A Sad Day - #gutted -

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
ITS A SAD DAY & therefore - #GUTTED -

Its more than just a scratch this time. . . . .

This happened @ 730am yesterday morning on Victoria embankment - London.

Just sitting there stationary at a set of red lights when this guy who was turning right in the filter lane . . . . . massive crane lorry with rear wheel steering . . . . . his rear quarter just ruins the side of my van.

The whole side, door & mirror.

20181101_074820.jpg 20181101_074847.jpg 20181101_074519.jpg 20181101_074825.jpg 20181102_070949.jpg 20181102_071011.jpg 20181101_191639.jpg 20181102_140951.jpg

Thanks Emerson Crane Hire.

So not such a great day.

=[

OMFG
@Dellmassive

Sorry sorry fella ? Its my worse fear, im driving so gingerly now ! Its almost time travel as im planning what all the other Muppet's are about to do around me before they do it ! lol..
I'm defiantly fitting a front and rear camera

Very sad day, happy to be any help to you if you need it

Mate, commiserations. That’s sh!te.
I bet you saw your life flashing before your eyes when you looked in the side-mirror and saw the trailer hitting the van.

Also, does this now mean you’ll be leaving #teamsilver for #teamtwotone..?
Never seen a silver and green Transporter before...

So sorry for you mate I’m sure it’s one of everyones worst fears on this forum, looks like you’ve got lots of evidence to prove you were the innocent party though, hopefully the insurers will sort it out sooner rather than later

God ! ... I'd never feel the same again. Feel for you with that :cry::(

Takes some B*lls driving your own big shiny van in London for sure. Bl**dy construction traffic should be night time only. Out by 6am latest. They just cause carnage of all types in town

So shes finally off to a damage assessors in St Albans.. . . .

they have given me a SWB Vauxhall . . . . .God Help Me. (at least its silver)

On the up side the tracking company just called me to ask if everything was ok ..... seems that being on the back of a transport lorry triggers the unauthorized movement alarm with them . . . . . oops.

20181106_103348.jpg 20181106_104134.jpg 20181106_104709.jpg

Just caught up with this thread, as above, I'd be gutted, but the upside is at least you know who did it.

Giving you a Vivaro is a bit like kicking a man when he's down, but you'll appreciate the VW so much more when you get it back.

So shes finally off to a damage assessors in St Albans.. . . .

they have given me a SWB Vauxhall . . . . .God Help Me. (at least its silver)

On the up side the tracking company just called me to ask if everything was ok ..... seems that being on the back of a transport lorry triggers the unauthorized movement alarm with them . . . . . oops.

View attachment 31225 View attachment 31226 View attachment 31227

I had the same Vivaro before my T6. They actually drive really nice and fantastic on fuel.
Just be careful of sliding doors falling off, door handles falling off, shockers leaking, power steering packing up, radios not working, fuel pipes cracking, or the exhaust leaking.

Other than those minor issues, a great van :eek:

- Update -

Firstly i forgot to mention that when all this first happened the insurance company had me booked in with a local bodywork shop . . . . . . . .

Now i had driven past this shop a million times before and had noticed half repaired motors lying about on the street and the thought of my van being left with them filled me with dread. So i asked the question to my insurance company "Are they VW approved?" . . . after a while of short holding music they reply was . . . . . "oh you want a approved vw repair do you?" . . . . . . . "ER YES I DO !" was my answer.

So it seem that there are various levels of insurance approved repairers . . . .

There is basic general repair . . . . . . repair firms that are listed with insurance companies with the basic requirements.

Then there are general + manufacture specific approved repair companies . . . . . . ie VW.

The there are general + manufacture specific + commercial approved repair companies . . . . . . ie VW CV.

So it seams that the T6 is classed as a VW commercial vehicle . . . . fair enough. . . . . . . 6 hours later they had located a VWCV approved repair center, all be it 40 Miles away from me.

No problem as they dropped of a hire van on a low loader and took our T6 straight to the repair center . . . . . . i was mesmerized watching the tracker web-page update as it made its way to St Albans. (but now im much happier knowing the fact that these guys are supposed to be VWCV approved....... and not just a basic standard repairer that would give it a go. =]

Now on with the series . . . . . . . .

here are a couple more pics of what happened.

20181102_070957.jpg

20181101_074847.jpg

20181105_122923.jpg

The assessors called yesterday . . . . . . . the damage requires a new side on the van and new door with folding mirror etc.

estimated cost . . . . ? £12000 (inc vat) - ouch!

The bummer is im VAT reg, so i have to pay the VAT and claim it back.

lets look and see what needs to be done:

The assessor said that it need: A new side, A new door, A new mirror set, + Paint . . . . . so basically what we assumed.

well and new door and mirror is easy right, they can be ordered pre painted so just bolt on. . . .so simple.

now lets look at the side.

removing the interior ply-lining you can see that the internal bracing looks to be undamaged from this pic . . .

20181105_160116.jpg

so that seems good, just the outer side panel then.. what does it look like?

v1.JPG

so you can see that most of the inner outer panels are just bonded together . . . . .

.v2.JPG

The original panel needs cutting off, there are a mix of plug, seam and laser welds.

v3.JPG

The new panel is fitted with a mix of bonding, plug welds and seam welds.

v4.JPG

so my original worry was that the roof section was laser welded by robot in the factory . . . . . . so would the new panel that would be human seam welded be as good and straight.true?

and as mentioned above that correct cavity protection would be carried out to prevent future corrosion?

well armed with the above knowledge i had a chat with the repairers.

they assured me that they were VWCV approved repairers, and that they would follow the manufacture repair guidelines and use genuine parts . . . . . . . .

They also said that this was common damage on panel vans and that they had done a few before already. . . . . fingers crossed right.

So now its been assessed we had to wait for the 3rd party to admit fault before anything can proceed.

and dont forget that the £12000 was just for the repair, they will then add on the hire van, other costs and there fees . . . . . so who knows what the final cost will be? . . . . . im gonna guess now at £17000 to £19000 inc.

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Back