Battery Under Drivers Seat Or Rear Of Lwb?

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm trying to understand the pros/ cons of fitting the leisure battery and associated paraphernalia under the drivers seat vs a bespoke locker at the rear of my LWB.

Driver seat pros;
  • short cable run from starter battery
  • can be a neat solution
  • put a socket directly on the rear of the seat base
Driver seat cons;
  • DC-DC charger, battery (lithium or AGM TBC), consumer unit etc - it's a lot of kit in a small space
  • weight distribution?
  • I was planning to have the heater venting in this area
Having the battery at the rear possibly means I can add an additional battery at some point, mount the hardware on some ply, making it easier for fault finding.
I worry about the potential for voltage drop with such a long run from the front of the van....?

Has anyone placed their leisure battery outside of the normal driver/ passenger seat location? I want to upgrade the passenger seat at some point in the future, from the double to a single captains swivel so without the base I think that's out too.

Once again, thanks all!
(Still more questions than answers)

Has anyone placed their leisure battery outside of the normal driver/ passenger seat location? I want to upgrade the passenger seat at some point in the future, from the double to a single captains swivel so without the base I think that's out too.

How about an underslung mount?

I’d personally look at putting it in the rear, if you can fit a larger battery.

voltage drop isn’t an issue with a DC-DC charger with the correct sized cable.

access is easier than taking the seat and swivel out if you do have a fault, although if it’s wired up right, the battery should be fine for quite a while.

I’d personally look at putting it in the rear, if you can fit a larger battery.

voltage drop isn’t an issue with a DC-DC charger with the correct sized cable.

access is easier than taking the seat and swivel out if you do have a fault, although if it’s wired up right, the battery should be fine for quite a while.
Thanks Bryn, after thinking this through last night that's what I'm going to do. I can't mount under the van as contemplating Lithium.

Back