New HPFP and help needed ???

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
New HPFP and help needed ???

starting this thread for @Pitt , as he Pm`d me about it.

but i think we should work through it here, so everybody can offer advice and help.

this is what @Pitt said:

Hi hope you don’t mind me messaging you I have a 2019 t6 150bhp
Was driving on motorway and tge van started misfire
Got it recovered to vw main dealer they checked it and diagnosed high pressure fuel pump failure and full replacement of all fuel pipes filter all injectors etc etc £8600
It’s only done 65,000 miles
It still starts but very lumpy and think not firing on 1st cylinder
I was thinking would it still start if the pump had failed ? Any advice welcome

Thanks

+++

1706710428876.png

+++

@Dellmassive i replied with:

2019 so assuming you are out of warranty?

65k is very low miles. . .

but maybe if its been sitting round for ages its caused wear?

HPFP fail is an expensive job, all the lines need flushing (main dealer will want to replace) tank needs flushing and injectors will need replacing.

normally fine metals that you cant see contaminate the system and score the HPFP bores - leading to low injector pressure and bad running to a non runner.

id do a post on the forum - link it here.

as there are many others that can offer advice.

but im thinking it will be much cheaper at a local VW indy garage - Not sure you need to go to main dealer unless under a warranty with them

+++

@Pitt -
Hi thanks for your reply to this it’s much appreciated
The dealers have said they don’t need to flush out the tank for some reason that is making me worried !
The independent garage near me have priced this up at £7k !
id like to know if you know anyone in leeds that can do this and actually know and done this before ?
Thanks again it’s appreciated

+++

@Dellmassive -
100% the tank needs flushing/cleaning. - as the contaminted fuel is returned to the tank.

you cant rely on the derv filter catching it.

if its not done right - the new HPFP will be damaged and you will end up back at squre one..

do you want me to start a post for you? - to see if other can help?

+++

@Pitt - Yes please that would be fantastic if you could really appreciate your great advice, And you are 100% right I am going to insist they clean the tank

+++

so lets see if we can help out here. . .

The main question would be what fuel are you using and has the fuel filter been changed at regular intervals?

£8600 isn't a million miles out if using all genuine parts. Considering the below comes to £5k +
(based on CXHA engine code)
Injector 04L130277BG £470 + VAT per unit ( x4 required)
Pressure reg - 04L130764B £400 + VAT
Pressure sensor - 04L906054E £100 + VAT
Pump - 04B130755K £1900 + VAT
Total = 4,280 + VAT £5136

You could probably half that cost using OEM parts.

You're local to us so drop an email if you want a full quote. sales@darksidedevelopments.co.uk

Thank DarksideDevelopments
I’ve actually been emailing you and appreciate all your help on this too it’s just that I need it back on the road asap and I know your company are busy and unable to help until end of feb
I will be using you for the future servicing etc as your only in Barnsley
The dealers have said it’s not needed to flush out the tank and I’m really worried about this especially when dellmasive has said it’s very important to do
I don’t want to be in the same boat down the road
The dealers did say it would be covered by 2 years guarantee but it’s all the inconvenience when it does it again
Thanks for your great advice too

The main question would be what fuel are you using and has the fuel filter been changed at regular intervals?

£8600 isn't a million miles out if using all genuine parts. Considering the below comes to £5k +

You're local to us so drop an email if you want a full quote. sales@darksidedevelopments.co.uk
rough labour time for future reference?

any your take on a full fuel system flush - including the tank?

and opinion on VW advice on replacing the fuel lines?

i said flush the lot . . . not replace.

Stick to email if you've already been corresponding

We usually drop and clean the tank, hard lines can be cleaned. I expect VW will only warranty if they replace though.

Crazy not to advise the tank to be inspected / flushed, having seen a few hpfp failures over the years.. I’d not sleep at night without cleaning out what ends up in the tank!

With that size of a bill potentially looming, is it worth replacing the original hpfp as a precaution?

Last edited:
The dealers have said it’s not needed to flush out the tank and I’m really worried
The Tank needs to be flushed out 100% , new lift pump as well.

Hp rail returns any unused fuel back to the Tank , including the contaminated fuel !

I had my HPFP (150hp) changed, due to minute amount of swarf detected in the fuel (vw diagnostic equipment) after a series of rough starts. (Warranty replacement)

VW give the dealer specific guidance which advises the dealer to replace everything the fuel had touched, fuel lines, filter, injectors, lift pump, etc etc and specifically remove the fuel tank and thoroughly wash it out !

Apparently It’s a pig of a job to drop the tank and wash it out. ,

Initially I dropped my van off to the dealer with quarter tank of fuel, (had not been told the tank was coming out )
the garage sent me away, to return at a later booking date with zero fuel! (enough to make it to the dealer literally),
so they could physically lift the tank when it was dropped off its mountings! (I think add blue tank may have had to come out all well, for access, but not 100% sure about that)

IMO what is the point in replacing everything the fuel touches without washing out the contaminated tank which hold the recirculating fuel ???

It make no sense

I would ask VWCV directly to clarify what is required as far as tank flush. It smacks of dealer cutting corners !
Or get a second opinion!

Whilst at it I would be asking for some good will as it’s a known issue

Last edited:
Back