peteslack

T6 Pro
My van a T30 was lowered by the previous owner and by the looks (purple) has Stance fitted.

Since conversion to camper have developed a saggy rear end .....

Advice appreciated on how to raise the rear ride height by say 20mm to match the front. Front measures 395 wheel centre to wheel arch, rear 375. Van currently drives and handles well.

a couple of questions

- from the photo is the Stance suspension fitted correctly ?
- can you just turn the adjuster ? if so how many turns to go up 20mm ?
- by adjusting the spring will it make the ride harder ? and more likely to break a spring ?
- do i need to replace stiffer springs to match the increased weight in the van ?

Thanks in advance

Peter

rear stace fitting.jpg

front wheel height.jpg

rear wheel height.jpg

My van a T30 was lowered by the previous owner and by the looks (purple) has Stance fitted.

Since conversion to camper have developed a saggy rear end .....

Advice appreciated on how to raise the rear ride height by say 20mm to match the front. Front measures 395 wheel centre to wheel arch, rear 375. Van currently drives and handles well.

a couple of questions

- from the photo is the Stance suspension fitted correctly ?
- can you just turn the adjuster ? if so how many turns to go up 20mm ?
- by adjusting the spring will it make the ride harder ? and more likely to break a spring ?
- do i need to replace stiffer springs to match the increased weight in the van ?

Thanks in advance

Peter

View attachment 130416

View attachment 130417

View attachment 130418
I had a similar problem and Stance+ (Venom Motorsport) sent me out some heavier-duty springs. I say similar in that mine were coilbound.
Ultimately I ended up changing them out for KW coilovers which, are not only more comfortable, give better scope for raising / lowering.

Oh and measure from the centre-cap to the wheel - that way you’ll get a more reliable measurement

Thanks for your advice, suspect I'll have to get some taller heavier duty springs too, the top coil does look compressed and lifting will compress it even more.

Can you tell from my wheel hub to arch measurements how much my van has been lowered ? Front wheel hub centre to top of wheel arch is 395 mm - lowered about 40 mm ??

Standard PV:

Arch from centre of wheel:

460mm T26 T28 T30, T32 = 470mm

So you’re a bit more than 40mm!

Ta, explains a thing or two, goes under car park barriers easily....

So 65mm down on the front an 85 mm on the back - I did read somewhere that Stance were often used for very low rides.
The front Stance strut adjuster is all the way down with just two threads left - see photo
The rear measures approx 170mm from underbody to suspension arm looks like coil spring is about 120mm in length, the coil adjuster looks to have 10mm of lift left in it. So not enough to adjust to level.

Think I'll get a set of 60mm lowered H&R for the back and lift the front by 5mm - any thoughts ? Then do the fronts when they wear out.

Thinking the rear coils are a bit soft for my T30 LWB

Will fill your survey in when i find which roll bar I have. Looks to be the Stance+ Street set up SPC094

Also discovered the bottom shock absorber bolt is 13/16 AF ....

thanks for your help, much appreciated

front strut.jpg

rear springs measure.jpg

stance spc094.jpg

Ta, explains a thing or two, goes under car park barriers easily....

So 65mm down on the front an 85 mm on the back - I did read somewhere that Stance were often used for very low rides.
The front Stance strut adjuster is all the way down with just two threads left - see photo
The rear measures approx 170mm from underbody to suspension arm looks like coil spring is about 120mm in length, the coil adjuster looks to have 10mm of lift left in it. So not enough to adjust to level.

Think I'll get a set of 60mm lowered H&R for the back and lift the front by 5mm - any thoughts ? Then do the fronts when they wear out.

Thinking the rear coils are a bit soft for my T30 LWB

Will fill your survey in when i find which roll bar I have. Looks to be the Stance+ Street set up SPC094

Also discovered the bottom shock absorber bolt is 13/16 AF ....

thanks for your help, much appreciated

View attachment 130587

View attachment 130588

View attachment 130589
After speaking to Richard at Venom Motorsport, he sent me taller rear springs marked 095. Might be worth a try.

Update

Wound the rear adjusters all the way down and got the rear to lift 20mm to 395 mm centre of hub to arch, so the van is now level with 65mm of drop. Looks good but I think need to go up maybe 10mm more for a camper. As both front and rear adjusters are now at maximum will have to upgrade, KW ST X looking favourite.

Can't find a KW ST X set in the country, if you know anyone with a set for sale please message me.

Not sure if its the van weight or intentional design of the Stance+ SPC 094 but looks like its designed for 80mm or more of drop.

Not sure now about rear spring strength/length on a t30 LWB, VW specify "4 yellow bands" for the rear on a j70 van. In camper mode suspect will need stronger springs and LWB adds to this, anyone on here with a lowered LWB camper ? Would be interested to know what length/strength springs you have installed.

The Stance+ plus spring is 160mm high uninstalled and with the adjuster on max gives a total length of 220, uncompressed. For comparison a VW "one yellow stripe" spring I have is 240mm high, might be a T28 one, don't know. The Stance+ springs do compress an amount when supporting the van.

Some lessons learnt from working on the rear suspension.

- Breaker bar trick - putting the breaker bar through the wheel axle stub and sitting on it brings the subframe down far enough to turn the adjuster by hand without removing the spring. Shock absorber needs to come off for the last few turns though.

- Breaker bar trick #2 - get wife (the one that makes the swivel seat creak..) to stand on it whilst you put the spring back in.

- upper bump stop has to come off to get the spring off easily.

- Put the upper bump stop inside the spring before you put it on, lever the bump stop in with a bit of thin wood.

- Small trolley jack (2 tonne) works well to support the sub frame ie high enough lift.

- Shock absorber 21mm nuts are also 13/16" AF

stance rear.jpg

van rear spring new set up.jpg

new rear set up van.jpg

Last edited:
The KW kit we do is a limited edition black label . STX. But In all black appearance. More professional in my opinion. Most of our clients don’t want the KW bling . Yellow and purple.
we have stock

I had a similar problem and Stance+ (Venom Motorsport) sent me out some heavier-duty springs. I say similar in that mine were coilbound.
Ultimately I ended up changing them out for KW coilovers which, are not only more comfortable, give better scope for raising / lowering.

Oh and measure from the centre-cap to the wheel - that way you’ll get a more reliable measurement
Gone the KW and H&R ARBs route from Steve @CRS Performance - thanks for your help

Back