Camper Pop Top Roof advice

kentishman

Hi all

first post, and hoping for some advice (have checked other threads via search - and this is a slightly different question!)

We have a T6.1 on order with a well known conversion company, and their spec is a 'standard' Streamline/Poptop roof. There's a delay on the build as some items are on back-order, and inevitably that's left even more time to embellish the wish list!

We like the idea of a panoramic/zipdown roof, which Streamline do make - for not too much more - and it to me it would make sense to do at the time of the build. But when i spoke to the converters they told me they don't fit them because they're prone to leaking. Their solution/offer was not to fit the pop top and take the money off the build to enable me to fit one after we've taken delivery.

Part of me think that's just a way of doing something different - but its obviously worth looking into...! So my questions:
- are panoramic/zip down roofs a good feature? are they prone to leaking? (Have read some horror stories on here, but they seem to be linked to bigger horror stories with installers)
- does fitting the roof after the rest of the van's been built a ridiculous thing to even consider? (am slightly concerned about the potential hassle)
- any thoughts on good quality poptops with the panoramic option? Reimo seems to have a lot of fans - anyone else worth looking at?
- what sort of (realistic) cost would we looking at if we did it after the event - for roof, fitting, colour match external paint, carpet and making good roof lining etc (we're based in Sussex and would want to stay within 100 miles - so i'm hoping for sensible guide prices that we can use to make a decision on whether to proceed and/or bear in mind when we're looking around, rather than far flung recommendations :D)

And finally, this is our first venture into camper-dom... would love some thoughts on anything else relevant that we should consider

thanks in advance

john

Hi @kentishman Welcome to the forum.

I love my scenic canvas. There are no issues with it leaking. At the end of the day it's just a zip, sewn in exactly like the ones around the windows so leaking shouldn't be a problem.

Being able to effectively remove the roof off the van when it's really hot in the day prevents any heat build-up in the van during the day, plus it's great to sit up there with a beer and watch the sunset. I'd definitely have one again.

Firstly, welcome to T6F. Like Deaky, we love our scenic canvas roof. My own (and only) experience has been with a Westdubs and that's been great (and didn't leak at all in some near biblical rainfall in North Devon a couple of weeks ago). That said, there are also some very adverse comments about them on here as well (IIRC even from somebody who didn't seem to own one). As to other makes / models, people will often recommend the one that they own themselves but I can almost guarantee that somebody else will come along and bad mouth that very same roof. When we were first looking for a van, I came across a couple of interesting conversions that had not had pop tops fitted (perhaps because they were owned by one of the seven dwarfs) and I asked a local (to me in Gloucestershire) company for their opinion - the response was it was not ideal to retrofit but not overly difficult either.
Sorry if that doesn't help much - good luck with whatever you do in the end.

I’ve got a HiLo Scenic, there’s a big flap that sits over the zip to stop any possible leaks.

I don’t unzip the roof often, but it’s a nice feature to have.

Hi ..firstly not got a pop top so can’t help....but what I have learnt is i hate paying twice.. what you don’t want to do is pay for work only to find that the next company ( should you retro fit ) have to undo bits to fit what you actually want
Any good converter should be able to accommodate your wishes.....but it’s now late in the season for Uk general camping ..so I’d use the time to get exactly what you want and not make do...

Hi @kentishman hello and welcome from another newbie - I'm in the same boat as you in terms of specing out. We bought our van last month and are looking to get the roof popped as the first thing (ours came with the day bed, and the previous owner had sound proofed and lined it) So far I've looked at HiLo, Skyline Aurora, Reimo and SCA. We'll ignore the exterior changes (wheels, suspension, side rails) that are booked in for October.

I've settled on going for the Skyline (you could say it's top middle of the range out there) and booked in my slot with a converter who comes highly recommended on here. Rumours are that Skyline are bringing out a Skyline Low next month - so I'm holding on nailing down the exact spec until Jan. Originally I was sold on the HiLo but the lack of customer service post sale, horror stories and some of the reviews and feedback has put me off. I've also discussed (at length) pros and cons with a couple of converting companies. The Reimo (IMO) is to bulky and not the look I'm going for, the SCA whilst being premo is a little to spendy for me with everything else on my list.

I'll definitely be going for the scenic panoramic option and probably stopping short of the solar panel. As money doesn't grow on trees we'll be doing our conversion in sections - as @VanDamMan said make sure you're not going to undo the work you've had previously.

We have an Austops scenic pop top and have been away in the west of Ireland is some horrendous weather with no issues at all.
Even sleeping with the roof up through storms was no problem. I expected to wake up and see pools of water and soaked carpet but no damp.
The scenic is great, unzip and climb up to enjoy a G&T and watch the sunset

Back