Bedding - which do you use?

We bought Duvalays ready of our van earlier this year and, with the van being delayed, decided to use them camping under canvas on top of camp beds all through the summer. Using this setup, we had the best sleeps we have ever had under canvas and so hoping the experience transfers to the van (will let you know next week!).

We bought Duvalays ready of our van earlier this year and, with the van being delayed, decided to use them camping under canvas on top of camp beds all through the summer. Using this setup, we had the best sleeps we have ever had under canvas and so hoping the experience transfers to the van (will let you know next week!).
Our Duvalay Sleeping Bags worked a treat in the van last week - we had them with the 10 tog quits installed but also took the 4.5 togs with us just in case - we could have got away with just the 4.5 togs. Temperature outside was down to about 3 degrees but we were warm and comfy every night (Eberspacher was set to come on at 13 degrees but we were not aware of it kicking in that often). In the mornings we just rolled them up into their bags and stored on the back shelf. Works for us so we will be using them in preference to the range of sleeping bags, mats, etc.. we have previously used camping for the forseealble future.

We did use a mattress topper in the Cally when we had one but tended more to use an air bed and sleeping bags in the motordome.

We have used the same SnugPak 3 / 4 season bags we bought in 1992 and they are as good as the day we bought them (except the bit the dog chewed) anywhere from -10C until they are too warm and we sleep on top. They pack into compression bags and take up very little space and go through the washing machine and dry in no time.

Our seat bed is RIB so we sleep on the back not the squab which makes for a flat bed. A bit firm perhaps for some but suits us fine. The new van is getting a RIB that is being leathered on the seat face but a complementary easy clean hard waring cloth on the bed face.

We have used the same SnugPak 3 / 4 season bags we bought in 1992 and they are as good as the day we bought them (except the bit the dog chewed) anywhere from -10C until they are too warm and we sleep on top. They pack into compression bags and take up very little space and go through the washing machine and dry in no time.

Our seat bed is RIB so we sleep on the back not the squab which makes for a flat bed. A bit firm perhaps for some but suits us fine. The new van is getting a RIB that is being leathered on the seat face but a complementary easy clean hard waring cloth on the bed face.
Our is a RIB bed too - nice and flat but it would be too firm for us without some sort of topper - the memory foam in the Duvalay sleeping bags gives us our total sleep solution in one bundle. Our range of other sleeping bags are now redundant (for now at least!)

Our is a RIB bed too - nice and flat but it would be too firm for us without some sort of topper - the memory foam in the Duvalay sleeping bags gives us our total sleep solution in one bundle. Our range of other sleeping bags are now redundant (for now at least!)
Well at least you wont feel the pea :D

Perhaps we have spent too many years sleeping on camping mats and firm mattresses but we can't sleep on a soft bed. Good really because it is saving us a lot of money and space in the van ;)

I have a new RIB (Uberbus Flux System) waiting for me to collect. I really like their sliding system on Cali rails. We were considering a Reimo Variotech 3000 but the RIB won out.

Well at least you wont feel the pea :D

Perhaps we have spent too many years sleeping on camping mats and firm mattresses but we can't sleep on a soft bed. Good really because it is saving us a lot of money and space in the van ;)

I have a new RIB (Uberbus Flux System) waiting for me to collect. I really like their sliding system on Cali rails. We were considering a Reimo Variotech 3000 but the RIB won out.
You are just rubbing it in now - a sliding bed is something I would look for if doing it all again - as well as a bit more flexibility this would also go someway towards solving my weight distribution problems by allowing us to slide the seat forward when travelling.

You should try sleeping in a California without a topper - torture! We did it for a week in Mull before we admitted we were very uncomfortable.

The bed is also not quite symmetrical so you need a corner cut out for it to fit properly.

image_zpsbxy6gwwx.jpg

I have a Cali bed that has been recovered in leather (not sure if the inner foam was altered), we are having a test night away tomorrow and will try it with just a sleeping bag but I do like the look of the Duvalays.

With my bodged bed I just have a double mattress keeps me nice and toasty but I take a large throw just in case.

Am I just a fat b*****d or does the thought of a bed that small seam really unappealing? Not sure the Mrs would be too comfy sleeping in there with me.

I do love how the Call just works and does it with style.

Yes, haven’t heard a bad thing about this product. I rang and spoke to an advisor who couldn’t have been more helpful. We went for the 4cm, 10.5 tog, grey and white stripe. Guessing the storage will be on the rear seats as they come in a couple of duffle bags. They aren’t cheap but if they give a good nights sleep, then worth every penny.

Yes, haven’t heard a bad thing about this product. I rang and spoke to an advisor who couldn’t have been more helpful. We went for the 4cm, 10.5 tog, grey and white stripe. Guessing the storage will be on the rear seats as they come in a couple of duffle bags. They aren’t cheap but if they give a good nights sleep, then worth every penny.
Ours fit nicely side by side behind our RIB bed during the day and for transport. We have the zip up storage bags but tend not to use them - we just roll them up each morning and slip one of the straps around each.

Back