Bad Vibration Under Power ??

Anthony Ball

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Over the last 2 short journeys My van has manifested a bad vibration from the front under load , to the point where I now darent drive it !! Any thoughts and how do I go about getting VW assist or main dealer support just so I know where I stand before I start phoning , It's a 150 DSG highline with full camper conversion , 2017 plate and only done 5000 miles ,
Any advice mucho welcomed !!
Ant

Not much to go on there Ant.

More details please...

What does it sound like?
What does it feel like?
Lost power?
Does it go when off power and coasting.?
In drive and reverse?

Etc etc

But in the meantime phone VW Assist and book an appointment.... I think they have to attend within 48hrs at your place.

Feels like a wheel is about to fall off tbh ( I have checked them before you ask ) under load , first time in noticed it was at about 45-50 mph going on/off throttle in traffic , just a sort of reall bad out of balance wheel type vibration , but has quickly deteriorated and now is more or less any speed above about 10 mph ,no loss of power that I can tell but the van shakes quite badly , seems to be coming from front left side , no real noise of any sort, thankfully I was almost home anyway so managed to make it back

Sounds like it is now not driveable, so I would call VW Assist.

Pete

Only 5000 miles on the clock?

Still not much to go on.... so just some random thoughts.

Mud on wheel
Loose wheel.
buckled wheel.
Duff tyre.
Something wrapped around drive shaft.
Engine mount.
DSG clutchpack.
Loose suspension.

Need a bit more detail.

Last edited:
Only 5000 miles on the clock?

Still not much to go on.... so just some random thoughts.

Mud on wheel
Loose wheel.
Duff tyre.
Something wrapped around drive shaft.
Engine mount.
DSG clutchpack.
Loose suspension.

Need a bit more detail.

If the van is shaking really badly, then I suspect the cause could be obvious if you look under the van on the front left and pull/push the transmission/suspension/steering components.

Depends how mechanically minded you are of course.

Pete

Wheels are spotless , tyres new , driveshafts not tangled , I've jacked it up and looked for obvious stuff but nothing jumps out , it does feel driveshaft/ gearbox ish , I'd go for another run out in it but frightened I may cause more problems , VW assist I think is next step

Is the shaking coming through.

The steering wheel.
The peddles.
The body of the van.

?

Doesn't relate to engine revs (different gears) - just driving speed?

I have checked and double checked wheel nuts but that is exactly what it feels like , just got it up on stands and put it in D and let it run , wheels are true , tyres are fine, passenger side driveshaft seems to have play in it but not sure if that's because the suspension is full drooped and not in its normal position when weight is on it , no strange noises of any note , I'm perplexed !!

Strange. . . Looks like a test drive with VW Assist is in order when they arrive..

Driveshafts have been an issue on a few vans I believe there was an isolated problem with some a while back ??
Just get VW assist to get it to a dealer for you and they will soon tell you want the issue is

My 16 plate van had drive shafts replaced under recall. I'm sure at the time the van was only a year old.

I had a similar sounding fault on my T5.1 and that was the gearbox eating itself. I'd get vw assist out. At least then the fault will be recorded.

Check both tyres.
I've had a continental tyre develope a large bulge on the inner side wall.
Caused a vibration similar to what you describe.

Back