Another cracked screen.

I also have a cracked windscreen that happened from a stone chip that I didn't even hear right at the passenger side top of the screen back in September last year, because I pretty sure their is a problem with these hi line heated screens . I also can't be bothered to have it replaced, Hopefully waiting to hear they have reconized there is a problem with them & make a upgrade if it is just because they are heated I would consider a Unheated one , as im not overly keen on seeing the elements in the screen at night oncoming headlights can seem slightly blurred i think , anyone else notice this?
Never really noticed the heated windscreen wires myself whilst driving.....

Never really noticed the heated windscreen wires myself whilst driving.....
Must be just my eyes then I noticed it most when I first got the van , but I have found I got more used to it , Am I right I thinking it's the heated screens people are finding are unusually weak ? My old van I done 100 k & had only one screen change due to chip in driver view but never a crack This one now almost running the width of the screen

Must be just my eyes then I noticed it most when I first got the van , but I have found I got more used to it , Am I right I thinking it's the heated screens people are finding are unusually weak ? My old van I done 100 k & had only one screen change due to chip in driver view but never a crack This one now almost running the width of the screen
Our T5 only suffered a new screen following severe impact damage, I've been in the T6 moth times it chipped, and they where very small stones, early a noise, but a chip the size of your thumb nail.
I'm absolutely sure these screens are weak, but will VW ever accept this? ....mmmmmmmm

I think it would be a good idea to raise this with VW......there are some on here who've had multiple screens. I get the feeling that once the screen has been replaced once, there's a greater likelihood that it'll need replacing again (if that makes sense?). It all just seems a bit odd and they appear to be very vulnerable.

You will be waiting a long time for them to recognise anything! they just laughed when I had the fourth being replaced! saying I was just unlucky... ps driving down to Alicante next week from Plymouth, do you think I take a spare screen with me :(:)

Large stone on the M1 today courtesy of a lorry hitting a big pot hole and a cracked windscreen.
Insured with Co-Op £50 excess and Autoglass fitting next weekend, confirmed with insurer it’s an allowable claim so no impact on ncd
Weird Co-op would not insure my cali

Weird Co-op would not insure my cali
Hmmmm they were cheaper than LV who wanted to up their renewal by £150 from the previous year. Same cover and excess,£300 all in with protected bonus.
Lots of insurers wouldn’t recognise a Caravelle though guess the same thing with the Cali?

Mine has a big crack running from the top of the middle of the screen down behind the internal mirror and another 3 way split dead centre ....... both caused by tiny tiny chips of stone.
Waiting for my conversion to be finished then I’ll get the screen changed, not good at all that VW are not recognising the fact that they have a problem with the screens in the T6 range

Mine has a big crack running from the top of the middle of the screen down behind the internal mirror and another 3 way split dead centre ....... both caused by tiny tiny chips of stone.
Waiting for my conversion to be finished then I’ll get the screen changed, not good at all that VW are not recognising the fact that they have a problem with the screens in the T6 range
Well I've held off having my screen replaced for 9 months hopefully I will hear there is a improvement available, but like others have said I've asked my dealer and they are clueless Now Mine kombi is booked in with Autoglass Thursday morning to have new heated screen fitted & I have asked if it will be a genuine vw part? They said it's exactly the same but without the stamp , but my thinking it can't be any worse can it . May be a chance to be better IF it is a different manufacturer?

Well I've held off having my screen replaced for 9 months hopefully I will hear there is a improvement available, but like others have said I've asked my dealer and they are clueless Now Mine kombi is booked in with Autoglass Thursday morning to have new heated screen fitted & I have asked if it will be a genuine vw part? They said it's exactly the same but without the stamp , but my thinking it can't be any worse can it . May be a chance to be better IF it is a different manufacturer?
I am going to insist mine is a non genuine screen next time! because i know for a fact the VW screens are crap! four, and the fith allready cracked.. got to be worth a try..

I am going to insist mine is a non genuine screen next time! because i know for a fact the VW screens are crap! four, and the fith allready cracked.. got to be worth a try..
Out of interest Did AutoGlass fit any of your screens? I'm wondering if they are all the same manufacturers screens with or without stamp

Out of interest Did AutoGlass fit any of your screens? I'm wondering if they are all the same manufacturers screens with or without stamp
No National windscreens fitted mine, all genuine screens, the first time Autoglass turned up with the wrong screens twice! then turned up to fit in the pissing rain which i refused to let them do it..National have a nice dry workshop down here in Cornwall so can do it in any weather.

Just a thought, I have a wrap on my bonnet and it has clearly taken the brunt of a couple of stones, although bonnet paint remains intact, but is there a possibility that the wrap slowed the stone down so as it didn’t impact the screen too hard?

the annoying thing is you never even see a stone chip before a crack appears? I wouldnt mine if I ever saw a stone smack into it or any chip.. my golf had a few good old chips in the screen but it never cracked! this T6 is different somehow..

Mine had a non vw screen fitted after the first crack. The heating element was intermittent and it was a poor fit! Lots of pillar rattle. The element was much more noticeable visually too. First stone to hit it caused instant crack. I was pleased to get a proper one after that. Thats 2 in 3000 miles, 1 of each. Stopped me tail-gating tractors....

I’m now joining the T6 screen club. Mine has now gone for the second time in 16 months and just 30k on the clock. Stone chip which has now turned to a crack across the entire screen. Last time I had Autoglass and they fitted a genuine screen. I recorded the part numbers and have posted them on a previous page. If anyone wishes to Google them its interesting reading. Will be on to Autoglass again tomorrow!

I’m now joining the T6 screen club. Mine has now gone for the second time in 16 months and just 30k on the clock. Stone chip which has now turned to a crack across the entire screen. Last time I had Autoglass and they fitted a genuine screen. I recorded the part numbers and have posted them on a previous page. If anyone wishes to Google them its interesting reading. Will be on to Autoglass again tomorrow!
Autoglass are fitting my new screen tomorrow, after a two week wait for them to have the screens available again I’m told there screens are not vw but exactly the same as ,think I’ll ask to look at the new one before they start! Weathers not looking good for screen fitting though

Joined the club, van not quite 2 week old, reading this very informative thread and now sh*****g myself even more, wish I’d stuck with Caddy now :D

Back