Autolec Gloucester

Loz

Admin
VIP Member
Finally got around to putting up a review of my Autowatch Ghost and the installer Autolec.
The Ghost gives me peace of mind knowing that even if my keys a taken, it cannot be started and driven away.
The great thing about this is it is very difficult to defeat and immune to ODB hacks etc.
To start the Cali I enter a code using a selection of buttons on the dash/steering wheel. If this is not done the vehicle will not run. There is also a valet mode that can be set that allows the dealer to run the vehicle and drive it up to 30mph for no more than 15 minutes (no taking it shopping)

Greg Proctor was the installer, a great guy with many years of experience in the trade.
The install was handled very professionally and I had total confidence in him working on my Cali.
Greg came to my home and worked out of his kitted out VW Caddy.
As per the industry regulations, I was not permitted to see where it was fitted so after chatting with him for a little I left him to it. All done and dusted in a couple of hours.
scaled.IMG_1362.jpeg scaled.IMG_1393.jpeg

Last edited:
As per the industry regulations, I was not permitted to see where it was fitted so after chatting with him for a little I left him to it. All done and dusted in a couple of hours.
View attachment 30851 View attachment 30852
Whilst I don't know exactly where mine is installed I did get an "Installation Data Report" which includes "Installation Position" using length, height, width coordinates from a plan - not something to leave in the vehicle but useful to give a starting point if you ever want to move to another vehicle and/or something goes wrong - do they not provide this anymore?

I know where mine is because i helped fit it...

And no I'm not telling....... =)

Nice review.
I was told the valet mode was 30mph for 3 minutes.
I haven't actually tested that part of the valet mode to be sure.

Nice review.
I was told the valet mode was 30mph for 3 minutes.
I haven't actually tested that part of the valet mode to be sure.
I’ve used valet mode twice since we were discussing it a few weeks ago and both times deliberately started without code to drive away. Can’t say at what point the speed/time took it out of valet mode but code was definitely required on next restart.

I believe it is a variable time between 3 and 15minutes above 30mph.
As I understood it, you can run the engine as long as you like but once you exceed 30MPH the countdown starts and this gives adequate time for a local test drive.

I was told that the immobiliser would exit service mode if the van was driven over 30mph at any time. It won't cut the engine, it just reverts back to normal operation. So if it's took out on a test drive and 30mph is exceeded, where ever it's switched off is where it's staying until the code is entered.:laugh:

I was told that the immobiliser would exit service mode if the van was driven over 30mph at any time. It won't cut the engine, it just reverts back to normal operation. So if it's took out on a test drive and 30mph is exceeded, where ever it's switched off is where it's staying until the code is entered.:laugh:
I await the call next time it's serviced,
"Hello Sir, we need to keep your Van overnight whilst we check out a problem we have encountered"
..[Checks tracker to find it in the Sainsburys carpark] :)

Back