Tsixty

T6 Guru
I have Carista (because it does all that I need and is inexpensive). I notice that there are several specific apps for monitoring the status of the DPF and regens etc. What (Android) apps are people using specifically to monitor the DPF?

Vag dpf for Android is good for monitoring , the free version will tell ye basic stuff like distance and time from last regen and how much soot build up there is and will also show you when it's doing a regen ,I don't have the paid version but looks like the paid version will have a bit more info like dfp and egr temps and a calculation of the ash stored in the dpf ,that's the only one I have used. It also works with your Carista aswell

Vag dpf for Android is good for monitoring , the free version will tell ye basic stuff like distance and time from last regen and how much soot build up there is and will also show you when it's doing a regen ,I don't have the paid version but looks like the paid version will have a bit more info like dfp and egr temps and a calculation of the ash stored in the dpf ,that's the only one I have used. It also works with your Carista aswell
Thanks. Exactly the sort of recommendation I was looking for.

Did I dream that Carista were beta'ing something like this in the Carista ap?

As far as am aware you still have to download the vag dpf app but works great with your Carista

Sorry it doesn't work on iPhone which is a shame , would be great if there was a way to add it to Carista app for iPhone users, is there a way to ask the developer for this to happen ?

I might have to snaffle one of SWMBO’s old samsungs. I dont have a temp gauge (startline) so always planned to sort something out.

With this set up can you simply see what is going on or can you influence activities eg do a forced regen if you know you are going on a long run?

Unfortunately you can't do forced regens with vag dpf or Carista ,and if you are looking for coolant temperature then again am afraid it won't show that eather , I have torque pro that I use for live data and it has alot of information like coolant temps but I have honestly never tried it with the van , Al try and give it a go later and let you know but a don't see why it wouldn't show same data and possibley more as the van is alot newer than my 2003 car lol

I got a beta version, and I have been sending Carista some reports regarding few small tweaks, lights, mirrors etc. The other day I had a following email regarding DPF.

We are contacting you regarding our new DPF tool, and more precisely, we would like you to test it out. To do so, you can click on the service button and then on the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration button.
In there, you will have instructions about how to use the DPF regeneration tool, and once you have completed a regeneration, we would like you to give us feedback in response to this email, if possible.

Thank you for your time, and looking forward to hearing from you.

Carista_DPF_regen.jpg

Here are some screenshots of VAG DPF in action during a regen, btw I pulled over to take each shot :cool:

A small egg timer symbol appears when it wants to do a regen but is not yet hot enough, then the colour changes as the DPF surface temperature rises, then returns back to normal as it finishes and cools back down.

I spent yesterday doing very short journeys so the regen didn’t get finished each time and clocked up 20 miles in the process over about 4 engine starts. Once it gets up to temp it will do the regen quite quickly, under 4 miles is typical for my van.

203324AE-A3B4-4650-AEE8-6B03837FE94B.jpeg

5EDA2B57-A2BF-4E2C-AC13-C90D7B72AC59.jpeg

3EE54E50-66E9-4AC4-AAAE-ADE4446FB120.jpeg

CAA05D34-252B-4CFD-9F75-E0245408E788.jpeg

DAB489B7-3E70-404E-ADCC-435ECD449848.jpeg

47E475B5-3D1F-4036-B806-2192629F84F7.jpeg

FCA042A7-8B59-4BC0-9855-8ABBA45A6529.jpeg

I got a beta version, and I have been sending Carista some reports regarding few small tweaks, lights, mirrors etc. The other day I had a following email regarding DPF.

We are contacting you regarding our new DPF tool, and more precisely, we would like you to test it out. To do so, you can click on the service button and then on the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration button.
In there, you will have instructions about how to use the DPF regeneration tool, and once you have completed a regeneration, we would like you to give us feedback in response to this email, if possible.

Thank you for your time, and looking forward to hearing from you.

Carista_DPF_regen.jpg
@EdH That is interesting. I'm not so much concerned with forced regen (yet), but I would certainly like to know what my particulate levels are as i'm an iphone user (not by choice... ;) )
Is it worth me getting on the beta version for this? Have you had any issues with your van after using the beta?
Thanks

@EdH That is interesting. I'm not so much concerned with forced regen (yet), but I would certainly like to know what my particulate levels are as i'm an iphone user (not by choice... ;) )
Is it worth me getting on the beta version for this? Have you had any issues with your van after using the beta?
Thanks

I just did few small tweaks, mirrors fold on a single lock, Skandinavian DRLs and that's about it. Had a look into service menu, DPF and it did give me percentage level of soot it was 29%, and on the way home van did its own regeneration anyway and percentage droped to 8% after. It was interesting to see it to be honest. I am not sure would I initiate this force regeneration on my brand new van just to test the application.

Here are some screenshots of VAG DPF in action during a regen, btw I pulled over to take each shot :cool:

A small egg timer symbol appears when it wants to do a regen but is not yet hot enough, then the colour changes as the DPF surface temperature rises, then returns back to normal as it finishes and cools back down.

I spent yesterday doing very short journeys so the regen didn’t get finished each time and clocked up 20 miles in the process over about 4 engine starts. Once it gets up to temp it will do the regen quite quickly, under 4 miles is typical for my van.

So is this a free app or subscription based, what module do you have/need? It look good, how to obtain one. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 91428

View attachment 91429

View attachment 91430

View attachment 91431

View attachment 91432

View attachment 91433

View attachment 91434

View attachment 91428

View attachment 91429

View attachment 91430

View attachment 91431

View attachment 91432

View attachment 91433

View attachment 91434

Where did you buy the app/module? Is it similar to Carista paid subscription based?

I bought a Carista dongle which I plug in to the van. Then you need to download VAG DPF on an Android device. You pair Carista to the Android phone/tablet using Bluetooth then you can see what is going on with the DPF.

The full version of VAG DPF is £4 from the Google Play Store (the Google version of the Apple App Store). Then you will have access to the screens which I have shown above and you can also log the data if you’re interested in looking in to it in more detail, producing graphs etc. to really work out what is going on.

@Broadside thanks useful - that's exactly what I want to be able to see. I ran into an issue though, my Carista dongle does not appear in my phone's list of bluetooth devices. I'm not sure if Carista have changed the dongle somehow but it seems that I can only use it with the Carista app. Even when using the Carista app and it is clearly communicating with the dongle I don't see the dongle in my phone's list of bluetooth devices. When I try and search for the dongle in VAG DPF app obviously it isn't there so I can't select it. Any ideas? Do you see the Carista dongle in your list of bluetooth devices?

Back