Advice on buying T6 for towing

Thinking about a change of van , always had manuals till now .
How does the dsg perform for towing ( big caravan ) ??

I tow a boat with my 150 DSG - trailer+boat+top box is only around 300kg though so nowhere near your caravan weight - that said, there is no noticeable difference in acceleration and performance with the trailer on and I actually seem to get better MPG (primarily as a result of me adhering to reduced speed limits).

DSG was top of my list decided not to due to towing however boat prob twice as heavy as caravan

I tow with my DSG and its never been a problem, infact sometimes I forget I've got a trailer on the back. Never notice it straining or struggling to pull the weight. Mine is a 204 so that might help.
I do put it in sport mode on the gear selector but only so I get engine breaking which I don't get when in D.
I would never go back to manual but I'm getting lazy with old age.

I have a swb 150 dsg and have towed our 1800kg twin axle caravan for the last 2.5 years with no problems even with 20's.
Sometimes need to drop into sport on long hills

I have a swb 150 dsg and have towed our 1800kg twin axle caravan for the last 2.5 years with no problems even with 20's.
Sometimes need to drop into sport on long hills
Can i just ask, Does it make a difference if you have bigger wheels and if so why ?

Thanks for the replies , will see if I can get a test drive in one , had been ruling them out of potential vans but sounds ok .

Reversing with a loaded trailer can over heat the DSG and go into shut down until it has cooled.
Happened to me once trying to reverse trailer up a slight gradient.

Reversing with a loaded trailer can over heat the DSG and go into shut down until it has cooled.
Happened to me once trying to reverse trailer up a slight gradient.
Thanks for that tip. I don't tow often but its sometimes heavy plant and thats worth considering.:thumbsup:

Can i just ask, Does it make a difference if you have bigger wheels and if so why ?

Its not so much the 20 inch wheel @Lord Mfwic that changes things. But the combination of a wheel with a larger radius and fitted with a tyre that doesn't have a low enough profile to compensate in maintaining the standard tyre circumference. This will create a combined drive train with taller/higher/longer gearing. Not as extreme perhaps, but along the same lines as trying to pull away from a standing start in 2nd, instead of 1st. Big diameter tyres = less torque = less acceleration.

Then there's the difference in aerodynamic drag, when at speed especially, if the tyres fitted on 20's are wider. Also different (usually but not always necessarily greater) rolling resistance.

I'm sure @Loz will be along in a minute to tell you what other efficiency it also effects.....:thumbsup:

Its not so much the 20 inch wheel @Lord Mfwic that changes things. But the combination of a wheel with a larger radius and fitted with a tyre that doesn't have a low enough profile to compensate in maintaining the standard tyre circumference. This will create a combined drive train with taller/higher/longer gearing. Not as extreme perhaps, but along the same lines as trying to pull away from a standing start in 2nd, instead of 1st. Big diameter tyres = less torque = less acceleration.

Then there's the difference in aerodynamic drag, when at speed especially, if the tyres fitted on 20's are wider. Also different (usually but not always necessarily greater) rolling resistance.

I'm sure @Loz will be along in a minute to tell you what other efficiency it also effects.....:thumbsup:
I rarely tow and my wheels are 17 inch but every day is a school day and thank you @Dieseldonkey for taking the time to explain that to me.:thumbsup:

I rarely tow and my wheels are 17 inch but every day is a school day and thank you @Dieseldonkey for taking the time to explain that to me.:thumbsup:
I do find that when I run on the 16 inch winters I can get a bit more wheel spin when setting off over the 20's but I put that down to less contact patch of the tyres. 215 vs 275

I tow a tri-axle trailer. Mainly loaded.
204 dsg and it pulls well. I'd say my only criticism of the dsg in normal auto mode is it holds the low gears too long on down hills and it needs knocking to manual to get into a higher gear. Funny enough I had a tiguan and a touareg and these were the same.
Engine wise it's no V6 but more than adequate.
Like everything, towing with any van is a comprise. If you want a tow vehicle then go for a Disco, if you want load space go for a van.
Overall I wouldn't have a manual.

I tow a 2 tonne boat with a LWB 204 DSG 4mot. Tows like a dream.

I will do about the same but on 2 wheels hence avoided the dsg slippy slipways and steep drive - but if it wasn’t for that was def on list.

Good news TE towing though - wonder what has been pushed in terms of weight Tower in a T6???

I don’t use are t6 for towing as we have a 4x4 car but we have motor movers on the caravan we have now and it saves the clutch ,Duel mass flywheel and gearbox. If you use them to position the van on site I think the car parts will last as long as one that doesn’t tow and with the cost of fitting motor mover coming down it’s cheaper than repairing the car . We have a manual but would be happy to use a auto for towing in the future.

Back