44 And Schooled.

I used my phone a lot. My role required co-ordinating police resources on the ground. Often the radio didn't work and the handsfree was crap. Those were genuine life and death matters though even I wasn't on blues & twos. Each cop now knows it is their personal responsibility to prove the use. If you can't, there isn't a magic get out of jail free card for cops. Certainly, you are more likely to be done- twice; once by the police/courts and then again by the police discipline.

If that is the case why do you get pulled over for undertaking, or “passing on the near side”?. Perhaps the clarification is that when in queuing traffic if the near side is moving quicker than the lane to the offside, that is fine. Whereas passing to the near side, whether doing 70 or otherwise is not permissible, in normal traffic conditions.
However, with everything, you rolls the dice you take your chance. If you want to pass to the nearside rather than move out then so be it. Be interesting to see where the fault will lie when the car being undertaken moves in and there is an impact.

maybe they should broadcast its capabilities as word certainly hasn’t made it between Telford and Birmingham judging by the amount of people still incurring my wrath on a daily basis.

Someone asked that exact question, and apparently the reason all these new features are not common knowledge is simply because the Highways agency say there are too many channels on TV and Radio to realistically inform everyone, which seemed a bit of an excuse to me.

Also correct, you can pass on the inside of someone not abiding to the maximum speed limit.

All this information was from the instructors, and I see no reason why they'd invent it, or exaggerate the facts, but you never know I guess.

So here is a direct lift from the Highway Code.

Overtaking on the nearside (left) is legally acceptable if you are driving on a multi-lane carriageway in congested conditions, and the lane to the left is moving at a faster speed than lanes to the right. In these circumstances overtaking on the left is permissible although extra caution is needed for an awareness of other vehicles moving to the faster lane on the left.

So the keyword to me is “congestion”.

So here is a direct lift from the Highway Code.

Overtaking on the nearside (left) is legally acceptable if you are driving on a multi-lane carriageway in congested conditions, and the lane to the left is moving at a faster speed than lanes to the right. In these circumstances overtaking on the left is permissible although extra caution is needed for an awareness of other vehicles moving to the faster lane on the left.

So the keyword to me is “congestion”.

Words of the instructor was as follows: if someone is driving on the outside lane below the speed limit, and the lanes next to them are free, it's perfectly legal to undertake. He also said it's not called undertaking in that circumstance, but I don't recall what he said it was officially called.

IMO also okay if you do not make a manoeuvre, an undertaking as far as I'm concerned is; move left, pass the vehicle, move right again. If I never changed lane and undertake an MLH then he is in the wrong, and also roads are never, not congested these days.

I used my phone a lot. My role required co-ordinating police resources on the ground. Often the radio didn't work and the handsfree was crap. Those were genuine life and death matters though even I wasn't on blues & twos. Each cop now knows it is their personal responsibility to prove the use. If you can't, there isn't a magic get out of jail free card for cops. Certainly, you are more likely to be done- twice; once by the police/courts and then again by the police discipline.
Agreed. Not only that, the book will be slung double hard because you would be classified as a “professional driver” having to go through regular and rigorous refresher/advanced driver training, and therefore someone who should know better.
I got breathalysed and interviewed under caution just for being on blue lights at a junction, waiting to cross and make progress, when two vehicles collided in front of me. It is because they may not have crashed had it not been due to you being in the vicinity.
The worst part being was that I was in a marked Police Car, with a Police driving instructor, but I am not Police!!! Explain that one to the inspector who turned up to investigate the “technical PolAcc”.
Took 8 weeks to get a letter through the post to say I had been found not-guilty of any driving offence!

I've yet to see a smart motorway congested. IMO they have cured many of the previous problems I prevuisly saw or heard on Radio2 everyvday.
That’s why Sally Traffic had to retire.:laugh:
On her final day when Chris Evans gave her that old series 1 Land Rover she was heard muttering “bloody smart motorways, put me out of a job, grrrrr”.

On her final day when Chris Evans gave her that old series 1 Land Rover she was heard muttering “bloody smart motorways, put me out of a job, grrrrr”.

I miss those silky tones.

Dont want to be pedantic but it was Lynn Bowles who had the land rover :whistle:

I always thought you could undertake, providing you didn't make a manoeuvre out of lane.
We were taking about the highway code and driving test the other day and all of us agreed we would fail if we had to take an updated one

I always thought you could undertake, providing you didn't make a manoeuvre out of lane.
We were taking about the highway code and driving test the other day and all of us agreed we would fail if we had to take an updated one

Judging by the silence and confused looks on pretty much all faces when even the most basic questions were asked, none of us would pass a driving test again.

Unless that was just a Stoke on trent thing :whistle:

Surely if the police were there to catch anyone undertaking then they should be pulling over the lane hogger first as they would of force the manoeuvre

One of my boys learned to drive last year and another this year. I am averaging 98% on the Theory/Hazard perception. I'm confident in what I know. Trying to get other people to look something up for themselves is another matter entirely!

Back