Another Mfsw Question..

sparkzer

Sparkzter!
T6 Guru
Im on the lookout for a leather MFSW and I've been reading the many mfsw topics already posted to learn what I need to buy to replace my non MF plasticky thing. Its left a couple of points I'd appreciate clarification on which will certainly help me and perhaps other members in the future.

Some background:
  • I don't have ACC (just basic cruise, currently on the stalk)
  • I fully understand the wiring mod from slipping to bcm and vcds coding
  • I dont really want to buy the wrong wheel then try and obtain extra buttons (I don't have buttons currently, so have nothing to reuse)
  • I'm not fussy if it has a flat or round bottom. (stop sniggering at the back)
  • Ideally want to retain my current airbag (which from what I read should be retained by the 2 hooks) to keep the cost down.
  • It seems that most wheels don't come with the loom if obtained without the airbag...so understand I'll likely need to obtain that also.
  • My T6 is a 67plate manual Euro 6 trendline.
With the above in mind I'm down to 2 questions:
  1. Are there any wheels other than exactly like the one below that will play nicely with my vehicle (For example would one with the ACC and the CNL on the left from a T6 work with the ACC button becoming redundant?)
  2. Can such a wheel be found on anything other than a T6? (from what I read, I think the answer is no, but if I'm missing out of something that will broaden my search, I'll be pleased to hear it)
Thanks in advance and I appreciate your assistance,

Sparkzter

s-l1000.jpg

1. Are there any wheels other than exactly like the one below that will play nicely with my vehicle (For example would one with the ACC and the CNL on the left from a T6 work with the ACC button becoming redundant?)
  2. Can such a wheel be found on anything other than a T6? (from what I read, I think the answer is no, but if I'm missing out of something that will broaden my search, I'll be pleased to hear it)
Thanks in advance and I appreciate your assistance,

Sparkzter

View attachment 57895

You can’t fit an ACC wheel on a non ACC van, none of the buttons will work.

I had this wheel fitted by Professional Retrofits. Like your van @sparkzer, mine is a euro 6 and I have cruise retrofitted on the left stalk. Right stalk was also replaced now as MFD controls are on the wheel, so no need for end and under stalk switches. I also have flappy paddles for DSG on this wheel but I'm sure they can source one without if need be. Switch illumination is red. Flat bottomed. I think its maybe a refurbished Polo wheel, although I'm not 100% on that. I'm using original airbag from the plastic wheel. I've been told that having cruise buttons on the wheel and the stalk, at the same time causes problems.

20200109_105158.jpg

Thanks for t feedback fella..appreciate the 1st hand advice.

@Deaky thanks..i thought that was the case, but hoped it wasn't as there seems to be plenty of wheels about with the ACC button at the moment..and none at a reasonable price without!

@Dieseldonkey that is interesting, as i have seen that design coming up in my searches, but good to get clarification it will work with a euro 6 T6. Ideally id like cruise on the wheel though, my daily driver has cruise on the wheel and i really prefer it there than on the stalk (in fact, i sorta forget i have it in the T6!). I also have the flappy paddles in my Golf...seldom use them tho, but it seemed like a good compromise as i generally had manuals in the past.

I'll be doing the conversion myself, just need to get my hands on a wheel now..ebay seems to be the best place, so will just have to be patient for the right one to show up.

Thanks for t feedback fella..appreciate the 1st hand advice.

@Deaky thanks..i thought that was the case, but hoped it wasn't as there seems to be plenty of wheels about with the ACC button at the moment..and none at a reasonable price without!

@Dieseldonkey that is interesting, as i have seen that design coming up in my searches, but good to get clarification it will work with a euro 6 T6. Ideally id like cruise on the wheel though, my daily driver has cruise on the wheel and i really prefer it there than on the stalk (in fact, i sorta forget i have it in the T6!). I also have the flappy paddles in my Golf...seldom use them tho, but it seemed like a good compromise as i generally had manuals in the past.

I'll be doing the conversion myself, just need to get my hands on a wheel now..ebay seems to be the best place, so will just have to be patient for the right one to show up.

That wheel that @Dieseldonkey is the same as mine, but has the paddles.
Im looking for one that has the round airbag and flappy paddles and not decided if to keep cruise on stalk or go for on the wheel.

Here's another steering wheel varient...assuming not ACC as middle button is CNL but does have mode? Has anyone had success with this wheel?

Screenshot_20200113-103010~2.png

i have a new steering wheel like this one on the way....will need to get the MFSW harness however it ill be using my old non MFSW airbag - can anyone confirm if the harnesses differ between wheel variants (obv, it will need to be from a MFSW)?

Thanks all

s-l1000.jpg

I bought a mint second hand wheel from Germany via eBay with ACC buttons and paddles.
I swapped the ACC buttons for the normal cruise buttons with rewire and coding all good.
Easy to swap the buttons if you don’t get the right wheel, just make sure you get a mint wheel for the right price. The paddles can easily be removed too if not needed.
7E0 979 442 E are the buttons (red illumination) I used for 2019 startline. No need to change BCM, already had CCS support.

39FA6B35-0263-44F6-BAF9-FBE2BBE8A94F.jpeg

C230005B-805B-44D6-8F79-FBE54B75B6A9.jpeg

97BB4B5B-5D08-4EC7-B696-751DC9FC6647.jpeg

I have the wheel and the harness...just waiting for a break in crappy weather to get out to the van to fit it all. As i was in no hurry, I bought the bits when they came up at the right price...outlay so far isnt much over £100 :)

I will report back when its all completed with all the part numbers of exactly what i used to help others in the future.

I used Airbag Loom: 7E0 971 584 C.
Then you need to run some wires from the stalk switch connector:

Power:
via fuse SC32 (easily pick this feed up from pin 4 black wire at headlight switch).

LIN bus:
to pin 36 white 73 pin plug at the BCM

Signal:
To E box under the battery, goes to T10 pin 1 a black multi plug at the bottom of the e box. NB there are two black multi plugs. The difficult one to get to is the one you need.
I removed the engine ecu and released the multi plugs to make it easier to get access.

There are three airbag looms, two for MFSW, one for standard steering wheel. From TPS the loom goes to a revised number so only one MFSW from factory now, but the old one can still be found as old stock or from ebay.

I used Airbag Loom: 7E0 971 584 C.
Then you need to run some wires from the stalk switch connector:

Power:
via fuse SC32 (easily pick this feed up from pin 4 black wire at headlight switch).

LIN bus:
to pin 36 white 73 pin plug at the BCM

Signal:
To E box under the battery, goes to T10 pin 1 a black multi plug at the bottom of the e box. NB there are two black multi plugs. The difficult one to get to is the one you need.
I removed the engine ecu and released the multi plugs to make it easier to get access.

There are three airbag looms, two for MFSW, one for standard steering wheel. From TPS the loom goes to a revised number so only one MFSW from factory now, but the old one can still be found as old stock or from ebay.

Thank you for that, i was finding nearly all the information I needed but just quite enough. Thank you

@sparkzer how did you get on in the end? Dont suppose you have the part number from the loom you used?

Yes all done and installed and working well, my final harness was actually a kit to modify my non multifunctional harness...it worked out the cheapest option and included all the additional wires that are needed in addition to the wheel which you normally have to buy in addition to the wheel harness.

I bought this and would recommend it.

Nice 1, I have the Kufatec wires too but got them as part of a kit for something else and don’t need them anyone doing this mod wants to buy it for their mod.
I also have a brand new PDC hole punch kit for offers b4 it goes on eBay.
Some spare hours to myself today so got the LED lights in, level sensors in, fog lights in, PDC kit fitted, just need to plumb it in to BCM now.
My van already has the black screen wash bottle Pauly so headlight wash may be next step. Cutout section image below.

64927C2A-B403-4822-9D37-D3FA32DB7DF1.jpeg

A34375AC-A290-4206-84A5-DC2A32DD3A3E.jpeg

E42D3309-7F82-436A-BDD8-4C547EB11C0B.jpeg

E6AF32B7-C38C-40E3-8A69-30016E82A95F.jpeg

56B87363-6490-4153-83B7-FADD61028CFC.jpeg

5AE0FFC3-FAEA-4627-BE39-3D8B766BB9BA.jpeg

3F7E7AAA-C406-4F40-83BA-F42D28F9D41A.jpeg

09839A8D-934D-4C59-B0C4-11C316124313.jpeg

BC36AA8E-E5CE-4B9D-8088-BB1C7AF3CC64.jpeg

40B86E4B-3AAE-4C7E-988B-49B331D82C11.jpeg

7F161033-CBCE-450C-953E-899B1302DD09.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes all done and installed and working well, my final harness was actually a kit to modify my non multifunctional harness...it worked out the cheapest option and included all the additional wires that are needed in addition to the wheel which you normally have to buy in addition to the wheel harness.

I bought this and would recommend it.
Hi sorry to Hijack, did this loom upgrade kit come with instructions? do you still have them? I have been looking but can't find the pinning info anywhere.
Thanks

okey dokey, no worries :) , I have e-mailed many of the sellers of these looms but not 1 has come back to me.
Looks like I have a hero in " FLYINGSPANNER " helping me out

Back