Bedding - which do you use?

We have a Duvalay which is so so good to sleep on.
We sleep upstairs and the duvalay stays there in the day when camped up.
When in transit TOH has made a trendy big duffle bag which it rolls up into,
and then it stands up behind Drivers seat (LWB) out of way.
Worth every minute of good sleep!
:somersault:

Sounds ideal. Looking forward to getting ours - went for standard delivery which can take a couple of weeks or so, hopefully they’ll come soon. Isn’t it a bit claustrophobic sleeping up in the roof? We’ll have to give it a try - makes sense as the bedding can stay in situ like you say ;)

We went for two of the 5cm memory foam Duvalay's for use on top of the RIB bed.

We are happy with it, its a bonus of not having my wife steal the doona at night.

Still not as good as the Tempur bed at home, but it beats an awful sleep.

congrats on the new camper.

We went for two of the 5cm memory foam Duvalay's for use on top of the RIB bed.

We are happy with it, its a bonus of not having my wife steal the doona at night.

Still not as good as the Tempur bed at home, but it beats an awful sleep.

congrats on the new camper.
Thanks very much Bryn, sounds like you’ve got your sleeping arrangements sorted - important to get a decent nights sleep when you’re out touring. We’ve ordered a 4cm bed set so hopefully that will do us - still waiting, getting impatient but hoping it will be here next week. Happy Camping !

In truth I think you are paying for the name. We just bought some good sleeping bags years ago to use in our van though I admit we tend to sleep in the Kyham when we did camp. If your going to sleep in the van than you need a good topper to sleep on at least 50mm thick . I have a Duvalay mattress in our caravan and it is better to sleep on that the one in our last caravan but it's getting a topper put on this year. None of them beats our Tempur mattress we have at home

I agree you are paying a bit for the name with Duvalay but our Duvalay sleeping bags give us the best night's sleep we have ever had camping (originally under canvas and now in the van). Before we found them we went through a range of different sleeping bags (most still stashed in the attic/garage lol) - singles, doubles, pods, poly cotton, etc., from manufacturers such as Vango and Coleman, spending hundreds of pounds along the way.

Can't comment on Duvalay mattresses but the sleeping bags, i.e. sheets, quilt and mattress topper in a single roll definitely works for us and have been used more than anything we have had previously.

In truth I think you are paying for the name. We just bought some good sleeping bags years ago to use in our van though I admit we tend to sleep in the Kyham when we did camp. If your going to sleep in the van than you need a good topper to sleep on at least 50mm thick . I have a Duvalay mattress in our caravan and it is better to sleep on that the one in our last caravan but it's getting a topper put on this year. None of them beats our Tempur mattress we have at home

I brought one of those Tempur Zero G electric bases for our new Tempur mattress a few years ago, loved it so much that we got another one for the old Tempur mattress last year.

one thing ill never regret spending money on is a Tempur mattress, sleep matters

I brought one of those Tempur Zero G electric bases for our new Tempur mattress a few years ago, loved it so much that we got another one for the old Tempur mattress last year.

one thing ill never regret spending money on is a Tempur mattress, sleep matters
Never realised they made those, better not tell my wife :confused:

Sounds ideal. Looking forward to getting ours - went for standard delivery which can take a couple of weeks or so, hopefully they’ll come soon. Isn’t it a bit claustrophobic sleeping up in the roof? We’ll have to give it a try - makes sense as the bedding can stay in situ like you say ;)

Not at all claustrophobic upstairs.
Bit of a clat getting up in the night for a comfort break!!
However, TOH thinks its great cos I can put kettle on in am and produce a cuppa while she snoozes.

Whichever, topper/mattress you go for the important thing is to sleep well.
Another fine day ahead - God willing!
:D

However, TOH thinks its great cos I can put kettle on in am and produce a cuppa while she snoozes.

I think a lot comes down to the type of roof - the high/scissor style, such as SCA 194, do provide a lot more height and feeling of space than those that slope off right down to the roofline of the van.

Bedding arriving tomorrow so finally sorted a little trip away next week - will report back on how the sleep goes - will definitely give the roof a go - got to be done lol

I just bought one of these, thinking of my bad back I stupidly went for the 10cm version.
Very comfy, but I cant see how anyone can single-handedly deflate one of these enough to fit its carry-sack.... its a real struggle to compress it at all, I'm 80k and I cant possibly squish the 4" foam down to the necessary 1" or less...
Roo was in hysterics watching me, every time your contortions manage to get a satisfying hiss of air out of it, the second you move your grip it sucks it all back in again. There is no way on earth its going back into its bag without an industrial mangle. The only idea I can come up with is making a sandwich between two 1/2" ply sheets and pulling the van over it
And wrestling the damned thing through this every morning???

Their advice is that in between uses it should be stored inflated. I know why now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh heck, at least you had a good laugh. The Duvalay bed sets did what they were supposed to do and gave us a good nights sleep. I didn’t think they’d fit in the duffle bags but after rolling them up and securing the straps, they went in without a hitch - much better the second time around

Oh heck, at least you had a good laugh. The Duvalay bed sets did what they were supposed to do and gave us a good nights sleep. I didn’t think they’d fit in the duffle bags but after rolling them up and securing the straps, they went in without a hitch - much better the second time around
We no longer use the duffle bags in the van - we just secure each with a single strap - makes rolling and unrolling a bit quicker. Not sure if the straps are still the same or not but we found they were at full length with the thicker quilts and pillows which made it hard to tighten - a simple loop of cord in the end of each strap solved the problem.

Hi Debra glad you are pleased with your Duvalay bed set are they a standard size . We are thinking of getting them once conversion is done. Will look on their web site but good to hear from someone who has used them .

Hi Debra glad you are pleased with your Duvalay bed set are they a standard size . We are thinking of getting them once conversion is done. Will look on their web site but good to hear from someone who has used them .
2 x singles fit nicely side by side on our RIB bed and roll up to fit behind the seat back when not in use. We flip one of them inside out so that we can have both openings down the middle which makes it feel like a double.

2 x singles fit nicely side by side on our RIB bed and roll up to fit behind the seat back when not in use. We flip one of them inside out so that we can have both openings down the middle which makes it feel like a double.

Thanks Davenjo thats sounds a good bit of advice . are you pleased with them. They sound well comfy with what i have read .

Thanks Davenjo thats sounds a good bit of advice . are you pleased with them. They sound well comfy with what i have read .
Yep, very pleased with them - had them for nearly 2 years now and spent around 100 nights in them - initially under canvas on camp beds but most on the RIB in our camper. If they ever wear out or go flat we would definitely replace with the same.

Back