Bad Vibration Under Power ??

Rusty Brake discs can cause this if you haven't driven it for a while.
I had this and at first it scared the s..t out of me. I drove it a while standing on the brakes when it was safe to do so and it soon cleared.

I'm struggling to see how any imbalance would only present itself under attempts to accelerate but not on a light throttle at exactly the same rpm.
My thought is that it's either map related (oe or aftermarket) or suspension, potentially a combination of both. Under power with excessive front suspension bush wear the wheels will pull forward which could induce excessive toe out? Similar instability and vibration can occur under braking where worn suspension is forced back backwards and the excessive toe in can make vehicles dive all over the place.
This movement is essentially un damped and at the right resonance could build up into quite a vibration, like that horrible banging that can occur when wheelspinning......unintentionally.

Last edited:
Mine had a bad map that caused judder on acceleration. That was the main culprit.

On top of that both fronts were slightly bad balance now sorted - adding to randomness. Need to get rears checked.

Still have a small vibe at 60/70. More so when cornering. It’s lowered 40mm And the springs are probably cheap ones so maybe just feeling the road surface now with the 20’s.

Plan switching to 17/BFG and getting suspension upgraded so will see where that leads.

thanks for thoughts

Hi People
This thread was invaluable as I had the same judder between 40 & 50 in my 08 T5 and decided to heed the advice.
I went to my local factors and ordered both drive shafts... got in amongst it all and found the offside driveshaft was pretty new so left it and moved on to the near side one which looked like the original.
Removed and replaced and problem solved. Took the unused driveshaft back and got a credit for 5he pls n/s one so the parts only came to £60+ vat.
Many thanks guys.

Reactions: mmi
Back