AdBlue Refill Query

But isn't it actually a cunning way to lay the blame on the customer...

Actually, on early AdBlue systems (e.g Passat up to approx. MY14) you indeed could reproduce fault by "overfilling". However, the system was not as sophisticated as ours. More about the ancient system in VAG SSP 424 – Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment System Selective Catalytic Reduction – PDF Download (published in 2009).
Our previous Tig gave no indication of how much needed to be added, or range until 1500 miles. I used to put about 8 litres at a time in that once it said it was low and all was good.

Reactions: mmi
@tinctina - What it tells you to add on the display, usually 10 litres.
Don't overfill.
Then turn ignition on for 30 secs.
Turn off ignition
Turn on ignition and fire her up.
The countdown will have (should have) reset its self.
Good to go for another 5000 miles

Last edited:
It’s a 13L tank and when I filled it up with 1000 miles left on the counter the whole 10L can went in, so now I know for next time just to wait til that and pop the next can in.

Just topped mine up with about 1.75l but the count won't reset. Still showing the same and to fill with 1.5-2.0l ?
Anything else I need to do?

Yes. We have our DIS units set to miles and gallons, so that's what it displayed the adblue quantities in.

When I fill mine, I change the units in the DIS to metric as it's easier to gauge litres when pouring it from a 5 or 10 litre container.

It's not me coat I need!

Put the rest of the 5l pot in, it's not enough but now reads 3500 miles.
Thanks gents.
I'll go quietly.

If the adblue
Tip, temporarily change your units to metric to see this in litres.

View attachment 149179

1659441208766.png

My dash displays exactly as the picture above. (not mileage - adblue reading) Just bought 5 litres of adblue from Asda. That works out 1.1 gallon. Should I buy more or should I ignore the minimum 1.25gal bit and stick the 5 Litres in which would be just short of the minimum. Adblue was £14 at Asda. couple of years ago I saw it @ £6 I believe. Is the trend as with everything else? ...i.e we're getting ripped off for everything

Aim for the max or the ECU will have a hissy-fit. Buy more.

Back