Best Barn-Door Bike Rack?

It is snug. Your best bet is to try and find someone close to you to try it out.
Bear in mind the carrying capacity of the rack too. I decided I didn’t want 2 heavy-ish bikes on there so went with a towbar rack.

Pete

It is snug. Your best bet is to try and find someone close to you to try it out.
Bear in mind the carrying capacity of the rack too. I decided I didn’t want 2 heavy-ish bikes on there so went with a towbar rack.

Pete
Thanks Pete. Hum. I checked the weight limit and it would be close but few Kg inside.
Did you need to tip bike out/backward to fit?

Best to try, it really depends on the bikes. We’ve got 2 road bikes of similar sizes and the handle bars/saddles clash with each other on the rack, but they do fit after a bit of wiggling.

Not sure why Fiamma put the rails so close together!? Maybe to stop bending of the door?

It depends on the bikes to be honest. Certainly facing opposite ways helped, but as above, various bits can clash.

Pete

It basically attaches to the left hand door, and the bikes swing with the door when it opens.They don’t tip.

Pete

Personally, I would not put more than a pair of lightweight road bikes on it, even if 2 mountain bikes made the weight limit.
The arrival of my wife’s e-bike tipped us into getting a tow bar mounted rack, even though we were within the weight limit.
The way it has to fit is a bit of a compromise, and it has to be fitted absolutely perfectly to be secure and not damage the barn doors.

Pete

We have a 3 bike Thule tow bar rack from a previous vehicle so that made our decision for us, detachable tow bar being fitted in a couple of weeks.
The tow bar can take 45kgs and our awning is about 15kgs so still capacity for a couple of bikes if i can get it all lashed on!
Bike rack tilts too so maybe we will be able to open the rear doors while it is on, will see once it's all in place.
Do the doors open ok @hatjoepeg ? Cheers

Nope!! But it really isn’t that hard to take the rack off so it has become part of the routine when setting up to remove that first to grab the stuff from the back.

I would be amazed if it did - it hangs on the top of one of the doors.
I don’t have a spoiler though, so can’t say for sure.

Pete

Hi all! Can you get a 3 bike rack for a barn door T6 ? Not a tow bar one. Thanks!
hia I have a Fiamma I have doubts over it with two bikes on it, changed onto two e bikes so will be going to a towbar unit in the near future. I don’t open the door with the bikes on and we add a ratchet strap round the door and bikes. Would only use it with one bike or low weight units. Not a good recommendatio.

This is mine & is universal so would suit. I’ve got two and cost £100 each on Amazon.

IMT Bike Rack for Car Roof, Vacuum Suction Cup Bicycle Carrier Quick Release Aluminium Alloy Roof Rack, 100mm IMT Bike Rack for Car Roof, Vacuum Suction Cup Bicycle Carrier Quick Release Aluminium Alloy Roof Rack, 100mm: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

I know it looks daunting to just stick it on but I’ve driven with it on and it doesn’t budge an inch, and left the bikes over night and nothing either so I’m satisfied it’ll do the job, and packs away in a small case and can then be used on my other car or anything else for that matter.

View attachment 84539
Hi there

wondering if you’re still happy with this option - we have barn doorT5 (glazed) and I’m looking for a way to store the bikes overnight so we can sleep in the van - was thinking about the rockbros ones from amazon

If my van wasn’t glazed at the back I would have put two ladders on it and used a thru axle fitting - cheers

Hey, sorry been off the forum for a while! Yeah still really happy. For security I just look a bike chain though the tow eye and round the frame with a bike lock and it’s not going anywhere.

Hi there

wondering if you’re still happy with this option - we have barn doorT5 (glazed) and I’m looking for a way to store the bikes overnight so we can sleep in the van - was thinking about the rockbros ones from amazon

If my van wasn’t glazed at the back I would have put two ladders on it and used a thru axle fitting - cheers

Hi,
Has anybody successfully fitted a Thule BackPac 2 973 on T6?
What would be the cons and pros against Fiamma?
Cheers

Back