep over it, seems to be fine now. VAG DPF app, as indicated by others, works perfectly with Carista dongle.

Hi all,

I came across VAG DPF App on Skoda forum, where members are praising this app. Does anyone of you guys and girls use it on your vehicles? Does the app notify you when the regeneration starts and how?

I already have Carista module anyway.

Can this be monitored using the OBD11 app?

If not, aside from the VAG DPF app working with Carista do I really need both apps?
Does anyone have both Carista and OBD11?

Last edited:
I've been looking at mine quite a bit since it was added to the Carista app and the DPF clears itself quite a bit whilst normal running.

I've been looking at mine quite a bit since it was added to the Carista app and the DPF clears itself quite a bit whilst normal running.

You are using this VAG app, or just via Caristas own as there is an option via beta?

Back