44 And Schooled.

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
So yesterday I had the pleasure of doing a 'drivers awareness' course in Uttoxeter after a slight mishap and nudging over the speed limit in Stoke on trent a while ago.

Now, i've been on the UK's roads for 27 years, and do my share of miles up and down this country every day, but I learnt some things yesterday that I had no idea about.
For instance, did you know it's legal to use your phone on a handsfree device, but if you cause a crash and the phone conversation was a contributing factor, you're liable to prosecution, or prison in worst cases. How's that for confusing.
Did you also know that your reaction times are often slower whilst engaged in conversation on a phone, than someone over the drink drive limit :eek:

I also learnt a lot about 'Smart' motorways and how they are now catching and prosecuting more middle lane hoggers, and tailgaters, than speeding offences. They use a clever computer algorithm that monitors every single vehicle with sensors in the road every few yards. When you see the speed limit change on overhead gantry, this isn't from a CCTV operator, it's basically us. The computer constantly adjusts the limit depending on the conditions miles further back. This system also knows if your vehicle has dropped onto limp mode, and Red crosses the lane behind the vehicle. It detects breakdowns, people speeding, driving erratically, middle lane driving and a whole list of offences, then automatically sends the driver a penalty notice. (middle laners, that's £100 fine and 3 points) same for tailgaters.

Overall the course was actually quite interesting, and the instructors were really good, but learning stuff like this was a bonus for moron tailgating speeders like me.

Nice one.

What I've always wondered is, if you're driving at say 70 and the the gantry sign switches to 50 as you are driving directly underneath it, is there any sort of delay to allow you to decelerate to 50 without getting snapped straight away?

Nice one.

What I've always wondered is, if you're driving at say 70 and the the gantry sign switches to 50 as you are driving directly underneath it, is there any sort of delay to allow you to decelerate to 50 without getting snapped straight away?

15 seconds according to yesterday. It was asked.

Nice one.

10 seconds

All good stuff.
Knew all of the first stuff.
Interesting about the smart motorways, knew it was linked to sensors that monitor the traffic but, it actually being used for those pesky lane 2/3 hoggers, that is great. I thought that you could only be caught speeding when the speed reduction kicked in, as that was what turned the speed camera’s on that are only located on certain gantries. That thought was based upon driving on the M42, where I have only seen camera flashes (not flashing me obviously cos I Drive Miss Daisy) when the smart speed system has kicked in. When the speed reduction is not on, had people barrel past at the same location, and nothing.

S
...but if you cause a crash and the phone conversation was a contributing factor, you're liable to prosecution, or prison in worst cases. How's that for confusing.

Exactly the same for eating/drinking/smoking. If there is evidence that your driving was affected, a prosecution will follow.

Didn’t know about the middle lane hoggers. Intrigued how that works and what it’s parameters are, maybe they should broadcast its capabilities as word certainly hasn’t made it between Telford and Birmingham judging by the amount of people still incurring my wrath on a daily basis.

I loooooove the fact that middle laners are gonna get fined, it's a pet hate cos I stay left. It's a pain to then cross 3 lanes just to pass some t*t in a BMW doing 65 in the middle lane cos he's on the phone :mad:

Just fine everyone with a BMW. Every week.
Simples.:D
Woah woah woah. I drive a BMW Monday to Friday, and when using the motorway i’m never in lane 2. Always lane 3 and doing 20mph over the permissable limit as per the exemptions afforded to me under the road traffic act.;)

I loooooove the fact that middle laners are gonna get fined, it's a pet hate cos I stay left. It's a pain to then cross 3 lanes just to pass some t*t in a BMW doing 65 in the middle lane cos he's on the phone :mad:

You can legally pass on the nearside if you are doing 70 mph.

@DaveyB is that right? Does that apply across your profession? Knew I should have gone there after school.

You can legally pass on the nearside if you are doing 70 mph

:eek: really? Why didn't I know about that? And why do I feel guilty for doing it cos I can't be arsed crossing 3 lanes!
Is this right? This could be a nasty bag of worms if it's wrong....

So yesterday I had the pleasure of doing a 'drivers awareness' course in Uttoxeter after a slight mishap and nudging over the speed limit in Stoke on trent a while ago.

Now, i've been on the UK's roads for 27 years, and do my share of miles up and down this country every day, but I learnt some things yesterday that I had no idea about.
For instance, did you know it's legal to use your phone on a handsfree device, but if you cause a crash and the phone conversation was a contributing factor, you're liable to prosecution, or prison in worst cases. How's that for confusing.
Did you also know that your reaction times are often slower whilst engaged in conversation on a phone, than someone over the drink drive limit :eek:

I also learnt a lot about 'Smart' motorways and how they are now catching and prosecuting more middle lane hoggers, and tailgaters, than speeding offences. They use a clever computer algorithm that monitors every single vehicle with sensors in the road every few yards. When you see the speed limit change on overhead gantry, this isn't from a CCTV operator, it's basically us. The computer constantly adjusts the limit depending on the conditions miles further back. This system also knows if your vehicle has dropped onto limp mode, and Red crosses the lane behind the vehicle. It detects breakdowns, people speeding, driving erratically, middle lane driving and a whole list of offences, then automatically sends the driver a penalty notice. (middle laners, that's £100 fine and 3 points) same for tailgaters.

Overall the course was actually quite interesting, and the instructors were really good, but learning stuff like this was a bonus for moron tailgating speeders like me.

Reading the above comments, I wonder if any of you actually go out on todays roads :whistle:

There's no excuse for that kind of risk, but I see that sort of driving every single day. Very few drivers give a crap anymore, so long as they get where they want to be, as fast as they can. The only thing that slows them down is a physical camera, and once they past that, they are full bore again. Hardly anyone uses indicators anymore, drivers exit motorways at the last second to get 1 car ahead, risking everyone else, they hog middle and outside lanes, jump red lights that don't have cameras, speed through villages unless there's a camera, use their phones, do their make-up... I see it every day, time after time.

Since the general lack of visible police vehicles, there's been a huge attitude change in drivers, and the standards are often appalling, dog eat dog, little or no courtesy, vehicles not maintained properly anymore, the list goes on and on. I hate being out on the road now in this country, and wish I didn't have to.

Why didn't I know about that? And why do I feel guilty for doing it cos I can't be arsed crossing 3 lanes!
Is this right? This could be a nasty bag of worms if it's wrong....
I think it is along the lines of "travelling in a one-way street where the right-hand lane is travelling slower than the left".
The middle lane hoggers thing sounds like scaremongering to me as when the first smart section of the M42 opened the signs always said stay in lane and avoid overtaking.

There's no excuse for that kind of risk, but I see that sort of driving every single day. Very few drivers give a crap anymore, so long as they get where they want to be, as fast as they can. The only thing that slows them down is a physical camera, and once they past that, they are full bore again. Hardly anyone uses indicators anymore, drivers exit motorways at the last second to get 1 car ahead, risking everyone else, they hog middle and outside lanes, jump red lights that don't have cameras, speed through villages unless there's a camera, use their phones, do their make-up... I see it every day, time after time.

Since the general lack of visible police vehicles, there's been a huge attitude change in drivers, and the standards are often appalling, dog eat dog, little or no courtesy, vehicles not maintained properly anymore, the list goes on and on. I hate being out on the road now in this country, and wish I didn't have to.

Couldn't agree more. And the big answer to all this is to put noise testing along with the average speed cameras. Or have a purge at motorcycle meeting places and book the ones with slightly undersized number plates. Boils my pi$$.

I remember when the new 6 point and fine penalty for mobile phones came in. GMP facebook page said they were having a purge. That day I saw a cop in a Marked Police Transit driving along with his phone to his ear.

Back