Another cracked screen.

Mines chipped at 18000 miles. When it cracks i'm tempted to get it replaced with a non heated one. A Highline can be ordered without the heated screen for £420 plus vat less than list now, anyway. To be honest, i've found its benefits to be pretty marginal, air con clears the inside quicker, and five hundred quid would buy a lot of cans of de icer.

I was thinking about maybe having my replacement screen non heated convinced it must be because it’s heated but reading through this thread I was surprised that it’s not just the heated ones , onlyway I’ve had Autoglass fit my new non genuine heated screen & I must admit looks exactly the same as my old genuine one without the vw stamp . Autoglass fitter done a good but I did have a two week wait for them to get new batch of screens in stock ,So we will see how this one go’s

Any one know the VW code for the heated screen with rain sensor as I have asked AutoGlass to fit genuine VW part as the van is only 7 months old.
Just want to make sure they are not pulling a fast one.
Have had to wait 4 weeks in total for them to pull their finger out and order it,why the long wait for the screen?
Thanks
John

Another cracked screen fitted last Tuesday.
Still no heated aftermarket screens available to Auto windsrceen.

20180601_122337.jpg

Spoke to VW and they have 7 heated in stock, so called back Autoglass with this info.
They just spouted the usual and said they don't buy screens from VW, and use different suppliers.

Have you just gone for a non heated screen, or is yours not heated anyway @Fish?

Mine is heated and genuine.
The operator told me that insurance wouldnt cover OEM as aftermarket was available.. but a genuine turned up and fitter said heated wasnt available yet

Mine is heated and genuine.
The operator told me that insurance wouldnt cover OEM as aftermarket was available.. but a genuine turned up and fitter said heated wasnt available yet

As in heated wasn't available in aftermarket, but none heated is?

I've had a long day @Fish....I don't get what you're saying. Have you had a genuine heated screen fitted or a genuine but unheated screen fitted? If unheated, why would you do that? You threw me with:
Another cracked screen fitted last Tuesday.
I'm tired and my brain hurts!

I've had a long day @Fish....I don't get what you're saying. Have you had a genuine heated screen fitted or a genuine but unheated screen fitted? If unheated, why would you do that? You threw me with:
I'm tired and my brain hurts!

I've had a heated screen fitted. Auto windscreen operator told me on the phone that an after market part was available and the insurance wouldn't cover the additional cost for my request of a genuine VW screen.

Upon fitting day the fitter arrived with a genuine VW heated screen and told me that there isnt a heated after market one for T6 yet. :thumbsup:

Quick update on screens. Anyone that's had Autoglass on back order, they will be back in stock on the 20th of this month according to a call from them today. The lady had no idea if they were genuine or none genuine.

Quick update on screens. Anyone that's had Autoglass on back order, they will be back in stock on the 20th of this month according to a call from them today. The lady had no idea if they were genuine or none genuine.
Their certainly getting though a lot of screens then I had to wait 2 weeks for a new screen when it was fitted exactly 1 month ago Non genuine that is & so far I can’t fault the non genuine screen I certainly wouldn’t have paid the extra to demand a genuine one in fact trying to spot any difference the heating wires in the pattern screen are more uniformed than the genuine one which had few sraggaly looking bit in places

Their certainly getting though a lot of screens then I had to wait 2 weeks for a new screen when it was fitted exactly 1 month ago Non genuine that is & so far I can’t fault the non genuine screen I certainly wouldn’t have paid the extra to demand a genuine one in fact trying to spot any difference the heating wires in the pattern screen are more uniformed than the genuine one which had few sraggaly looking bit in places

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And people think I have OCD

Had my new screen booked in with Autoglass which took 3 weeks before there nearest fitting date was available, then get a call yesterday the supposed day of fitting telling me it was cancelled as the screen is out of stock and they don't know when they will be getting one.:mad: Still took my £75 excess two days ago:mad:, my windscreen now has a crack running from top to bottom. I knew i would own a Transporter split screen one day.;)

Just read through the thread & no one has asked the question:- WRG to body twist & torsion, are the unexplained screen cracks more prevalent in stock vans or conversions with pop tops? Just a thought

Just read through the thread & no one has asked the question:- WRG to body twist & torsion, are the unexplained screen cracks more prevalent in stock vans or conversions with pop tops? Just a thought

Judging by the way my screen went with small stones and the hollow noise it made when it cracked(had plenty of cracked screens and never sounded like the T6)I doubt it.

(no poptop on mine just a popped screen)

Hmmmm……@Salty Spuds...….I've been thinking that too. Also, I get the distinct impression that once a screen has cracked, the replacement screen could be more liable to cracking from what I've read on here. That could be because the non vw screens aren't as good or that the replacement screens are fitted when the vehicle is not on dead level ground. There's at least one company that fits them in situ.....I'd rather take mine somewhere so it can be fitted on a dead level floor and in controlled conditions.....but then I'm OCD! There just seem to be a lot of people on here who've had multiple replacements????

Back