44 And Schooled.

I've yet to see a smart motorway congested. IMO they have cured many of the previous problems I prevuisly saw or heard on Radio2 everyvday.

You need to try to drive round the M60 smart sections between J18 to J12 (Trafford Centre) at rush hour. Massive congestion everyday, in fact 1 day I timed my progress as 23.5 min for 1.5 miles and that wasn't really unusual.

They're converting the M1 from junction 15 to roughly Junction 11 to a smart motorway currently and while I'm not normaĺly a middle lane moron the inside lane is ferkin dangerous with trucks who are obviously not restricted to 50 mph and appear to be invisible to specs cameras too or is it the DK and SK letters on their registration plates that exempt them?

While having a pop at good ole truckers what's the point of adding the hard shoulder as an extra traffic lane on these smart motorways apart from it now enabling three trucks instead of just two to travel abreast of each other at 56, 56.25 and 56.5 mph respectively for 3.5 miles... just me then...?:cautious:

Seem to recollect from days of old, there was a stated case on undertaking. I'll keep trying to find it.

But if you take the word 'undertaking' and proceed it with either the word, Dangerous (Sec 2 RTA88) or Careless (Sec 3 RTA88) then that's were it could get a wee bit tricky.

As @DaveyB points out from the highway code, undertaking in slow moving congested traffic in lanes isnt either of the above. A bit like filtering on a motorcycle. Your both under and overtaking simultaneously. Done with sensible care and at low speed, it isnt really an issue. However weaving in and out of 70+mph traffic is dangerous. The problems the bit in the middle. If you research the definition of careless driving and dangerous driving under the Road Traffic Act 1988, it can become a bit fuzzy trying to decide where the transition may fall. Taking into account the particular set of circumstances, under which the particular manoeuvre in question occured.

Anyway, best of luck convincing the court folks. Hope it works out. :D

The M60 'smart' motorway has had no effect whatsoever, there is a junction every 1.5 miles on average so the speed management aspect of the system cannot work, the signs flash up to tell you to do 40 or 50 when you're hitting the back of stationary traffic

Cost hundreds of millions and took 4 years to implement and the reality is that it's only real benefit is to catch more motorists and to shovel public funds into government contracts

The M60 'smart' motorway has had no effect whatsoever, there is a junction every 1.5 miles on average so the speed management aspect of the system cannot work, the signs flash up to tell you to do 40 or 50 when you're hitting the back of stationary traffic

Cost hundreds of millions and took 4 years to implement and the reality is that it's only real benefit is to catch more motorists and to shovel public funds into government contracts

Fully agree. In fact if anything its now worse. Often during the day on the few occasions the traffic is free flowing then the speed signs can be on at 50 or 60. Im sure its on a timer on the M60. Plus on one Sat afternoon, no traffic and going eastbound onto the 62 for 1 sign (about 1/2 mile) the speed limit dropped to 50. Madness.

I've been on smart motorway stretches where it does work well, the schlep up the M1 and onto the M62 used to be a massive ballache that I had to suffer every other week but the smart motorway massively improved it by smoothing the flow of traffic, but joining the M60 from the m602 still takes 25-30 mins to do everyday covering 1 mile

Doesn't help that Muppet Burnham has made the east lancs a 2 lane road with 1 lane devoted to nom-existent buses :mad:

Back