Austops Pop Top Install Help! (not installed by Austops BTW who have been brilliant)

phoenixfc7

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Photo 20-03-2020, 15 10 22.jpg Photo 20-03-2020, 15 11 03.jpg Photo 20-03-2020, 15 14 52.jpg Photo 21-03-2020, 13 37 07.jpg Photo 21-03-2020, 13 38 30.jpg Photo 21-03-2020, 13 03 30.jpg Photo 20-03-2020, 15 12 22.jpg Photo 20-03-2020, 15 15 04.jpg Photo 20-03-2020, 15 26 35.jpg Photo 20-03-2020, 15 27 48.jpg Photo 20-03-2020, 18 23 19.jpg Photo 21-03-2020, 13 36 42.jpgPhoto 20-03-2020, 15 09 16.jpg
Hi, I would like some advice on what to do about a recent install of an Austops pop top T6 SWB. At this point I want to make clear that Austops did not the roof so this thread is no reflection on the Austops roof or the company but looking for guidance on the install. Lots of pictures bellow, may main issues are:
  1. The cut edge of the frame do not appear to have been treated with any anti corrosion treatment. What are the implications of this (as I strongly suspect) is the case.
  2. The front corner looks like its too acute of an angle, I’m concerned the canvas may tear over time.
  3. Some bolts securing the hinges look crooked, particularly the one In pic, could this result in a leak?

Any advice on where t go from here to rectify the above (as best I can post install)

Last edited:
To be honest I would hold back and have a chat with them first, be fair and give them a chance to assess, respond, and deal with your issues before you post too much in public and burn any possible bridges

To be honest I would hold back and have a chat with them first, be fair and give them a chance to assess, respond, and deal with your issues before you post too much in public and burn any possible bridges
Hi, just to be clear the install had nothing to do with Austops as manufacturer's. It was fitted by a company other than Austops. I've emailed Austops for their opinion and advice/help as they will know how it should all look. I'm asking the forum for their opinion too.

Holy Moly, I got to picture 3 and thought ok that's plenty, glad it's not mine !

That needs some serious coachbuilder detail to fix

I feel for you buddy , I can see metal shavings in those pics so I suspect they have used a grinder to cut your roof which will cause the shavings to go everywere and possibly even damage your glass like the windscreen, see if you can see eny small marks on windows that won't come off , even the sealer job looks bad , corners look very sharp aswell , possibly rip the canvas , how long was the installation , you have a scenic canvas which is different from mine but structure should be the same

I feel for you buddy , I can see metal shavings in those pics so I suspect they have used a grinder to cut your roof which will cause the shavings to go everywere and possibly even damage your glass like the windscreen, see if you can see eny small marks on windows that won't come off , even the sealer job looks bad , corners look very sharp aswell , possibly rip the canvas , how long was the installation , you have a scenic canvas which is different from mine but structure should be the same
Thanks, I’m totally gutted to be honest. Only had my van for a month. They had it from Monday and finished it Wednesday, I picked it up yesterday. I just don’t know what to do. I need to get it rectified. I’m hoping Austops will be able to. I know it’s going to cost me. Ally

M8 see what austops say but give the company that did the work the chance to rectify , I don't have eny pics of inside mine that are in good detail only have one looking in from the hatch but I did have a very good look inside mine like we all do once I was home after installation and was very tidy to my eyes and good finish , mines was in for 3 weeks but was also trimmed and they also had another roof install in at same time

IMG_20190802_101320.jpg

UPDATE:Max at Austops has got back to me. He is more relaxed about the pictures and has offered to go over the van and rectify what is needed. He particularly pointed to the hinge bolt and front corner (which should be in line with the canvas join). I can’t tell how relieved I am and I am blown away by the customer service offered by Austops

I subsequently contacted the installers and they are calling me tomorrow. Although my query to them was more around whether there was anti corrosion applied and the whereabouts of a missing roof rail mount and bungee. I was reluctant to go down the route of the installers rectifying the work and would rather shell out for peace of mind.

I’ll leave the post here as the pictures and journey may be useful to others.

Finally if you are considering an Austops roof then I can assure you the customer service is second to none and I don’t think I’ve ever received such a high level of customer care. Max said you are our customer as much as company x (installlers). Once we are all allowed back out I’ll make arrangements to go and take him a box of beer

UPDATE:Max at Austops has got back to me. He is more relaxed about the pictures and has offered to go over the van and rectify what is needed. He particularly pointed to the hinge bolt and front corner (which should be in line with the canvas join). I can’t tell how relieved I am and I am blown away by the customer service offered by Austops

I subsequently contacted the installers and they are calling me tomorrow. Although my query to them was more around whether there was anti corrosion applied and the whereabouts of a missing roof rail mount and bungee. I was reluctant to go down the route of the installers rectifying the work and would rather shell out for peace of mind.

I’ll leave the post here as the pictures and journey may be useful to others.

Finally if you are considering an Austops roof then I can assure you the customer service is second to none and I don’t think I’ve ever received such a high level of customer care. Max said you are our customer as much as company x (installlers). Once we are all allowed back out I’ll make arrangements to go and take him a box of beer

OMFG who the hell fitted that!!
That must be the most shoddy workmanship I've seen.

Fair play to Austops for their excellent service. Hopefully they will insist the 'installer' attends another training session, or takes him off the list of 'approved' installers.
Please post pictures after the rectification work is complete as I have been considering this brand of roof.

TIA

Deaks

OMFG who the hell fitted that!!
That must be the most shoddy workmanship I've seen.

Fair play to Austops for their excellent service. Hopefully they will insist the 'installer' attends another training session, or takes him off the list of 'approved' installers.
Please post pictures after the rectification work is complete as I have been considering this brand of roof.

TIA

Deaks
Honestly I cannot fault the roof. It’s robust, excellent quality and the scenic option is great. The workmanship however doesn’t do the top justice. Pick your fitter carefully!!

Roo's was fitted by Austops themselves, superb service, they did quite a bit of carpet finishing for him too for no extra. Highly recommended.

Austop roofs are top notch. Got mine done by James at Custom Campers in Halifax. He is a perfectionist and does a brilliant job. Can't recommend highly enough

I got austop done by bespoke of north Ireland, excellent workmanship and brilliant quality service, I can recommend to anyone, especially if in Ireland north or south.

Back