ARB problem

Jason Stancliffe

140 Highline kombi
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi
Recently fitted H and R ARB’s
I must say the handling is much improved, hardly any roll in the corners and the van seems more planted and firmer ride which I like ( have 40 mm h r springs)
The problem I have it is a bit crashy / harsh and noisy now over small bumps on the road , not so noticeable at higher speeds .
I did check under the van that all the bolts were fully tight!
I have been told to check/ lower rear tyre pressures to soften the ride , tyres are 275/40/20, so not the lowest profile tyres anyway
What do you guys think?
Cheers

Last edited:
Need to know what version van, what suspension and how much weight you're normally dragging around before coming up with suggestions.

Here I've got a T28 camper with 18" wheels, B14s and the H&R ARBs but Steve from CRS will be along shortly to rubbish the Bilsteins and suggest an alternative or two so probably worth waiting.

If you're just running stock or lowering springs and stock shock absorbers with the 20s and thicker ARBs then pretty well anything suggested will be better.

I genuinely used to shit myself through corners when I first got the camper with stock suspension, the smell was terrible, with B14s fitted the van was transformed and I no longer closed my eyes going through tight corners. Fitting the ARBs about 3 months later was a slight retrograde step in ride comfort as it took away some of the plushness of the ride but compensated with a proper flat stance through turns, no sudden lurching just a predictable linear sling shot... wheel bearings must be feeling the strain now as you just don't have to lift but carry on hammering through.:thumbsup:

Need to know what version van, what suspension and how much weight you're normally dragging around before coming up with suggestions.

Here I've got a T28 camper with 18" wheels, B14s and the H&R ARBs but Steve from CRS will be along shortly to rubbish the Bilsteins and suggest an alternative or two so probably worth waiting.

If you're just running stock or lowering springs and stock shock absorbers with the 20s and thicker ARBs then pretty well anything suggested will be better.

I genuinely used to shit myself through corners when I first got the camper with stock suspension, the smell was terrible, with B14s fitted the van was transformed and I no longer closed my eyes going through tight corners. Fitting the ARBs about 3 months later was a slight retrograde step in ride comfort as it took away some of the plushness of the ride but compensated with a proper flat stance through turns, no sudden lurching just a predictable linear sling shot... wheel bearings must be feeling the strain now as you just don't have to lift but carry on hammering through.:thumbsup:
Thanks for reply
Van is a t30 kombi day van, empty most of the time , guess it would be more comfortable ride with a half ton load in back!
Ps. Standard shocks , just the h&r springs, 25k miles

Last edited:
Thanks for reply
Van is a t30 kombi day van, empty most of the time , guess it would be more comfortable ride with a half ton load in back!
Ps. Standard shocks , just the h&r springs, 25k miles
Maybe a set of sports shocks will sort the ride out?

Hi guys
I have found problem and fixed it.
It was the anti roll bar link bars what had come loose/ worn what was making the noise.
I first fitted the front arb with the old link bars on its own.
For a week the van was fine,
Then when I fitted the rear bar the noise started, so I thought it was the rear suspension/ arb.
But what had actually happened is the old nuts on the vw link bars had worked loose causing a loose bar and noise, I think because I had to heat the nuts up and wrestled them off I had probably weakened them.
So fitted a fresh pair this morning, and now no probs, also went for the outer holes for a slightly softer ride on the arb.
So I would recommend to anyone to buy a set of new link bars when you fit the h&r arbs

D59F9E0D-890C-48D7-A39F-97FD4DEEC5A0.jpeg

The problem on mine was that the powder coating was being crushed off the ARB and the result was the bolt becoming loose, you may find the same happens with yours, an irritating knock is the telltale sign they need tightening up again once the powder coat has worn away.

Back