BATTERY OR WORSE? [Solved]

A couple observations, the key does not need to be held in the start position, momentary turn is enough to start a T6 as it will crank on its own, my vehicle has a one or two second delay if the key is turned straight to the start position when keying on so it’s possible what you are seeing is normal behaviour for a vehicle start blocked by immobiliser
Cranking with a momentary fire before stopping is classic immo block behaviour

Pics attached - vid too large to upload - don't have a scanner but obd reader will not connect!
1 is ign on
2 is crank posn
3 is back to posn 1 - tyre warning flashing and three beeps

IMG_1288.PNG

IMG_1289.PNG

IMG_1290.PNG

The BCM must be alive and have coms with the instrument cluster for it to display the door open symbol.

So now you need to know if the engine ECM is alive.

And the ABS modules.

Can you post a link to your shared vid instead of attaching it fully here?..

Ie share the link from your photo gallery.

What else is working?. Not working.?

Break lights work?
Satnav work?
Front headlights?
Elec windows?
Blower's?
Central locking?

I'm thinking the ECM maybe off?

I would use VCDS to check coms with engine ECM and check logged faults.

Sharing a vid file is beyond my aged capabilities! All other elec systems seem ok - central locking, brake lights, windows and blowers ok.
Why would engine sometimes crank momentarily?

Ok.. like @Pauly said that happens when the immobiliser kicks in.

MIne does that when I forget to put my Ghost immobiliser code in........ But we're assumin your van hasnt got a ghost imob.

I think I get a flashing yellow engine light and a display on the dash screen about imobiliser....

With mine I have to take key out. Lock. Then unlock van with keyfob button..... Then try key in the barrel again.

Have you got the key chip imob loop around key? So van detects the imob chip in the key?

It's normally located around the key barrel behind the plastics.

Yes - key chip loop moved ok - before when loop was in container on dash, if you put key in lock on column, display said key not found. No error message now

Fyi....

Just done it again... Miss keyed the ghost code.

Engine turned over for a second then stopped.....

This is dash display.

Flashing coil light and message about imob.

Are you getting similar?

20220104_093057.jpg

Key out / in then code now back to normal.

I'm not getting as many lights coming on - heater coil light, after attempt, tyre warning light flashing and three beeps

PROBLEM SOLVED!
As advised, I got the beast scanned. Chris of Dav-tec very kindly shoehorned into his busy schedule and quickly diagnosed a can bus power problem. This turned out to be a broken joint where the cruise control(turns out to be an aftermarket add on) was spliced into the can bus. I must have inadvertently disturbed this when removing other wires or possibly with my boot when trying to press the brake with no front seat fitted! Anyway, all codes cleared and I'm one happy bunny. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Can highly recommend Dav-tec

I think Chris took a pic when he was buried under the dash! I can't put into words how relieved I am

Thanks guys. Power train CANbus high wire (orange/black) was broken where it leaves the BCM. I can't for the life of me understand why the converter who did the cruise control cut the CANbus wire instead of removing the insulation and attaching the wires instead.

20220105_140829.jpg

Duno . . . but works a good immobilizer :mexican wave:

i bet the first VCDS scan was 3 miles long with error codes.. ( did you save a copy?)

at the start - did you have coms with the Engine ECU/ECM?

we was thinking a no-com with Engine ECM due to a missing power feed?

@Dellmassive Yes mate. How do I insert a scan not done it before. I'll load it up.

There was alot of red and lots of loss of coms between this and that.

When it came up no coms.with ECM, TCU, ABS, Park/Steer assist etc the list goes on. So took a look at the can bus diagram and found all the modules that couldn't communicate was on the power train channel. So start at the beginning. A quick check at the BCM and... Bingo.

How do I insert a scan not done it before. I'll load it up.
- copy and paste the txt.

or

"attach a file" word or text doc below.

what did you use for the Circuit diagrams / Bus layout??

good to see this old-classic in there too . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 61: Battery Regul. (J840) Labels:. 1K0-907-534.clb
Part No SW: 7E0 907 534 HW: 7E0 937 090
Component: Batt.regelung H81 0742
Serial number: 0971 071160031
Coding: 030B1A73
Shop #: WSC 02739 790 00000
VCID: 6889BCA94276498B0F1-803C

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 7E0 915 181 G HW: 7E0 915 181 G
Component: J367-BDM H08 0223
Serial number: 63110M33281261952436

1 Fault Found:
02256 - Quiescent Current
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 7
Reset counter: 3
Mileage: 0 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2021.11.02
Time: 15:03:11

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum of course! the drawings on here are compiled far better than the erWin ones and far easier to find all the relevant bits for one system. What is the quinscient voltage one seen that a few times on the odd van when i've been doing other jobs and done a pre work scan

Attachments

• -STEVE -T6FORUM - DISABILITY VAN BEING CONVERTED BACK TO STANDARD NO LONGER STARTS AFTER REMOV...txt
    91.9 KB · Views: 13
Back