Auxiliary Coolant Pump Failure

rmo69

T32 204 Kombi LWB
T6 Pro
Engine management light on again,
Back at dealers again,
No courtesy vehicle again,
Missed deliveries and pissed off customers again.

Apparently the 2nd auxiliary coolant pump has failed.

Moral of the story? If you don't want to be a VW R&D guinea pig, wait at least two years before buying a new variant.

If there was anything comparable on the market I'd jump ship tomorrow.

Apparently this has happened to mine they have had it since last Thursday surely it can't take that long to fix

I had this a few months back...got the van back and it came on again the next day after covering about 30 miles, apparently they changed the wrong one! it went back in again and thy sorted it 2nd time around and its been fine ever since.

They did say it was OK to drive with the aux water pump fault, i did question the service rep as to what it actually does however she didn't seem to know. I assumed whilst its throwing a fault its probably still operating just probably below flow rate or efficiency hence it can still be used?

As far as I am aware the auxiliary pump maintains an adequate flow of coolant through the heater matrix at all engine speeds to enable consistent heater output. The cambelt driven water pump is the critical one.

Someone correct me if this isn't the case?..

I must admit, i was keeping a close eye on my temp gauge when the service rep said it was OK to drive. I seem to recall seeing a diagram somewhere with at least 2 aux water pumps, possibly more..who knows what they all do!

The main water pump(21) is driven by the cam belt so would be okay to drive it, the extra pumps are used for circulation of the water to the heater(2), this comes into play if you press the rest button on the climate system and there is another that circulates water through the charge cooler(13) and another for the egr cooler(15). This is the simple one! There are also more if you have the aux engine heater etc.
C4101552-BBEC-4F60-805D-1C02FBC75020.jpeg

How about this:
3. Aux heating pump. 11. Auxiliary heater circulating pump. 17. Charge air cooling pump. 19. Egr cooler pump. 25. Engine driven cooling pump.

89283F87-2EE0-47A3-8E65-344234607D84.jpeg

Last edited:
My van's heater was strange from the day I bought it put it on cold it was fine, turn it 2 little clicks to hot and it was red hot no happy medium! Anyway they have replaced this pump and its sorted my heating problem out! took it back because its engine light came on again, now I've found out the problem wasn't that pump its a faulty EGR so it's going back in on Monday

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine went in December, they replaced it, light back on last week, now they are replacing the other pump and the same one they replaced in december lol top quality VW process right there.

Hi !

Mine broke recently, 49000 miles, 2019 T6 2.0 TSI petrol engine, CJKB engine code.

Made me angry as well.

Cheers

Back