Adblue range on MFD

Little update. Wasn't resetting and was down to 250 miles before engine wont start warning so action required.
Checked the fill level as above using OBD11. Reducing agent tank volume actual value calculated = 14 litres.
I thought my tank was only 13 litres so figured I'd overfilled hence the error.

Removed the under tray. 3 star fixings and 5 bolts to get to the adblue tank. The lower and larger fill pipe into the adblue tank has 2 green quick release tabs either side which need to be pressed in while you wiggle and twist the pipe off the tank. It's tricky lying on your back under the van. Used a screwdriver on one of the tabs jammed against the underbody then my left hand to push in the other tab and right hand to wriggle off the pipe. Got there eventually. Adblue was only trickling out the tank so used a screwdriver inside the tank pipe to open a non return valve and started draining to a 10 litre bucket. To my surprise only 8 litres came out. Tapped the adblue tank and it sounded empty. Pipe back on. Undertray back on.

Started the engine and fired up OBD11 and it still said 14 litres. Hmmmm. Stopped and started again, no change.

So off I drove back home but left OBD11 running the live data and after a couple of miles the level started dropping a few ml every few seconds. Funny thing was when I got home and parked up the van I left the engine running but the level stopped dropping. At this point it was saying there was 12 litres in there. I know there isn't, I drained the lot. So I took it for a further drive and the level started dropping again. After about 20 minutes OBD11 was reporting the level down to about 10 litres then all of a sudden the fill level recommendation popped up saying 1.00 to 1.00 gallons. The 250 mile warning was still there but this felt like progress. Continued driving for another 20 minutes until I had to go home for a prior appointment by which time OBD was reporting 8 litres in the tank, 4000km range (down from 8000) and a recommended fill level of 1.00 to 1.75 gallons. The warning to engine stop has also now dropped to 200 miles left. :rolleyes:

So over the next few days I'm gonna keep driving and checking the reported level in the hope it will eventually get down to 0 litres then I'll stick 5 litres in and pray the warning resets after another drive otherwise it's off to the stealers over Christmas. :confused:

The confusing thing is the way the reported fill level is only dropping slowly and only does so when the van is moving but I guess this sorta confirms what other users have reported when saying they took it for a drive and it "fixed itself".

Will update here if this ends up as success or failure.

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Well DIY time is nearly up. Left for a couple of days after the fill level finally dropped to 7.8l It was not dropping to 0 as hoped so maybe I didn't fully drain the tank?
So stuck 5l back in and the reading went up to 13 but the warning light stayed on.
So tried resetting the adblue using OBD11 following these instructions from the Ross Tech forum.
2012-2014 NAR Passat(A32) TDI/CKRA – AdBlue Level Reset Procedure

Scr lock reset seemed to complete.
Scr tank level reset seemed to complete.
Scr efficiency test ~ 15mins doesnt complete. Started the test, pressed brake the accelerator right down and revs went up to 1500 but after about a minute the revs dropped back to 800 which I'm assuming means the test has failed?

There must be a problem with an adblue component. Maybe a duff injector, who knows.

So that's me done. Once the 150 miles remaining is done and the engine wont start it's a call to VW assist to get it hauled off to the stealers.

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Well DIY time is nearly up. Left for a couple of days after the fill level finally dropped to 7.8l It was not dropping to 0 as hoped so maybe I didn't fully drain the tank?
So stuck 5l back in and the reading went up to 13 but the warning light stayed on.
So tried resetting the adblue using OBD11 following these instructions from the Ross Tech forum.
2012-2014 NAR Passat(A32) TDI/CKRA – AdBlue Level Reset Procedure

Scr lock reset seemed to complete.
Scr tank level reset seemed to complete.
Scr efficiency test ~ 15mins doesnt complete. Started the test, pressed brake the accelerator right down and revs went up to 1500 but after about a minute the revs dropped back to 800 which I'm assuming means the test has failed?

There must be a problem with an adblue component. Maybe a duff injector, who knows.

So that's me done. Once the 150 miles remaining is done and the engine wont start it's a call to VW assist to get it hauled off to the stealers.
Hello i'm having the same problem had vw assist out today they tried a forced regen, then tried to reset the adblue mileage twice but it didn't work. Kept previously having a problem with the adblue jumping from a few thousand miles down to 650. Then jumping back to few thousand and so on for a while. Then it stayed at 650 went down to around 300 then i refilled but has not been regestering. Vcds showing 13litre is in there? Did Vw sort the problem? Thanks Paul

They did. Told me they drained a few litres and reset it which is what I tried but I failed to reset it using OBD11. Try and pull a couple of litres out then see if VCDS can reset it using the method I tried above.

They did. Told me they drained a few litres and reset it which is what I tried but I failed to reset it using OBD11. Try and pull a couple of litres out then see if VCDS can reset it using the method I tried above.
Thanks for the reply i syphoned about 3litres out using a cheap 12v oil pump and changed the adblue injector. Had a nightmare with my local dealer saying they wouldn't look at my van unless it got recovered in.( under extended warranty) vw assist said they wouldn't recover it in as it still had 5miles before no start. I was stuck in the middle in the end vw customer care mediated it and said to take van to the dealers. Not wanting my van to be ignored by them for weeks as i need the van for work,i went to a VW parts counter bought a new injector. It didn't register after a 10mile drive. So then decided i'd have to take it to them but on the way there it reset itself, thank god. VCDS nor the Vw assist odis system showed any errors with any of the adblue parts which is why i was baffled. Got there in the end though. Thanks for the reply much appreciated

Back