[Guide] 4M Haldex Pump Screen Cleaning

Fluff34567

Swiss member
T6 Guru
Anyone here cleaned the pump screen on the haldex unit or is there a how to somewhere?

Is there really no filter or just vw considering it a fit for life unit? I ask as I can find many site selling a gen 5 haldex filter unit.

Some good info ---> Generation 5 Haldex Fault Finding Repair Guide

And indeed - there is no filter.

It is actually quite simple to remove the pump on T6: easy to access, just two bolts and an electric connector.
If you take the pump out for cleaning please post a picture if there is any sludge on pump gauze.

1_4m_pump_blocked_1-jpg.22457

Thanks for all the replies, I looked for replacement orings but couldn't find a number... Anyone know of replacements?

I’m surprised they don’t incorporate a magnet to catch debris.

Just did my oil change and screen clean yesterday - At 29K miles my screen was somewhere between the photo from @Fluff34567 and that of @mmi. It definitely needed cleaning.....and sorry, forgot to take a photo!
I'll be doing future Haldex services at 20K miles or two years (which ever comes first) from now on.

Some top tips for those looking to do it themselves:
- Buy the G055175A2 oil as you're going to need the 1 litre bottle. (G060175A2 is 850ml so not enough for the T6 Haldex V variant)
- The T30 torx bolt for the top motor bolt is quite tight to get to. If you have the traditional L shaped Torx key you will definitely be able to remove it (a T bar type will probably foul)
- To remove the motor you need to pull the wires through the conduit. I unbolted the module (Two x T30 torx) to provide the extra slack although if you're flexible you might be able to disconnect the plug.
- If you have an airline, once the oil has stopped dripping from the drain, blow air into the oil fill port. You will now get thick drops of very contaminated oil dripping out.
- Once the screen has been cleaned, motor and drain plug refitted (and module if you unbolted it), you'll get about 850ml of oil into the Haldex unit. I used a large syringe with 6mm freeline kart fuel pipe on the end for this.
- If you have VCDS, start the engine, go into Module 22, select 'Basic Setting - 04' and from the drop down select the pump motor option and get it running. After a few seconds you'll hear the pump running and then it will speed up (you don't need to get anywhere near the pump to hear it), it will stop, then do about three quick runs and then the VCDS will tell you the pump run was successful. You should be able to get another 100ml of oil into the Haldex unit now. If you don't have VCDS you could probably go for a drive when Boris lets you back out and when you get back add the extra oil.

Just did my oil change and screen clean yesterday - At 29K miles my screen was somewhere between the photo from @Fluff34567 and that of @mmi. It definitely needed cleaning.....and sorry, forgot to take a photo!
I'll be doing future Haldex services at 20K miles or two years (which ever comes first) from now on.

- Buy the G055175A2 oil as you're going to need the 1 litre bottle. (G060175A2 is 850ml so not enough for the T6 Haldex V variant)
- The T30 torx bolt for the top motor bolt is quite tight to get to. If you have the traditional L shaped Torx key you will definitely be able to remove it (a T bar type will probably foul)
- To remove the motor you need to pull the wires through the conduit. I unbolted the module (Two x T30 torx) to provide the extra slack although if you're flexible you might be able to disconnect the plug.
- If you have an airline, once the oil has stopped dripping from the drain, blow air into the oil fill port. You will now get thick drops of very contaminated oil dripping out.
- Once the screen has been cleaned, motor and drain plug refitted (and module if you unbolted it), you'll get about 850ml of oil into the Haldex unit. I used a large syringe with 6mm freeline kart fuel pipe on the end for this.
- If you have VCDS, start the engine, go into Module 22, select 'Basic Setting - 04' and from the drop down select the pump motor option and get it running. After a few seconds you'll hear the pump running and then it will speed up (you don't need to get anywhere near the pump to hear it), it will stop, then do about three quick runs and then the VCDS will tell you the pump run was successful. You should be able to get another 100ml of oil into the Haldex unit now. If you don't have VCDS you could probably go for a drive when Boris lets you back out and when you get back add the extra oil.
Good post, it ought to be added as a sticky

Another one - after 2 years, 34.000 km / 21.000 miles.
T6_Haldex_pump_34000_km.jpg

Is this the right stuff

is this the right stuff?

Now if I could just find it as a kit. See lots on ebay with o rings and syringes but all 850ml

Back