Review: CRS - Koni special actives H&R ARBs

I am new to the T6 forum and VW Transporter ownership after I bought a LWB T6.1 camper conversion in September last year when an opportunity that was too good to miss arose.
I just wanted to say thank you to all the T6 Forum members who shared their knowledge and experience so freely. I have found this platform invaluable in helping me find my way and avoiding any expensive mistakes.
When I purchased my van I was hoping the handling would be similar to that of an SUV or MPV Sadly it was not near what I wanted - the light front end, vague steering and excessive body roll front to rear under braking and side to side on corners had me gripping the armrest of my driver's seat on any roundabout.
Reading the posts on the forum about wheels and suspension the name of Steve @CRS Performance kept appearing with nothing but positive reviews so I call Steve to discuss my needs. What a guy! He was so helpful and knowledgeable he lived up to his reputation of giving honest and impartial advice. He explained the reason for my van's poor handling as it was sitting 40mm lower at the rear due to the weight of the conversion and pop top. He advised fitting Koni Active dampers all round, H&R anti-roll bars front and rear, and H&R 40 mm lowering springs on the front only, leaving the standard springs on the rear as it was already 40mm lower.

He had and fitting slot available the following Saturday. I had purchased set of wheels from another T6 Forum member (TSixty) in Nuneaton so set off on Saturday 18th February, I collected the wheels was reassured by TSixty I was in safe hands with Steve, then headed to @CRSPerformance in Cannock. Steve and his son had a whole lot fitted in just under 1 hour. They also fitted side bars and a splitter I purchased from Veedubs transporters for a modest labour fee. The drive back from Cannock to my home in the Northwest on the standard wheels but with Steve having worked his magic on the suspension was an absolute joy! The handling had improved immeasurably body roll was vastly reduced and the suppleness of the the Koni dampers meant I didn't have to spend my time dodging the potholes or cats eyes. The van's handling feels closer to a car now. I fitted new tyres and new wheels at my local tyre fitter and the ride is still just as good on the bigger rims and looks better. I just wanted to let those of you who had the patience to read to the end of this post that if any of you need advice and installation on suspension please speak to Steve @CRS you will not regret it. I have waited a month since Steve worked his magic on my van as I wanted to live with it and get beyond the honeymoon period of buying new stuff. To see if I still feel the same way. All I can say is the honeymoon has not ended, I'm still grinning like an idiot every time I drive a van thanks to the vast improvement in its handling. Thanks to Steve @CRS Performance and thanks to all of those of you who contribute to the T6 Forum giving your time and advice to freely, to a newbie like me.

As I know you all like pics I have attached few.

20230218_100056.jpg

20230218_103409.jpg

20230218_104005.jpg

20230218_104515.jpg

20230218_105017.jpg

IMG-20230218-WA0004.jpeg

20230308_174113.jpg

20230308_174040.jpg

I am new to the T6 forum and VW Transporter ownership after I bought a LWB T6.1 camper conversion in September last year when an opportunity that was too good to miss arose.
I just wanted to say thank you to all the T6 Forum members who shared their knowledge and experience so freely. I have found this platform invaluable in helping me find my way and avoiding any expensive mistakes.
When I purchased my van I was hoping the handling would be similar to that of an SUV or MPV Sadly it was not near what I wanted - the light front end, vague steering and excessive body roll front to rear under braking and side to side on corners had me gripping the armrest of my driver's seat on any roundabout.
Reading the posts on the forum about wheels and suspension the name of Steve @CRS Performance kept appearing with nothing but positive reviews so I call Steve to discuss my needs. What a guy! He was so helpful and knowledgeable he lived up to his reputation of giving honest and impartial advice. He explained the reason for my van's poor handling as it was sitting 40mm lower at the rear due to the weight of the conversion and pop top. He advised fitting Koni Active dampers all round, H&R anti-roll bars front and rear, and H&R 40 mm lowering springs on the front only, leaving the standard springs on the rear as it was already 40mm lower.

He had and fitting slot available the following Saturday. I had purchased set of wheels from another T6 Forum member (TSixty) in Nuneaton so set off on Saturday 18th February, I collected the wheels was reassured by TSixty I was in safe hands with Steve, then headed to @CRSPerformance in Cannock. Steve and his son had a whole lot fitted in just under 1 hour. They also fitted side bars and a splitter I purchased from Veedubs transporters for a modest labour fee. The drive back from Cannock to my home in the Northwest on the standard wheels but with Steve having worked his magic on the suspension was an absolute joy! The handling had improved immeasurably body roll was vastly reduced and the suppleness of the the Koni dampers meant I didn't have to spend my time dodging the potholes or cats eyes. The van's handling feels closer to a car now. I fitted new tyres and new wheels at my local tyre fitter and the ride is still just as good on the bigger rims and looks better. I just wanted to let those of you who had the patience to read to the end of this post that if any of you need advice and installation on suspension please speak to Steve @CRS you will not regret it. I have waited a month since Steve worked his magic on my van as I wanted to live with it and get beyond the honeymoon period of buying new stuff. To see if I still feel the same way. All I can say is the honeymoon has not ended, I'm still grinning like an idiot every time I drive a van thanks to the vast improvement in its handling. Thanks to Steve @CRS Performance and thanks to all of those of you who contribute to the T6 Forum giving your time and advice to freely, to a newbie like me.

As I know you all like pics I have attached few.

View attachment 192899

View attachment 192900

View attachment 192901

View attachment 192902

View attachment 192903

View attachment 192904

View attachment 192906

View attachment 192908We have the same wheels and suspension! I got Steve to put the wheels on when I was there as had them in the back of the van. Stepped up to 20’s form 18’s and the ride on the way home was way better than stock with 18’s. Worth the upgrade defo

Can I ask how long you’ve had your Koni Actives fitted?
Best part of a year.

Got a new van 6.1 Cali & it did not drive like the previous T6s. Able assistant was clutching the seat & door and me & the dog were seasick.

Far, far better after a trip to Cannock.

We drive small rough roads occasionally, really helps with stability. I did upgrade the Arb too but van wasn't lowered, Steve said not to bother in our case.

Steve and his team fitted my konis today, already had the anti roll bars done by them last year, absolutely over the moon with them no more pitching and diving under braking, stable and predictable cornering. Absolutely love the ride and combined with the 255 55 r18s it's like an magic carpet ride. Superb service and highly recommended :thumbsup:

Jumping on this thread as I’m heading to CRS Saturday and haven’t completely decided on Koni or st-x

Doing a similar trip from Essex early morning and looking to get a 60mm drop

Just can’t decide

I went with the H&R coilovers and ARB, what a difference it makes to the handling without impacting the ride at all. Best money I have spent on the van so far

mines a kombi for running family about - I want a more comfortable ride and 60mm drop - I think the Konis are the right answer but you can tie yourself in knots reading all the threads - H&r is just that little bit more money

Koni actives might be at their limit on 60mm springs, CRS also does Koni Short Sports which are specially made for a bigger drop. I had them with Eibach 50/60 Comfort Low springs and there were great .... just not low enough so I ended up getting SoLows later !

Koni actives might be at their limit on 60mm springs, CRS also does Koni Short Sports which are specially made for a bigger drop. I had them with Eibach 50/60 Comfort Low springs and there were great .... just not low enough so I ended up getting SoLows later !
Its called the dark side ha ha

So what’s air ride like in terms of comfort and handling? I guess it depends on the system?

So what’s air ride like in terms of comfort and handling? I guess it depends on the system?
Air ride doesnt guarantee comfort the shock does that . if the air ride has poor shocks the result will be very average

Had a 272 mile round trip to CRS today from Rayleigh Essex ,
What a gentleman Steve is, won’t repeat what has already been said on this site only to confirm it’s all true
I have a T.6 T.28 with -40 H+R springs which I thought was fine until i was a passenger in someone’s van that had replacement shocks , that’s when I realised mine wasn’t right, after much reading on here i came to the conclusion CRS was the one for me,
Steve recommended the Koni special actives, I asked was there anything else he would recommend, he explained the benefits a T28 camper conversion would get from the H+R ARBs, no hard sales stuff just good advice ,so I bit the bullet and went for it and boy oh boy what a difference, completely transformed the way and feel of the drive, feels and behaves more like a car than a van
So anybody thinking of getting their suspension done I highly recommend Steve and his team for a professional job
I couldn’t be happier, yes it was a long drive but well worth it , just get up early get on the road get the work done and enjoy the drive home like I did , again thanks Steve and your gang
Hi mate think that what i need what was the coat all in thanks bit of a drive but ill go there thanks dave

I went Saturday mate - left early and got there at 8 - left before 10 - half a tank and paid the tolls - Steve will give you a price over the phone for the various options - have a look at his van too - has a nice drop

:)Hi all, we have just returned from a 25 day , 11 country, 4200 mile European road trip taking in the grosseglochner pass, the susten pass and the furka pass as well as all of Croatia, parts of Montenegro and everything in-between and I can categorically say they have transformed the vans driving experience. It performed faultlessly and surprised quite a few car drivers around the tight hairpins and 180 degree switchbacks. Even my wife was grinning, it may only be a 110 hp but it handled the curves superbly and the ride was comfortable and compliant over some very challenging surfaces. Thankyou CRS for recommending and fitting these mods and if you are thinking about having them done I highly recommended you do.

Back