Battery charger tripping MCB. Any ideas?

tombo1983

Hi,

I’ve just fitted a leisure battery and charger, along with EHU, consumer unit and two 240v sockets to my van.
It’s a small consumer unit with 1x40 amp RCD and 2 MCBs. I’ve hooked the two sockets up to the 16A MCB and cut the plug off the charger (Victron Energy Blue Smart IP65 Charger - 12V 15A) and wired it directly into the 6A MCB. The 240v sockets work fine, but when I throw the 6A breaker on, it trips immediately.

Any ideas why?
The charger claims it will only draw 1.7A at 240v, so I thought 6A would be plenty?
Next step is to remove the charger , put the plug back on and measure the current it draws, but I thought I’d ask here first.

thanks in advance!

An RCDS doesn’t trip because of excess current.
I would do what you describe and put the plug back on and see what happens.

Pete

Yes, I understand how an RCD works, it compares current flowing in live and neutral to detect current leaving a circuit via a fault to ground.

The RCD is not tripping out, only the breaker (MCB) which is why I suspected a high current on powering on the charger. If the RCD was triggered, it would shut off power to both circuits, right?

I will try the charger in the house. But does anyone have one of these chargers, and if so what size breaker do you use?

An mcb only measures current and will only trip when too much current is drawn so unless it’s faulty you are drawing more than 6A through it

There’s probably a small inrush current when the charger fires up ?
If that’s the case then changing the type to a C6 may cure the issue ?

Lots of transformers have high start up current so changing the MCB to a type C of the same value is the next step

Back