BATTERY OR WORSE? [Solved]

Steved55

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all. So I've just bought an ex motorbility t6, 150 dsg shuttle to convert to camper. I've spent the last few days stripping out most of the hand controls and emergency functions fitted, the last one being the hand throttle which involved de soldering cables which had been spliced into the loom at the foot pedal actuator. Before refitting everything I started the van and it started and throttle worked fine - well pleased. However, a few hours later after re fitting all the dash panels, I could not get the van to start - I could hear a relay clicking when key turned but starter not operating. After a few attempts I got an error message on the cd display - 12v system - low voltage. Checked battery voltage at 11.8 v.
I'm now paranoid that I've done something wrong, or is it a coincidence that the battery has given up the ghost/ discharged as a result of me having the doors open and radio on for several hours? Would low voltage stop the starter from operating?
Have put the battery on charge but any help appreciated
Steve

Reactions: MrT
Low voltage can do some really weird and wonderful things on T6s, I would get that better charged overnight and reset fault codes and see what you got in the morning before worrying to much

You'll need to get into the regular charging regime anyway - its a T6 thing ;)
Some will stand being unused for weeks, some go flat in days - many, many threads on here confirm :)

Ok, so battery has had nearly 24hrs and is showing full on my charger, voltage reads 12.2 when off the charger. Connected back up and exactly same probs - I get three beeps when ignition switched on but nothing other than a solenoid click when key turned - no attempt to crank!
I left van in huff to have a cuppa, about half hour later I can hear a faint high pitch whistle outside which I track down to the engine area - everything switched off. So in panic I disconnected the battery earth and the alarm goes off - not good with your head under the bonnet. I had to re connect the battery and unlock to stop alarm - does this have a back up battery.
Any help greatly appreciated

With the battery connected, turn the ignition on and try the headlights. If the battery voltage drops significantly, then the battery is knackered, and you need to sort that before checking anything else.

Pete

Have borrowed another fully charged battery and no change. It's like I've got nothing going to starter. Is there a fuse that covers this? Clutching at straws now

what @Pete C said . .

get your meter out and measure voltage with IGN OFF =

then with IGN ON =

then with all main headlights ON =

+++

post a few pics of the battery . . . ie OEM?, how old? what make?

AGM battery are good for 3-5yrs.

after that they need replacing.

are you getting the starter solenoid clicking?

@Loz has identified a bad main earth from the engine to chassis before . .

got any jump leads? - to create a temp main battery NEG to chassis or engine block?

what van EU6 with battery sensor?

Ok, battery is RAC supplied Varta 70Ah 760cca. No load 12.3v, ign on 12v, main beam 11.7v
Wouldn't the starter still attempt to start if battery u/s?

Dell, can hear solenoid behind dash click but nothing in engine area. Van is eu6 but not sure about battery sensor - what is that?

the IBS is on the NEG post of battery . .

1640191829701.png

+++++++++++

can you get a scsan for fault codes?

++++++++++++

1640192120204.png1640192214424.png1640192342286.png1640192397391.png

Is there a fuse that covers this

I've just had the battery load tested and it's ok
are you getting the starter solenoid clicking?

@Loz has identified a bad main earth from the engine to chassis before . .

got any jump leads? - to create a temp main battery NEG to chassis or engine block?

what van EU6 with battery sensor?
So if you're happy that the battery is not the problem, work through the next easiest thing you can eliminate - @Dellmassive has already identified it - try a jump lead directly from the negative battery terminal to a solid earthing point on the engine / gearbox. If the engine still doesn't start at least you've eliminated another possible fault.

I'm thinking the problem is the 12v switched side of the starter circuit..

From key via bcm to isolate relays.... To starter..

I think there must be a break somewhere.

Assuming the main power and ground is good.

Schematics shown above.

I agree Dell - as I tried to explain in first post, this van has been modified for wheelchair use and adapted for hand brake and throttle. I've been checking on the hand brake mechanism and there is a compression switch there to mirror the foot brake being operated to enable starting - I just can't understand how it was linked to the starter circuit

I have sent them a nice e mail but they weren't very helpful when spoke to them before I bought the van

Back