Factory Options for Auxiliary/Parking Heaters on T6.1

Kombi Zombi

When I got my T6 Kombi there were multiple combinations of parking heaters. Coolant-based, Air, both, with/without remote. I specified the most expensive option, everything:

Programmable parking heater (air) with radio remote control, auxiliary heater (coolant-based) and second battery

I did this because I couldn’t understand the descriptions given about each one and thought that by getting everything I would cover all the bases and know for the future which one is for me. On delivery and a good bit of playing around I found that cheaper would have been better (for me. I am looking for the van to become nice and warm pre-startup, interior and engine ready for drive off). As JimmyT6 says, you cannot control the Coolant Heater if you have the Air Heater! The remote fob and console control the Air Heater only.

Last paragraph
Hi @Chris You'll , i'm personally not willing to spend that kind of money on a Telestart kit without some firm evidence it will work. I made inquiries to Webasto on two separate occasions, both times speaking with different people on the technical support line. They assured me the auxiliary water heater fitted on our vans is an OEM version, and that their Telestart kit is most unlikely to work, basically even though it says Webasto on the part it may as well say Volkswagen. I've decided we're stuck with it as VW intended, unless anyone on this forum can provide some pretty solid advice on the procedure they followed. In hind site, the mistake was to order both heaters.

So, I use my simple workaround which works quite a treat...... basically in subzero conditions and all iced up, I start the engine 5 minutes before I drive off, stick the front defrost on, then lock with the spare key. The Webasto auxiliary heater does its thing, and rapidly heats the water coolant. Not ideal but at least it is free. The next best thing would be if someone could invent a solution that did the same as this off a remote.

In hind-site, I recommend to all people considering ordering the extra heater options... just order the auxiliary water coolant heater from the factory - you can then use it off the remote and timer and enjoy warm air from your vents as soon as you jump in and have your windscreen defrosted for you by the warm air. If you need an additional air heater (e.g. for overnight), then fit this as aftermarket, with all the whistles and bells options you require.

I am coming now to get a new T6.1 Kombi and was going to do just that, but I am told by both the pricelist and the dealer that only the above mentioned everything Air Heater is on offer. I would have liked to of had:

Auxiliary heater (coolant-based) with programmable parking function, radio remote control and second battery.

If anyone has any thoughts on this they would be much appreciated. It is hard to know which way to turn, the pricelist also states that Basic CFCU with terminal block is required to be able to have the Air Heater. It seems less is available on the T6.1 compared to the T6, also no option for Passenger Compartment A/C. A shame to pay for a new van and get less than the old one!

Back