Another cracked screen.

Why is it or what is the matter with the screens that they seem to always be breaking or cracking.
You don’t see this in other vehicles, I’ve run Range Rovers ,Discoveries SWB Land Rovers for the last 30 years on and off road.
I’ve had chipped screens on a handful of vehicles but no where need as bad as what I read about on here, so my question is why so bad ?

Last edited by a moderator:
My theory is that VW use the screen as a structural component and thus more susceptible to twisting stresses from the monocoque. Range rovers have a chassis so less twisting forces on the body itself.

I had my windscreen changed 3 weeks ago. I just received a nice, new stone chip yesterday.

:unsure:

Funny this thread should continue really because driving down to Portugal in mine I’ve had 1 stone hit which has starred the windscreen and is creeping and 2 other chips.......not a good start seeing as the vehicle is only just over 2 months old, there has to be an inherent built in problem with these screens when you consider the amount that we are seeing here on this forum alone.
Has VW been spoken to about this problem has it been raised with any of their dealers ?..... as it can’t be normal.
I don’t remember the last time I have had a screen go.
I drive a Corvette C6 and a Mercedes e500 most of the time and regularly drive to Germany France & the Netherlands but never have cracked screens, so why is this happenening to VW T6 & others ?...... weak manufacturing or cheaper glass bargain basement dealing by VW or what ?

Steeper rake on the screen, less airflow to push them over the top?

Steeper rake on the screen, less airflow to push them over the top?
But are they different as someone on the T5 just answered my question aren’t they the same bodyshell virtually ?
Can anyone say whether the screen rake is different ?....

But are they different as someone on the T5 just answered my question aren’t they the same bodyshell virtually ?
Can anyone say whether the screen rake is different ?....
I was thinking compared to the cars mentioned...

I was thinking compared to the cars mentioned...

But we are talking about the screens on T6 vans that are breaking regularly so surely there must be an inherent built in fault in the glass or make or quality ,something cannot be correct for the amount we are seeing on this thread alone.
There must be an answer and if not then there needs to be one. I for one will be pretty p———d off if my van has 3 as one of our T6 members has, it’s not on this day and age, unless someone is cutting corners in manufacturing

Glass quality does vary, depends where in the world it is made and by who. I can tell the difference from cutting pilkingtons glass to some types of imported glass from god knows where in the world. "cheap" glass is hard to run when cutting, you have to snap the cut were as pilks. glass runs sweet and clean IMO. Maybe a combination of crap glass (cheap), poor manufacturing and heating elements making them crack at the smallest tap...:unsure:....

Picked up a large stone chip on the motorway early Sunday morning. Cracked immediately started making its way across the screen.
New screen being fitted Friday.
Could be worse - at least I hadn't had chance to fit my new Thinkware F800 to the screen.

Picked my van up the other week. Less than a year old and was told they had just put on a new screen before I picked her up. No heated screen on mine.

Back