Annoying dashboard rattle

Lest77

Hello,
After reading lots of previous posts regarding similar issues I've tried all the advice (removing the wiper blanking hole plugs, removing the square sun sensor rom the front of the dash) but to no avail.

There is a rattle coming from the front of my dashboard pretty much all the time and it is driving me insane. I've driven for miles with my wife and kids listening for it and vice versa. It's a rattle like something is loose, but I've checked everywhere and cannot find the source.

Anyone else have similar issues and resolved them please?
Thanks

Doubt it is the cause but i had what i thought was a dash rattle and it turned out to be the passenger right hand armrest. Rattles when in the upright position.

Are you sure its behind the dashboard... i had one on a previous vehicle which drove me mad for months... eventually i got the dealer to pull the vehicle apart looking for it... i was convinced it was behind the dash but it turned out to be a loose plate under the bonnet with the rattle transmitting through...

Hi @Lest77 ... Has the van had any wiring work done ..cable’s that aren’t covered can make annoying sounds

Hi, no not had any wiring done. Standard van at this stage.
I’m pretty sure it’s coming from the dashboard. Ill
Have another look under the bonnet. I’ve called the main dealer about looking at it under warranty but there is a 9 week waiting list.

I’ve just been biking and it rattled all the way there and all the way back. It’s like torture.

Hi @Lest77 .... 3 area’s that can cause annoying sounds are...
1. Spare wheel carrier ( under Floor noise can travel ..cheap pin on hinge )
2. Seat belt top anchor points. ( low rattle )
3. Exhaust heat cover ( under cab floor can rattle )

but could be anything....once try’d cheap kids toy stethoscope ( wife did i drove on bumpy road ) To find noise

good luck...But if you find noise ..Post it ...so we all learn :thumbsup:

Mine was both little speakers in the pillars.
I swore it was from the centre of the dash and so did passengers but I banged the pillar one day and there it was....both speakers were loose.

My interior light rattles. Took my ages to pin point it because I was convinced it was coming from the passenger side a pillar trim area. When ever I ask the wife to help but all I get is “what noise “

I have the same, only had the van for 3 weeks. The noise is so annoying. Mainly heard on rough asphalt and at high speeds.
have you had any joy locating it?

Hello,
After reading lots of previous posts regarding similar issues I've tried all the advice (removing the wiper blanking hole plugs, removing the square sun sensor rom the front of the dash) but to no avail.

There is a rattle coming from the front of my dashboard pretty much all the time and it is driving me insane. I've driven for miles with my wife and kids listening for it and vice versa. It's a rattle like something is loose, but I've checked everywhere and cannot find the source.

Anyone else have similar issues and resolved them please?
Thanks

My first annoying rattle I solved was definitely coming from the plastic trim of the a pillar vibrating against the dash .. a thin piece of felt or carpet wedged in there sorted it out .. it took me months to find that rattle .. what a relief !

Then my next incredibly annoying one that took ages to locate was indeed the spare wheel . It was loose and rattling as it was a smaller wheel than the holder was designed for ! Yes I bought secondhand so was ripped off .. of course .

Brand new spare of the correct size sorted that out.
To be honest I find that owning one of these vans is a constant rattle hunt .. I’m now pretty sure the rear wheel outer liners are joining in the fun as if I tap them they are loose as hell and make quite a noise externally and when I had someone tap them whilst I was in the van it was quite a loud rattle that I could easily hear ... but I’m putting up with that one .. I went to a vw dealer and all of the liners were doing the same thing . Except one super modded t 6.1 that had been lowered and had custom wheels those liners were not rattling at all .. I guess they may have been sound insulated .

My first annoying rattle I solved was definitely coming from the plastic trim of the a pillar vibrating against the dash .. a thin piece of felt or carpet wedged in there sorted it out .. it took me months to find that rattle .. what a relief !

Then my next incredibly annoying one that took ages to locate was indeed the spare wheel . It was loose and rattling as it was a smaller wheel than the holder was designed for ! Yes I bought secondhand so was ripped off .. of course .

Brand new spare of the correct size sorted that out.
To be honest I find that owning one of these vans is a constant rattle hunt .. I’m now pretty sure the rear wheel outer liners are joining in the fun as if I tap them they are loose as hell and make quite a noise externally and when I had someone tap them whilst I was in the van it was quite a loud rattle that I could easily hear ... but I’m putting up with that one .. I went to a vw dealer and all of the liners were doing the same thing . Except one super modded t 6.1 that had been lowered and had custom wheels those liners were not rattling at all .. I guess they may have been sound insulated .
Ahh I’ll take a look at the A pillar Tomorrow.
I've checked the sun sensor, and everywhere else. Sounds like it’s coming from the window heater vent onto of dashboard, but if I turn the radio up I can’t hear it haha.
thanks

An old girlfriend worked for BMW. Clients used to complain of rattling when driving, more often than not they were driving with their left hand on the gear knob and it would be their wedding ring vibrating against the top of the gear knob - how’s that for a pointless story

Ahh I’ll take a look at the A pillar Tomorrow.
I've checked the sun sensor, and everywhere else. Sounds like it’s coming from the window heater vent onto of dashboard, but if I turn the radio up I can’t hear it haha.
thanks
Yep just press on it whilst driving .. I heard someone else had exactly the same issue in a brand new 6.1 business card stuck in there sorted it

Yep just press on it whilst driving .. I heard someone else had exactly the same issue in a brand new 6.1 business card stuck in there sorted it
I found my rattle today. A previous owner had dropped a memory card case down the window vent. Thankfully the rattle has stopped now

I found my rattle today. A previous owner had dropped a memory card case down the window vent. Thankfully the rattle has stopped now
That’s a new one ! That damn sloping dashboard angle to the window... I’ve had to fish out so many parking tickets and all manor of items that have gone down there worst one being a guitar pick that I never found again .. thankfully it fell somewhere it cannot rattle as it was a thick guitar pick and could have ended up in a really annoying location and rattled for all eternity ..

I had an annoying rattle coming from behind the dashboard, stereo area.... could only be heard on acceleration... but was consistently irritating...

I found it was only present when i was running the van with my spare wheel fitted.... When i refitted the normal wheel there was no more acceleration rattles....

Rolling radius of the spare was within millimeters of the other 3 wheels... but something with this wheel was causing some resonance on acceleration leading to the rattle..!

So yet another source of annoying rattles can be caused by mis-matched wheels / tyres

I had a rattle from the dash area turned out it was the black panel directly below the glove box underneath packed with a couple bits of foam

I have a rattle too....but it isn’t there when I drive solo. I think it comes from the passenger seat rather than the dashboard though!

That’s a new one ! That damn sloping dashboard angle to the window... I’ve had to fish out so many parking tickets and all manor of items that have gone down there worst one being a guitar pick that I never found again .. thankfully it fell somewhere it cannot rattle as it was a thick guitar pick and could have ended up in a really annoying location and rattled for all eternity ..
There's a fix for that.....

Back