Annoying dashboard rattle

Thank god for this post, saved my sanity. I had an annoying rattle in dashboard and couldn't find it!
Passenger side Pillar at the bottom where it meets the dash and windscreen was loose, folded a business card and wedge it down.

Rattle gone!

Thank god for this post, saved my sanity. I had an annoying rattle in dashboard and couldn't find it!
Passenger side Pillar at the bottom where it meets the dash and windscreen was loose, folded a business card and wedge it down.

Rattle gone!
Yep had the exact same issue … since then additionally I’ve managed to fish out 5 pens that had rolled down the front of the dash from previous owner .. and two guitar picks from my own accident ! when I found 4 pens I was convinced that was it ….but after a further check as I could still hear a slight rattle I found yet another !! A strip of cardboard with some double sided gorilla tape stuck on the end will find all manor of stuff that’s ended up down the front of the dash from previous owner if you bought second hand ..I’ve currently got a very annoying knocking or rattling emanating from under the rear of my van I think it’s connected to the crappy wheelbarrow style suspension or wheel arch liners . It sounds like I’ve got stuff in the van rattling around even before I suffer the additional annoyance of what happens when I do have stuff in the back … jeepers these vans do like to rattle .. I’m contemplating to have the suspension improved soon so I guess (hope) that should kill the issue ..

My first annoying rattle I solved was definitely coming from the plastic trim of the a pillar vibrating against the dash .. a thin piece of felt or carpet wedged in there sorted it out .. it took me months to find that rattle .. what a relief !

Then my next incredibly annoying one that took ages to locate was indeed the spare wheel . It was loose and rattling as it was a smaller wheel than the holder was designed for ! Yes I bought secondhand so was ripped off .. of course .

Brand new spare of the correct size sorted that out.
To be honest I find that owning one of these vans is a constant rattle hunt .. I’m now pretty sure the rear wheel outer liners are joining in the fun as if I tap them they are loose as hell and make quite a noise externally and when I had someone tap them whilst I was in the van it was quite a loud rattle that I could easily hear ... but I’m putting up with that one .. I went to a vw dealer and all of the liners were doing the same thing . Except one super modded t 6.1 that had been lowered and had custom wheels those liners were not rattling at all .. I guess they may have been sound insulated .
I have JUST fixed the same rattle as your first mentioned above! For months I was convinced something in the headlining or pillar was loose, or wiring loom rattling etc. I even fell out with the wife when I tried to get her to listen for it- it was coming from the passenger side and she said she couldn’t hear it, I said she didn’t want to hear it or didn’t care etc etc :slow rofl:anyway, we swapped driving and to be fair you can’t really hear it when you are on the passenger side, it seems to resonate over to the driver‘s side!
Turned out to be, as you stated, the lighter coloured A- pillar trim rattling against the dash just where they meet the windscreen. Some bike tube cut off and then inserted with a trim tool solved both sides as the driver’s side also started to rattle today and prompted me to action!
I think deadlining, insulating and carpeting the van may have been the best but worst thing I ever did because now I am so rattle- sensitive :oops:
Anyway, all sorted until the next one- at least this thread has me clued in for future possibilities!

I have JUST fixed the same rattle as your first mentioned above! For months I was convinced something in the headlining or pillar was loose, or wiring loom rattling etc. I even fell out with the wife when I tried to get her to listen for it- it was coming from the passenger side and she said she couldn’t hear it, I said she didn’t want to hear it or didn’t care etc etc :slow rofl:anyway, we swapped driving and to be fair you can’t really hear it when you are on the passenger side, it seems to resonate over to the driver‘s side!
Turned out to be, as you stated, the lighter coloured A- pillar trim rattling against the dash just where they meet the windscreen. Some bike tube cut off and then inserted with a trim tool solved both sides as the driver’s side also started to rattle today and prompted me to action!
I think deadlining, insulating and carpeting the van may have been the best but worst thing I ever did because now I am so rattle- sensitive :oops:
Anyway, all sorted until the next one- at least this thread has me clued in for future possibilities!
Oh, the passenger seatbelt holder also used to rattle….I cured this with a bit of the fluffy- sided sticky Velcro inserted between the red button and the black holder body without of course adversely affecting safety or operation! Only happened when no passenger belt clicked in!

Oh, the passenger seatbelt holder also used to rattle….I cured this with a bit of the fluffy- sided sticky Velcro inserted between the red button and the black holder body without of course adversely affecting safety or operation! Only happened when no passenger belt clicked in!
I’ve got a rattle in the b-pillar… well, the better-half has - I can’t hear it from the drivers’ seat

I’ve just installed this lot and I’ve been so careful to not allow the birth of new baby rattles that could breed and develop, once you’ve eliminated them all you tend to be very fussy about movement of any kind , still a lot to do yet but slowly seems to be the best approach.. it’s taking forever

21F8AFA4-6A10-4055-BABF-F395B0545C2F.jpeg

DASHBOARD FISHING AND SHERLOCK HOLMES-ING!
Should I start a new thread? Show us your dashboard/ windscreen margin contents?
So in the never ending search for rattle, I decided to go “dashboard fishing” as described previously in this post, using duct tape on the end of a suitably shaped trim tool.
Well…..no surprises on some of the items- pens, broken disposable knife, sugar sachet (fair trade! :thumbsup:) a few nuts and bolts etc…..
Being as I live in Northern Ireland and everyone knows everyone, even though I bought the van from a main dealer, someone I know knew the guy who owned the van before me so I know what he did for a living.

CAN ANYONE GUESS THE PREVIOUS OWNER’S PROFESSION FROM THE DASHBOARD DEBRIS? You can have my found objects if you can LOL! (Minus the fuse grabber and drill bit!)

MORE WORRYINGLY….who is “Claire” from Screwfix, did she ever return home and do I need to sweep the van for DNA, rip up the carpet and look for blood spatter using a UV light? :oops::slow rofl:

2F611701-7BCA-4DB1-883A-78EC94289EF2.jpeg

305C7AE8-292D-4B12-B761-AF6C28D41693.jpeg

DASHBOARD FISHING AND SHERLOCK HOLMES-ING!
Should I start a new thread? Show us your dashboard/ windscreen margin contents?
So in the never ending search for rattle, I decided to go “dashboard fishing” as described previously in this post, using duct tape on the end of a suitably shaped trim tool.
Well…..no surprises on some of the items- pens, broken disposable knife, sugar sachet (fair trade! :thumbsup:) a few nuts and bolts etc…..
Being as I live in Northern Ireland and everyone knows everyone, even though I bought the van from a main dealer, someone I know knew the guy who owned the van before me so I know what he did for a living.

CAN ANYONE GUESS THE PREVIOUS OWNER’S PROFESSION FROM THE DASHBOARD DEBRIS? You can have my found objects if you can LOL! (Minus the fuse grabber and drill bit!)

MORE WORRYINGLY….who is “Claire” from Screwfix, did she ever return home and do I need to sweep the van for DNA, rip up the carpet and look for blood spatter using a UV light? :oops::slow rofl:

View attachment 168938

View attachment 168939
Amazing !

I had an annoying dashboard rattle when the van was nearly new. It could be heard slightly louder with the entertainment system removed, but i couldn't pinpoint it. The dealer failed miserably at rectifying it, despite hearing it.

Anyway, it was to do with the heater matrix. Wedging some cloth between the heater pipes where they disappear into the bulkhead near the battery cured it. As a permanent job, i just lightly tensioned a cable tie around both pipes, pulling them together.

Back