Another cracked screen.

My theory is that VW use the screen as a structural component and thus more susceptible to twisting stresses from the monocoque. Range rovers have a chassis so less twisting forces on the body itself.
I think this is correct. All my emergency services rtc training indicated that the windscreen and rear window were structural (and bonded) on modern cars.....but there are far more informed members on here, so I'm happy to be corrected. With this in mind, when I was doing my oil change, I was very careful to jack each side gradually so as not to introduce any torsional forces.....probably over the top but old habits die hard. The number of cracked screens is alarming though. Has anyone had any problems with their insurer placing limits on the size or frequency of the claim?:thumbsup:

This may tempting providence...

I've had three T5s and covered over 170,000 miles in them with only one screen change and that was an obvious stone damage. The T6 with heated screen has now done about 14,000 miles and has had a very small chip for some months now which has not gone any further. I always park with one side on the kerb, don't bother too much about uneven roads (as if you can in the UK anyway), it's been jacked up at all angles whilst I did the conversion and has a big hole in the roof where the high top is fitted albeit with a strengthening frame.
To those who have had screens changed - Have you checked that there is the correct gap between the body and the glass all around? If the glass is touching the body anywhere I guess that would put extra stress on it.
When I had the screen changed on the T5 it was badly fitted but the vehicle was sold at that point and I didn't have chance to chase up the fitters to get it altered. The new owner knew all about this and had the agreement that I made with the glass company to get it altered but I don't know if he ever did.

I've had a screen in the Beetle last autumn, that one was a toughened one, smashed by a stone with the usual 'bang'. There is a borrowed one installed now and I still haven't got a laminated replacement because it's not the same size as post 1949 Beetles. @StudleyGlass can you supply? I have a plywood template, the glass is 5mm thick.

Car windscreen laminated is 4.4mm as far as i know, safety laminated (In Stock) is 6.4mm is for domestic doors and windows. If it is a flat glass, as it looks like? @rod_vw you should be able to get cut size from a local glass firm to you, but i can do you one no problem if your stuck. I dont keep it as stock , because it is very rare i use it. Drop me a line if you need any help :thumbsup:

Glass quality does vary, depends where in the world it is made and by who. I can tell the difference from cutting pilkingtons glass to some types of imported glass from god knows where in the world. "cheap" glass is hard to run when cutting, you have to snap the cut were as pilks. glass runs sweet and clean IMO. Maybe a combination of crap glass (cheap), poor manufacturing and heating elements making them crack at the smallest tap...:unsure:....

Thanks very much for posting on this thread, you are probably the only glass man on here with the knowledge of what is good and not so good.
Is there any way that we as mere mortals can have our broken screens checked out as regards the screens being fit for purpose and good quality that would for instance compare like for like with say a Range Rover screen quality wise.
Because if VW are pulling another fast one on us and our Insurance Companies then it needs sorting out ?
Look forward to you comments.
Thankyou

I have two chunks missing out the passenger side for some months (both separate incidents), and both would justify a replacement windscreen; but I really can't be bothered at this moment as I know it will happen again, judging by my and other forum members experience.:thumbsdown:
These windscreens really aren't good enough

Look on the T5/6 forum on facebook, you will see I started to ask some questions on windscreen damage, andctheirs is just as bad.
We had a T5 for 12 years and put 180,000 miles on it. Just 1 windscreen (a pigeon at 90 mph), no not the pigeon the van I mean ;)
I know my 1 experience is statistically irrelevant; but I don't recall any T5 conversations about a new windscreen every 6 months?????

Last edited:
Thanks very much for posting on this thread, you are probably the only glass man on here with the knowledge of what is good and not so good.
Is there any way that we as mere mortals can have our broken screens checked out as regards the screens being fit for purpose and good quality that would for instance compare like for like with say a Range Rover screen quality wise.
Because if VW are pulling another fast one on us and our Insurance Companies then it needs sorting out ?
Look forward to you comments.
Thankyou

In regards the quality of there glass used in manufacturer of the screens i cant comment as i just dont have the knowledge in the glass manufacture itself as i just use glass. I imagine we would keep getting the same answer from vw as happens with most problems. "there is no problem"
As has been said before it may be a few of factors leading to more broken screens...... Glass quality/bad design/poor fitment....who knows ?
Sorry i cant be more help

I do notice a lot of squeaking noise from my cargo area with the wood lining when I drive out my yard onto the road. Like the van is twisting when I turn. I wonder if such stresses goes to the windscreen too?

I had a chip, made the mistake of not getting it sorted and now it’s a crack.
Been waiting over a week for a screen. Something about none available. (Going through insurance using Autoglass)
. Sounds like they are in demand!

I helped the bloke fit the screen on the last one as he came to the house, didn't ask him if he did many of these, he did say he couldn't understand why people pay so much money for these as they are basically still the same van from 25 years ago!

In regards the quality of there glass used in manufacturer of the screens i cant comment as i just dont have the knowledge in the glass manufacture itself as i just use glass. I imagine we would keep getting the same answer from vw as happens with most problems. "there is no problem"
As has been said before it may be a few of factors leading to more broken screens...... Glass quality/bad design/poor fitment....who knows ?
Sorry i cant be more help

Are there different qualities of glass used in motor manufactureres screens ?.......... and if so how can we find out what is being used in T5/6 screens ?

Large stone on the M1 today courtesy of a lorry hitting a big pot hole and a cracked windscreen.
Insured with Co-Op £50 excess and Autoglass fitting next weekend, confirmed with insurer it’s an allowable claim so no impact on ncd

I too have today aquired another crack so will be now going for a second screen in 15 months. Last one was 9 months ago. I had Autoglass do it and they used genuine VW screen. Had to pay £70 towards it. I posted details and part nos. for the screen on here previously. These screens are available to buy from Europe quite reasonable prices so it may be worth us all looking to aquire a few! If anyone wants the VW part nos. let me know.

I have two chunks missing out the passenger side for some months (both separate incidents), and both would justify a replacement windscreen; but I really can't be bothered at this moment as I know it will happen again, judging by my and other forum members experience.:thumbsdown:
These windscreens really aren't good enough
I also have a cracked windscreen that happened from a stone chip that I didn't even hear right at the passenger side top of the screen back in September last year, because I pretty sure their is a problem with these hi line heated screens . I also can't be bothered to have it replaced, Hopefully waiting to hear they have reconized there is a problem with them & make a upgrade if it is just because they are heated I would consider a Unheated one , as im not overly keen on seeing the elements in the screen at night oncoming headlights can seem slightly blurred i think , anyone else notice this?

Back