A little wave makes you feel good.

I got waved at yesterday by a silver T6 as I came out of Minehead.......... Thing is I wasn't driving my T6 (was in a Search & Rescue Hilux) maybe they sensed my admiring glance!

When I was in Scotland 2 weeks ago I got waves from every T3, every T4, a few T5s, even an enthusiastically driven Bay. T6s? One...

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I nod at l platers. Mainly coz in my yoof i was a scooterist. But i nod at all 2 wheelers generally where i can. L platers are our future.
cant beat a scooter still got mine from when i was a lad li lambretta and a vespa 152 L2 (1958 model little 8 inch wheels and only 3 gears extremely slow quite slow and slow :cool: , thinking of getting the royal alloy 300 gp for a laugh (auto not geared ).

I honestly wouldnt ride a scooter ever again. :) Soz. I had an old rally 200 in garage for >20yrs which I sold recently. I rode it up and down our road and it was terrible. I should mention I ride a superbikes these days. I've not ridden a scoot since 91(ish). They were great days through the 80's scootering. I've just gotten used to brakes that work and not having to spend hundreds just to go 10mph faster only to seize in the middle of nowhere, at night in the middle of a storm. They moan about T6 lights on here, they know nothing unless theyve ridden an old 6v Vespa. Just having lights that work was a bonus. Anyhow, best of luck on your L2, theyre pretty. I've been seduced by power and reliability. (I used to ride Lambretta's mainly)

Despite having one I think a lot of Cali owners are up-their-own-backsides goons after a bit of "prestige" or something.
Hmmm....as a T6 Cali owner myself, I think you have a point. I also had a T5.1 Cali and it was the same.

I wave and yes, feel bit of a plonker when there is no response. I’m going to keep waving though. I am also going to buy one of those T6 forum stickers for my van. And, when I transfer my plate over (B16 JOG) to my van, I will ask the forum moderator to change my screen name to that!

I am on the VWCalifornia forum too, but this is the forum I’ve chosen to buy a subscription for! That speaks for itself really!

Regards,

JOG

I wave to every VW bus. 1st weekend in Wales starting in about 2hrs so loads of waves this weekend.
I just wish I could get a neon sign on the back saying "miserable *anker" if they blatantly blank me.
That would make them a “Bus Anker” then!!!

I find the T4’s and T5s are more into waving than the T6s. I’m always waving. Get a few of the thumbs up little finger outs.

Are all waves the same one asks? A courtesy: If someone allows you out of a junction, pulls over on a narrow road to let you pass. In Scotland on single lane roads most of the indigenous folk living in remote areas will even pull over when a car travelling from behind and catches them up. Sign posts are even placed to remind people to do so. Not that many visitors will do so, in fact they will do every thing possible to stop someone from doing so. If some one stops to let you cross the road. For all of these kind acts we wave or lift our hand to salute or offer thanks to the facilitator. That wave or nod is then returned That is an unwritten Law of human decency, thanking someone who has helped us. In the countryside most people acknowledge each other with a raised hand as they pass. Bearing in mind a neighbour in a rural or remote area may be unknown by speech or name but we wave to acknowledge each others existence. Its a warm thing to do, some neighbours may live miles away because we may live on our own patch not surrounded by other houses sometimes for miles. If I am driving around and see some one as I pass or going the other way it is a reflex action to just acknowledge each other with a hand. We might not see that person again for ages. Occasionally we may have to slow right down on a narrow road and crawl, then stop and pass a few words and travel on again. We never ignore each other. there is always some sort of acknowledgement, always. Even if just a smile.

When we have had guests and I drive them about or pick someone up from a distant place and bring them back. They believe that I know hundreds of people because I do all the above acknowledge a courtesy on the road no matter how small lift the hand to some farmer 3 miles away just to show he exists. It is the way it is done. Wow you sure know a lot of people. In fact I know few of them really.

Living in cities can be different. In the north, Liverpool Manchester, Glasgow and so on, people used to chat to each other on the bus. Little old ladies would talk to teens, they do not know. Waiting at a bus stop, a conversation with a stranger was very easy and not unusual. In different part of UK, I do not want to say which part, it was very different, people did not like to look strangers in the eye. If waiting for a bus, they would just stair at the floor at anything to avoid any form of closeness almost a refusal of acknowledgement at any level. It like that thing when people enter a lift. Everyone shuts up even if they may have been talking to a friend. If someone, me for instance tried to talk to someone in a lift even a comment. The others would shift about on their feet awkwardly and try not to engage. It would make them noticeably uncomfortable.

This forum is a sort of community, we ask advice, we give advice. We chat about all sorts of things. We agree, we disagree, we applaud, we grumble, we disapprove. We acknowledge each other, we learn how to respond. It is more for many than just a place to exchange mechanical information. It is part of being human being an animal even. Perhaps that familiarity, leans us towards acknowledging others, who seem or appear or who might be in our little society. Occasionally someone may return that wave or lifted hand and then we feel warm. We exist, they are like us. we have a common interest. Perhaps those who do not wave have not realised that. They are on their own in their own bubble. The car is not their link to humanity. Perhaps they do not even belong to humanity or wish to be part of it.

It is really OK to wave or accept others. It is a warm and human thing and some will appreciate that and others will just ignore it, for a thousand reasons or perhaps they did not even notice because they are away with the fairies.

Just carry:) on waving you might get one back, it might be me;)waving back!:waving:

Society has changed..busy people have busy lives... thoughtfulness consideration and good manners aren’t necessarily natural to many but for some who are happy with there lot.... choose to wave :mexican wave:

I live near Squires so its like riding through a swarm of Chuchill dogs around here with all the nodding (" Oh, yes...")
I do like a Dub wave though, its nice, costs nowt and gives you a little boost that can make all the difference on a crap day :)

I always put my hand up when I see another bus, but only ones that look modded, those people are more likely to 'get' the wave thing.

I didn’t wave .....but this guy in his van ( it’ new to him ) pulled up as I was walking by......so I said ..very nice. We then spent the next 20mins chatting about vans ...Made my day ...its good to talk. :)

Drove my 1959 splitsrceen for the first time in over a year this week and was flashed / waved at by a few T5/6 drivers.

I didn't wave back!

Not being a snob it's just I needed both hands on the wheel to keep it going in the right direction!

Love my T6 as a daily driver but came home grinning and possibly a little rosey cheeked from breathing carbon monoxide in the exhaust!

PXL_20201117_160712577.jpg

I have waved at other VW vans but got to the point where I feel like everyone is just downright ignorant. Sounds sad but I was very much looking forward to giving the old VW sign but now starting to feel embarrassed when I do.

In the 4 weeks I have owned the van one other van has waved, although it was a T6 :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back